Thread: Pecha Kucha nights help Edmonton recognize its creativity

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Pecha Kucha nights help Edmonton recognize its creativity

— New adult ‘show and tell’ events part art, part performance in just 400 seconds!

Edmonton is full of great design ideas and talent. Whether it’s industrial or interior design, fashion or photography, architecture or landscape design – Edmonton has it. But like most other cities, Edmonton has few if any places where local designers can regularly meet to show off their work and discuss what’s new and cutting edge. That is, until now.

On May 1st, 2008 Edmonton’s Next Gen Initiative held the city’s (and western Canada’s) first ever Pecha Kucha Night at the Winspear Center. The event was a great success with over 300 people attending to hear 13 presenters talk about their various design projects and ideas. Pronounced ‘peh-chak-cha’ (derived from the Japanese phrase for ‘chit-chat’), Pecha Kucha Night is best described as a timed grown-up show-and-tell for designers.

Next Gen as you may recall, is a City Committee committed to creating a city that attracts and gives voice to the next generation of young Edmontonians. It acts as a hub for networking and learning events, fosters leadership opportunities, and supports initiatives of interest like Pecha Kucha Night. Working with Klein Dytham architecture in Tokyo (who founded the movement in 2003), Next Gen secured the right to host Pecha Kucha Nights in Edmonton joining a family of 120 cities worldwide.

So what makes Pecha Kucha Night so great? It’s simple, fast and fun. First off, anyone can attend the event. No fancy degrees, square rimmed glasses or black turtle-necks required. Second, the founders of this global movement (Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham) recognized the need early on to keep presentations concise and flowing. What resulted is their trademark format: presenters can show only 20 slides, speak 20 seconds per slide, and in six minutes and forty seconds, get off the stage. That’s it, next presenter. No long speeches or painful questions-within-a-question to answer or sit through.

Pecha Kucha Night is not your normal lecture either – it’s fast. This has both a liberating and leveling effect on presenters. Not only are they freed from having to explain every little detail about their work, they also get the same amount of time to speak regardless of their experience. Oh yes, and the fact that presenters have no control over their slides helps things clip along too. No going backwards, pausing, or skipping ahead. All presenters have exactly 20 seconds to make their point and move on. They are challenged to not only show the best image, but speak to it before it automatically switches to their next slide.

This makes Pecha Kucha Night fun. Part art, part performance, audience members enjoy a new speaker every seven minutes and a total of 10 to 14 presentations a night. Because it is a design show and tell, people are allowed to chit-chat during the presentation or hold their comments until the 20 minute half-time. This allows people to stretch, grab a drink or snack, mingle to music, and ask any burning questions they may have of the presenters. After the final presentation, further conversation, music, and drinks ensue.

The benefit of Pecha Kucha Night is that it stimulates conversation, relationships, new ideas, cross-disciplinary thinking, collaboration, and even the odd job or two. This is exactly what Pecha Kucha Night is about and why it works. It gives local designers a place to present their ideas; talk about their work, meet like minds, schmooze, and maybe even find some new work in the process.

Many people who have attended a Pecha Kucha Night have said it inspires, informs or challenges their thinking. I think this is what our city needs more of. Edmonton needs to recognize its own creativity and great ideas, share these, and not be bashful about them. Pecha Kucha Night provides a soap-box for this and incubator for action. Sure some ideas will remain ideas. But we have to give them voice if we want to change how it is we live today. Talking about design is a start. How we frame and channel this discourse into action is the next step. Maybe it’s choosing to buy our clothes from a local designer. Maybe it’s speaking in support of affordable housing that is well designed. Or maybe it’s speaking at City Council in favor of increased funding for local artists. The choice is ours to make – so let’s talk about it. See you at the next Pecha Kucha Night in Edmonton!

If you are interested in attending (or presenting at) the next Pecha Kucha Night in Edmonton, please visit: http://www.pecha-kucha.org/cities/edmonton or http://www.edmontonnextgen.ca/ for more information.

-- Michael Strong

Note: The next Pecha Kucha Night in Edmonton will be Sept. 11 at a location to be announced.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default NextGen on Connect2Edmonton

May 29, 2008
    Edmonton's Next Generation Newsletter

http://www.industrymailout.com/Indus...d=89108&p=2d80

Pecha Kucha nights help Edmonton recognize its creativity on Connect2Edmonton

Check out the article that Michael Strong from Next Gen wrote for C2Edmonton on Pecha Kucha.

And please click on the 'discuss link' at the end of the article if you have any comments!

First One is Always Free

Hi! Thank you for posting about Pecha Kucha and providing the link. I may just check it out... sounds facinating!
    ~Cats are just a bundle of purr.~

Partially Addicted to C2E

Pecha Kucha was one of the best events I have attended this year so far. I feel sorry for all the those people who were invited to attend but skipped out. I am sure they will not miss it next time around. A very inspiring, educating evening. Can we have many more, please?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Maybe we should do a C2E outing at the next one on 9/11
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sounds like the ancient tradition of "Speakers' Corner" only for the arts more than for politics...
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

First One is Always Free

Default Call for Presenters - Pecha Kucha Night, Sept 11

PECHA KUCHA NIGHT
    20 Images | 20 Seconds

Klein Dytham Architecture in Tokyo devised Pecha Kucha, the Japanese phrase for "the sound of chitchat" in 2003, as a night for young designers to meet, network, and discuss their projects. The catch: each designer gives a presentation containing only 20 images, each shown for 20 seconds, for a total presentation length of six minutes 40 seconds. These constraints challenge presenters to clarify their ideas and to match each thought with the perfect image.

Pecha Kucha is a grown-up show-and-tell night currently running in more than 130 cities worldwide. In addition to hearing provocative presentations by Edmonton's young creative minds, attendees can have a few cocktails and groove to the sounds of a local DJ.

Presenting at the next Pecha Kucha night is a fantastic opportunity to showcase your work and open doors to a larger community of designers. We encourage anyone interested in participating to submit a presentation. We will be looking for 10 presenters for Pecha Kucha Night # 2 happening on the evening of September 11, 2008 at the TransAlta Arts Barns.

Our deadline for presentation submissions is: Monday, August 18, 2008. If you or someone you know is interested in presenting or you would like further information on submission requirements please contact Christine Causing, Next Gen Coordinator, for more information on how to submit: [email protected] or
    call: 780-496-4889.

Formed in 2006, Edmonton's Next Gen is focused on creating a city that attracts and gives a voice to the next generation in the life and growth of Edmonton's communities. For more information, visit www.edmontonnextgen.com.

For more info on Pecha Kucha visit: http://www.pecha-kucha.org/cities/edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

I am hoping that many will have details on how it went. Especially the future Deadmonton Festival.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Quote Originally Posted by booster View Post
    I am hoping that many will have details on how it went. Especially the future Deadmonton Festival.
    ^ Well, there were certainly a lot of C2E members in attendance.

newfangled's presentation was fantastic, he did a wonderful job and from a totally biased view his was the best of the evening! This was also part of the buzz I heard during the event. I also heard the same at Pack Rat Louie's where myself and several of my colleagues went after and the topic came up with some people we ran into.

Also, ask IanO, ChrisD, Ceres, Lux Beauty(!) as they were only a few C2E members that were there.

Will post more details and impressions when I get a chance.

To those that did not make it out -- you missed a great event -- check it out in the new year at the next (third) one!

twas a fun night...and ridiculously popular. Sold out to 300 and a lineup out the door.

Great venue, good music/food/bevs, and some very interesting presentations.

My only issue was that a couple of the presentations felt like sale jobs. They need to present design, not product.

Newfangled's presentation may have been the best of the night IMO and had a lot of people thinking and laughing. I am SO IN for those T-shirts, let's talk

cant wait until the next one
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

" And Christian Nelson - an imaginative engineer - got a good life with his turning "Deadmonton" into a catchy brand as a Halloween festival. Maybe not too practical but a fun flight of fantasy into Deadmonton has having a funky fun Rocky Horror sense to it, rather than the normal put down."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^ not practical? pffft.

I do enjoy that "engineer" always needs an adjective in front of it though.

Having spent an inordinate amount of time with engineers due to being the daughter of one and five years working PR for the professional association in Alberta the one thing I can say about engineers is that they DO NOT fit into any mold. Some are great musicians, artists and that no adjective will be encompassing enough.

It would be like using the adjectives "self-serving, unimaginative, uninspired and uninspiring..." before columnists. That would just be wrong (mostly).

^but they do take 10mins to have a 2min conversation.
    www.decl.org

You met an engineer that can have a conversation? Wow!

^zing
    www.decl.org

grish

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    You met an engineer that can have a conversation? Wow!
    they are very common, except they talk in point form...

pffft.

grish

or in grunts:

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    pffft.

Went to #8 last night and as it was the first one I could attend was not sure what to expect. All I have to say is Edmonton made me proud last night. Great energy, good to great presentations, lots of discussion, good preamble from the two chairmen, etc.

Gives me hope that at the same time the Mayor was being heckled and taunted that I was amongst a crowd of people who understood the concept of thinking big, thinking small, and heck, just thinking! The main theme last night was food. Great job Pecha Kucha committee!

Good to hear.

I typically attend but had to watch MPS.
    www.decl.org

Mps??

www.decl.org

Ahh, understand now.