Thread: Edmonton's best Steakhouse or restaurant to go for Steak?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton's best Steakhouse or restaurant to go for Steak?

Here's a "best-of" topic that should generate a lot of debate!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I have yet to have a bad steak at:
    - Sawmill
    - Moose Factory
    - Keg
    - Joey Tomatoes

Still need to try Ruth Chris.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

The steak at Lux is awesome. Expensive, but tender and delicious.

Von's in Old Strathcona is also very good.
    Almost always open to debate...

My backyard bbq.

Seriously.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Will be prepared and consumed at home tonite!

Get your meat from a good butcher, mine is ACME Meat market on 76th ave (3rd generation). Get a quality steak and it's hard to go wrong!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

I really don't care if you're the greatest backyard BBQ cook on the planet - take it to another thread. This is about restaurants and which of them serve the best steak.

Banned

To be fair, you only asked the best steak in Edmonton - you didn't specify from an Edmonton restaurant.

wow are you ever grouchy. What did you expect when you asked about Edmonton's best steak? Everyone can bbq steak, but not do most of the other "best of" categories. Maybe you should have specified that you only wanted to know about Steak Houses...I really enjoy the Copper Pot or Rics
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

I can cook a really wicked burger at home, but I didn't feel the need to mention that in the "best burger" thread (which didn't specify restaurants either) because unless I invite the entire city over for a BBQ, such an answer is absolutely useless to everyone else but myself. OK?

As for Ric's, I had a steak at their downtown location about a month ago and I wasn't impressed.

I had the best steak of my life at the Keg Strathcona. I took some musicians from Ontario there for some AB beef, and they were blown away too! That said - it's rare (no pun intended) that I can afford a good restaurant steak, so I don't think I'll be trying Ruth's Chris corn fed beef anytime soon.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I barbecued it myself.

(runs ducks and hides...)
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Although not in Edmonton Delmonico's Steakhouse in Las Vegas (The Venetian) is better than anything I have had in Edmonton (just mentioning as many Edmontonians head down to Vegas). I believe it is similar to Ruth's Chris (or Chris Ruth's) although I have yet to try that place out.

In Edmonton I used to really like the steak at Hy's Steakloft but they are no longer around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really don't care if you're the greatest backyard BBQ cook on the planet...
    No offense taken.

I have eaten steaks from all different kinds of restaurants and I (IMHO) can grill a good cut of meat just as well, if not better, than most over-priced places.

It's not so much where the best steak can be found, but rather, what type of cut of meat they prepare. As far as grain-fed Alberta beef...when I was last state-side, I had the opportunity to try Nebraska corn-fed beef and it was VERY GOOD.

for reasonably priced, Joey's.....very good actually.

ruth's chris yet to try, but i believe it will be my top.

but yes, other than my own...i very much like manor house or 109st bistro
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

In Guantanamo (Banned)

the Outback.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Not a fan of Ric's, really, or Joey's. They're pretty good, I guess, but not amazing.

Personally I am VERY partial to the baseball steak at the Keg. God what a piece of meat you get. However the best steak I've ever had was 15 years ago, maybe 10, at the Hardware grill. It was bison, I believe, and absolutely amazing. And tiny.

Best all around is hands down Coliseum Steak Pizza. The service is always perfect, the steaks can't be beat for taste, tender and properly cooked. To top it off the price is very reasonable.

I've heard this, but have never made it out. Is Coliseum Pizza and steak still pretty good?

I always get a delicious steak at Von's. I find most of the restaurants in Edmonton overcook their steaks, which drives me insane.

Best non-Edmonton steak I've had was the Kobe beef steak at Cut in Los Angeles (2 Michelin star restaurant). 6 oz, $200 (and no, I wasn't paying).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by JTM View Post
    I've heard this, but have never made it out. Is Coliseum Pizza and steak still pretty good?
    Been there forever, somewhat of an institution. Yes, still very good and reasonable prices, friendly efficient staff, decent food nothing fancy, great steaks, and good old-fashioned thick crust pizzas with tonnes of cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    My backyard bbq.

Seriously.
    x infinity

Spending money on steak at a restaurant is for chumps. If you go out to eat, get something you can't make at home for $6.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Admin - please change title to "Edmonton's Best Steakhouse" so that we can cease with the useless "at home" answers.

I haven't been to Coliseum Pizza for years. But they did have yummy, juicy steaks. I will make it a priority to go there in the next month.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Admin - please change title to "Edmonton's Best Steakhouse" so that we can cease with the useless "at home" answers.
    By your command.

Thanks, Admin!
    I am going to try the new downtown Chop sometime soon. Hopefully the food is as nice as their lounge.

Where did Chop open up downtown? I ate at the West End location awhile ago, and it was enjoyable, though the steak was overcooked.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Sutton Place

Not a steakhouse per se - but my dad, the original meat and potatoes guy - and a friend of his both pronounced the steaks at Normands on Jasper Ave - "best they ever had."

And they done had a few in their day!
    ... gobsmacked

^Normad's has good steak and great other game steaks. Love their fall medallion selection.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    Been there forever, somewhat of an institution. Yes, still very good and reasonable prices, friendly efficient staff, decent food nothing fancy, great steaks, and good old-fashioned thick crust pizzas with tonnes of cheese.
    is it fairly clean or somewhat a dive/ghetto? Thinking of going with family.

You might call Coliseum dated - but it`s clean and, as a side dish, not overly noisy.
    ... gobsmacked

Family is very welcome, although kids menu is limited also - pizza is always the best choice. Don't be fooled by the size of the pizza they are very cheesy and lots of toppings to fill you up. I find it to be very clean, the kitchen and grilling area are open to view through windows, so they can't hide much.

The dress attire of the customers will vary greatly, some suits to others in manual labour work clothes. You will also run into EPS members frequently, dining - not 'working'. For the most part is is a very casual.

As stated the decor is bit dated, but it also somewhat nostalgic for us long time guests, who can recall the days of Gretz, Anderson and Mess pulling up a chair at the table beside you.

Is it fairly clean or somewhat a dive/ghetto? Thinking of going with family.
    Clean, never a complaint from our clan. Dated yes, but that's part of the enjoyment at least for us. We've seen a number of families there, toddlers to teens. Reasonable prices and customers from all walks of life. Overall a decent place, honest food (nothing fancy), with efficient-friendly service.

I quite like having Collesium S & P as my local restuarant around the corner. Agreed with the other posters.. good food and good prices, clean but dated decor (but I, like others, find that's part of the charm) Good serivce. As a bonus, probably one of the better collections of authentic Oilers memorabelia in the city. On this topic.. I have had steak there, and it is pretty good. Still think the best steak I've had in the city was at Hy's before it closed.

Going to try Ruths' Chris sometime soon... I am rebuilding a vintage Fiori Road bike, and hoping I can sell it for $250, and we've decided we're using the proceeds to go to R. C. Can't wait ot check it out!
    Parkdale

^Prime Rib Sunday is cheap and good.
    www.decl.org

Had dinner at the downtown Chop @ Sutton Place last night.

I chose the lounge because it has a good atmosphere, not to mention the mini-skirted eye candy. It's a good place if you're dining solo because of the number of hotel guests there. The lounge was very busy until about 7:30 PM, probably because of the hockey game.

My meal gets a passing grade - good enough to hit the spot and it's hard to get steak wrong in this province, but I'd probably prefer the Keg. No complaints about the service, just a couple of minor hiccups - these poor souls get a lot of exercise traversing up and down those stairs (kitchen is upstairs).

Definitely a good after-work hangout.

Top_Dawg recently discovered that Royal Pizza Strathcona makes really good steak.

The place is pretty laid back.

Decor is dated but what the hell.

And on Sunday nights they have a steak special - NY strip ( Top_Dawg thinks it's a 8 oz ) and one side for under twenny buck.

Top_Dawg has had it about five times and each time it was made perfect.

Definitely recommend.

The Marc

The Marc was named "best steak", and "best service" by Avenue and their frites are #3 on The Tomato's Top 100 Best Things to Eat or Drink in Edmonton list.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Have a fellow foodie coming to town this weekend.. First time in Alberta and he really wants to try our famous Alberta beef. I keep seeing the same names popping up over and over again and have narrowed down to the following 3:

Coliseum Steak and Pizza
    Normands
    Black Bull Steak & Pizza

first and foremost my main concern is food. secondly, i am looking for atmoshphere. it doesn't have to be 5 star but i don't want some run down place either. this is what concerns me about coliseum. is it that bad? i've also, heard great things about Black Bull Steak & Pizza on the west end. Anyone ever been? anyone recommend a better steak house that maybe we've missed on this thread?

appreciate any insight you can offer.

Normands is fantastic for game, less so steak.

I would check menus but offer these:

1. Red Ox Inn - hands down my fav
    2. Hardware Grill
    3. The Marc
    www.decl.org

I completely forgot this place still exists!
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/03/0...y-is-wonderful

What a delightful surprise. Combining atmosphere, service, food and value, The Moose Factory is – full stop, end of discussion - the best steakhouse in Northern Alberta.

C2E Posting Power

I completely forgot this place still exists!
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/03/0...y-is-wonderful

What a delightful surprise. Combining atmosphere, service, food and value, The Moose Factory is – full stop, end of discussion - the best steakhouse in Northern Alberta.
    I'd sooner starve than give a nickel to the shin chiseling Goodchild. Did you know he makes his servers pay for their customers credit card transactions?

Is that legal? If this is true, thank you for the heads up! I'll inquire on that issue myself.

As per the quality of the barbecue, it all depends how experience a chef is. One can go to Ruth Chris and spend a fortune and may not get good quality. However, High priced steak normally will be good as they would have to hire well qualified chefs.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Is that legal? If this is true, thank you for the heads up! I'll inquire on that issue myself.

As per the quality of the barbecue, it all depends how experience a chef is. One can go to Ruth Chris and spend a fortune and may not get good quality. However, High priced steak normally will be good as they would have to hire well qualified chefs.
    Legal? Not sure.....but as long as his Friday luncheons with his head bobbing, yes-men posse watch him go to the BOH and exit with a giant envelope of cash...what diff does it make?

It makes a difference if it is true because I will not support such practice, and neither will my friends and associates. You and other patronage also have a hand in doing the right thing; that is how we make a difference.