Thread: City Wide LRT Visions from the past...

Default City Wide LRT Visions from the past...

Was going through my archive for other things and wandered through these again... uploaded them for you

Actual

Older proposals

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

so much squandered time

so much squandered opportunity

Calgary => 45 km and 37 stations
    Ottawa => 8 km and 5 stations
    Montreal => 66 km and 68 stations
    Toronto => 68 km and 69 stations
    Vancouver => 80 km and 64 stations (end of Canada line 2009 & Evergreen line 2011)

and (drum roll please)... Edmonton 23 km and 15 stations (end of SLRT 2010)

Calgary and 37 stations - only if you count half stations as full stations.

You missed some other cities in Canada

Hamilton - 0 and 0
    Winnipeg 0 and 0

Ottawa also has a much superior bus transit system, and some of its on an complete separated ROW - they also have just formed a new ambitious plan for LRT

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Long Term Contributor

When you at them, some of those old plans are really not as far-off from what's being done now.
    nLRT seems to more or less follow the same route to Royal Alex and NAIT.
    wLRT from Churchill and along 107 Ave has been discussed recently, although those plans are pre-WEM.
    The sLRT is off by 10 blocks, although the old plan also took Millwoods into account.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 28-05-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I think, as much is it's easy to blame the City of Edmonton or Government of Alberta for the delays in the LRT, part of the delay was caused by the U of A, who wanted an underground station, and the CPR, who did not allow the LRT to be built across the High Level Bridge.

In my experience, I also felt that there was not a lot of interest in expanding the LRT, and provincial cuts virtually killed it. With gas around 50 cents a litre during much of the '80s and '90s, people viewed the LRT and transit system as a joke. Edmonton could have built the LRT along the old CN rail line to Calder, but there was no vision.

What about the neighbourhoods that fought the prospect of LRT lines in their neighbourhood? I am tired of these neighbourhoods who would rather posture and pull political stunts with the city, instead of participating in the political process.

I think that Stephen Mandel is right to push the vision of the LRT. He has courage, and a vision for the city, which includes the LRT. I think that Edmonton has to shake this image of being risk-averse.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Question: What exactly do you mean when you say "half stations?" A station is a station, the train stops there, people get on and off, and it moves on... I don't get it. Sure there are some that require more infrastructure etc, but what's the real difference???

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Question: What exactly do you mean when you say "half stations?" A station is a station, the train stops there, people get on and off, and it moves on... I don't get it. Sure there are some that require more infrastructure etc, but what's the real difference???
    Along 7th Ave:

A lot of the stations only let you get off going one way. As opposed to a full station where you can get off going either way. Their stations are staggered like that.

Calgary LRT traffic is really too busy during rush periods though: there is pretty much LRT gridlock trough the downtown core since there are trains waiting for trains in front to leave the station, or are waiting at lights. Standing in a packed LRT car on a hot day when a train is stuck is hell.

Hamilton - 0 and 0
    Winnipeg 0 and 0
    we could count other things..... to emphasize the squandered time... the squandered opportunity => light rail (LR) & bus (MB) ridership stats

Light Rail (LR) Trips Thru Dec 07:
    - Calgary: 69,990,000
    - Edmonton: 13,354,000

... and to see how Calgarians embrace transit - Total Light Rail (LR) & Bus (MB) Trips Thru Dec 07:
    - Calgary: 144,069,000
    - Edmonton: 98,197,000

(by the by... does your city aspire to Winnipeg... to Hamilton..... just asking? )

Hamilton - 0 and 0
    Winnipeg 0 and 0

Ottawa also has a much superior bus transit system, and some of its on an complete separated ROW - they also have just formed a new ambitious plan for LRT

Having lived in Hamilton, I can say they have all the LRT/subway system they need. Hamiltonians are avid users of GO transit however to commute to Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ins View Post
    Having lived in Hamilton, I can say they have all the LRT/subway system they need. Hamiltonians are avid users of GO transit however to commute to Toronto.
    I guess thats why Hamilton is currently looking at investing in a LRT system ?

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...sibilityStudy/

In February 2007, Public Works Committee and Council endorsed the Hamilton Transportation Master Plan (HTMP). Included in the HTMP was a rapid transit strategy, which included 3 rapid transit corridors:

• King/Main between Eastgate Square and McMaster University (east/west);
    • James/Upper James between Downtown and Rymal Road (north/south); and
    • An East-West route across the Mountain

At the time that the HTMP was completed, it was envisioned that Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lines would be used in Hamilton, with the potential to move to Light Rail Transit (LRT) in the long term.

As a result of the Province’s MoveOntario 2020 initiative (June 2007), accelerated rapid transit planning in Hamilton has been made possible. The MoveOntario 2020 funding may also make LRT in the short term more feasible than it appeared when the HTMP was prepared.

click for larger image

The City of Hamilton has since retained the services of McCormick Rankin Corporation to prepare a Rapid Transit Feasibility Study. The results of this initial study were received by Public Works Committee and Council in April 2008 and staff have been directed to initiate a public consultation component to the study.

Jeff, not sure what your trying to prove, I realize Calgary has a superior LRT system to Edmonton. Your numbers certainly agree to that fact, but its far from perfect, and certainly has a lot of flaws as well.

You think they can just build stuff in Calgary without all the nimbyism and indecisivieness like we have here... well. .. check out their WLRT and see this as well... http://bestwestlrt.com/

Thanks Medwards, I wasn't aware of that. What a waste of money.

medwards, buddy - ain't tryin to prove nuthin

just offering support to your thread... the one where you show the history, uhhh... squandered.

just offering comment - what'd I say (twice now)... squandered time - squandered opportunity. Ya see, medwards, comparison offers much to, uhhh..... compare (progress). When you see how well, comparatively speaking, Calgary has embraced it's light rail... has embraced it's transit, say as compared to... oh... say Edmonton. Well...

so medwards... "all the nimbyism and indecisivieness", you say? Apparently not... all - apparently, Calgary has done quite well... comparatively speaking. Wait - is there such a thing as "proof in the puddin"?

The thing that jumps out at me, is how different the city may have grown, if these plans had been implemented.

The most interesting thing that was not anticipated I think, was WEM, and that the West End would grow so much South of WEM (Callingwood) and now West beyond WEM (Lewis Estates, etc.). Interestingly though, growth around Riverbend was anticipated.

I think Edmonton's city council simply had too many members who were indifferent to anything except their own city wards for too many years. It did enough to them get re-elected many times over, but did nothing for Edmonton as a whole.

This city council has it's problems, but I think that this group is actually getting things done.

Better late than never, I suppose.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Don't forget that it's only recently that the province and feds are ponying up for more public transit. The main reason Calgary got theirs during the dry spell is because of the Olympics.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

True. It seems like almost all of Calgary's infrastructure came straight from the Olympics.

Imagine what could've been had we built more of these various plans...

Past and present. I don't think the integration of METS and LRT had been shown previously...

1964 D.L. MacDonald Map

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.