Thread: St. Albert launches clean air campaign

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default St. Albert launches clean air campaign

St. Albert launches clean air campaign

Jamie Hall , edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 3:19 pm June 4 2008

EDMONTON - St. Albert used its Clean Air Day celebrations today to launch an education and awareness campaign, the next step in enforcing an anti-idling bylaw introduced earlier this year.

Over the next few months, the city will spend about $10,000 and use various forms of advertising and promotional material - including bridge banners, posters and postcards - to remind residents and commuters about the new bylaw, focusing on the negative effects of idling.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-44a7cee1b80d

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonInfo View Post
    St. Albert launches clean air campaign

Jamie Hall , edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 3:19 pm June 4 2008

EDMONTON - St. Albert used its Clean Air Day celebrations today to launch an education and awareness campaign, the next step in enforcing an anti-idling bylaw introduced earlier this year.

Over the next few months, the city will spend about $10,000 and use various forms of advertising and promotional material - including bridge banners, posters and postcards - to remind residents and commuters about the new bylaw, focusing on the negative effects of idling.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-44a7cee1b80d
    Kudos to St. Albert, a forward thinking group of councillors. I don't see much idling going on in the summer months, other than for air conditioning on the hottest of days but enforcing it when the temperature is -40 will be a much more difficult and thankless task. However, I assume that the city will deal with the bylaw issue in a mature and sensible manner.

C2E Continued Contributor

I will like to see how they will enforce this bylaw in the dead of winter.

This is your "forward thinking" city council at work St.Albert.

I have a suggestion.

Instead of bringing in a stupid bylaw such as this why not focus more on public transit and expanding bike transportation routes. Designate a car pool lane on St. Albert Trail to reduce car traffic.

Its not rocket science people.

Sounds great.

Now let's move one step further and have blue bags and composting =) you should see my garage!

In any case, the people who say "-40 Im not turning off my engine". When you're going to run into the store for a litre of milk and some eggs, any modern car will remain warm inside... and will so for 5 or so minutes..

^ edit: but I will agree, enforcement will be hard... and the direction should be eliminate the problem, not make a modification to the problem... i.e. public transport.

However, St. Albert alone could not afford an LRT line to the city boundaries, not unless the province kicked in some funds..
    Last edited by Kevin_Foster; 04-06-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    I will like to see how they will enforce this bylaw in the dead of winter.

This is your "forward thinking" city council at work St.Albert.

I have a suggestion.

Instead of bringing in a stupid bylaw such as this why not focus more on public transit and expanding bike transportation routes. Designate a car pool lane on St. Albert Trail to reduce car traffic.

Its not rocket science people.
    Yes Rocket, the city just produced a very lengthy PDF study by I guess a private company on exactly what you talk about. I tried to e-mail the document to myself, but it is huge with all the plans, maps and so on. You will find it in the city website, but it may take a while to track it down and I don't have the link. As you said, one option is as you suggest that the "inside" lane of St. Albert Trail is going to be a bus lane only. They also recommend a new north transit centre with parking for 800 to 1,000 vehicles. IMHO St. Albert city council does very good work and you will be very interested in that study report.

C2E Continued Contributor

I applaud St. Albert city council if they are looking at some of the alternatives suggested but an anti idling law is ridiculous, difficult to enforce and in the grand scheme of things does very little to reduce pollution. Just stop and think how much idling is occuring by stop and go traffic alone? It 's huge. Rush hour or some accident on a major road and their are cars backed up and idling for miles. How do you enforce that? Or can you at all?

I applaud St. Albert city council if they are looking at some of the alternatives suggested but an anti idling law is ridiculous, difficult to enforce and in the grand scheme of things does very little to reduce pollution. Just stop and think how much idling is occuring by stop and go traffic alone? It 's huge. Rush hour or some accident on a major road and their are cars backed up and idling for miles. How do you enforce that? Or can you at all?
    That is when prudent judgment is needed, you are right, they can't give everyone a ticket.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe just maybe this means that there will be no more St Alb. buses idling away for hours in downtown edm while waiting for their shift for rush hour Exodus from Edm back to "st stepford"?
    Will we next get the same no idling policy from the "Country of Strathcona" transit?
    Last edited by Blueline; 05-06-2008 at 12:34 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Maybe just maybe this means that there will be no more St Alb. buses idling away for hours in downtown edm while waiting for their shift for rush hour Exodus from Edm back to "st stepford"?
    Will we next get the same no idling policy from the "Country of Strathcona" transit?
    Perhaps Edmonton Transit should set an example first.

Partially Addicted to C2E

in the grand scheme of things does very little to reduce pollution.
    Data please.

And you enforce it by making examples out of people.