Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 2,001 to 2,096 of 2096

Thread: West Block | Under Construction

Oh really? I'm surprised they would change 'the formula' if it's working well. There are many downsizers in the neighbourhood who want to stay in the area and have plenty of money to spend.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E Continued Contributor

It kind of just looks like SUB at the U of A, with balconies. The black glass looks very uninviting to me.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Drove by the other day, looking very impressive.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

It's an elegant addition to the skyline - it redefines the area
    Almost always open to debate...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    It's an elegant addition to the skyline - it redefines the area
    I agree. Drive by yesterday and quite look the design of Tower 1 and layout of the development.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Just the top 3 floors of glass left to complete on the exterior.

Glass is now completed to the top of the tower portion. Hoarding over the sidewalk has been dismantled, and the sidewalk itself has been ripped out.

3 story office building is topped out with some framing appearing to be started. Assume the crane is coming down very soon.

C2E Posting Power

Crane stuff this morning...

Looks great overall; I'm slightly displease with the color as it is too commercial, white frosted glass for balconies could ease that tremendously.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Yup. It's nice to see some height on this corner but I still maintain it looks like an office building.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Yup. It's nice to see some height on this corner but I still maintain it looks like an office building.
    It is still under construction and we can hope that the project is built to the original vision which is on the website: https://therem.ca/#/west-block-glenora/

When was the last time anyone saw an office building with balconies like that.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

So its an office building with balconies tacked on.

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Epcor.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Epcor.
    EPCOR has balconies, but it is just a strip of them down the middle and definitely doesn't look residential... West Block obviously has balconies for each unit. Also, once the balconies are glassed in, the look will change substantially. Not saying I necessarily love the look of West Block, but it doesn't look commercial to me. I will reserve judgement until it's done.

Does it matter over semantics? I won't cry over this as it is still nice. The black is too monochromatic and dark (suppressive), so a splash of contrast such as frosted glass or whiter frosted would punch it out; silver mullions would have also broken it up. If you have a brighter disposition, it affects differently as that can be applied as all one; but basic structure colors such as black, grey, brown or Navy, they need contrasting elements. It is a designing rule per se.

Not semantics. Going back to my original post where I stated "balconies like that". Being consistent.

Having said that, I agree with you that as it looks now, the black is too heavy. But, once the balconies are glassed in and the units are finished, that should (hopefully) be significantly mitigated.

The phrase was " ... like that..." Had you said, "... in those positions ..." I would have understood your meaning.

The phrase was " ... like that..." Had you said, "... in those positions ..." I would have understood your meaning.
    lol...

I like the darker colour of glass but I do think it’s a little too opaque, thus giving it that office-y look. The renders gave it more of a sheen.

I do wonder if the fact that it stands by itself from most angles makes the darker glass more jarring. Stick it anywhere amongst any group of towers in Edmonton and it would provide some nice variety among mostly lighter towers.

Really nice building, all the same.

It wouldn't have mattered from my opinion. Try this at home... wear black pants, black shirt, black belt- with black metal. Then,change the belt to black leather with silver metal. Which ensemble will be more appealing? Now take all black and add all silver metal belt without the black leather. I bet the latter choice will be your choice. The metal silver belt was what I wear until it was copied vigorously in my circle that I stopped it. It is just an incredible contrast. It actually was made for women or intended for woman, but I didn't care as it is easily unisex.

Sometimes I read posts without noticing who wrote it, but with ctzn-Ed's posts I always know who wrote it without even looking.

Good or bad they say...

You just have a certain style I guess.

I'll take that as a compliment. I actually recognize all regular correspondents' styles on here whether it is KCANTER, IanO, or yourself etc. We've just become acquainted through writing styles, moods, outbursts and so forth over the years which would be around 10 years for me now on here. We know each other without meeting each other physically.

Yes, the glazing is dark, though it's a small tower and any bit of accent will go a long ways to spark it up!

Ctzn_Ed, yep, everyone has their style, some are curious, others are factual and knowledgeable and then there's those that can't say a nice thing and in constant attack mode. Oh, and who was the one that said he owns 100 pairs of shoes and his wife is bi, too much information, lol

It is all good hence I stated from my opinion. I love my shoes and love that side of my wife and that too is good- most men's fantasies. I get that few will like that all black hence we have the Gothic look that a small population like. It is all good from my perspective.

Just for fun of things, it is well over 100 now. I have every shades of the shades lol.

Hey, so any word on the second tower commencing construction?

That and I'd be curious if they'll remain on the same design theme or opt for a different flavor. For me, I've always hated duplicates.

Job No 181668793-034
    Description: To Change the Use from a Professional, Financial and Office Support Service to a Health Service (Dermatology Clinic)
    Plan 1722226 Blk 101 Lot 26
    Applicant: WOLSKI DESIGN GROUP LTD
    Create Date: 1/18/2019 9:29:21 AM

The following businesses are expected to open in West Block this Summer (According to this ad/article in the Edmonton Journal https://edmontonjournal.com/sponsore...n-for-business)

• GEC Architecture (head office)
    • Kepler Academy Early Learning Child Care & Day Care
    • RejuvaDERM (Dermatologist)
    • Sports Clinic (offering physical therapy, sports psychology, and personal training)
    • Psychologist office
    • Financial advisory group

Yawn
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    The following businesses are expected to open in West Block this Summer (According to this ad/article in the Edmonton Journal https://edmontonjournal.com/sponsore...n-for-business)

• Sports Clinic (offering physical therapy, sports psychology, and personal training)
    • Psychologist office
    Excellent information. Thanks for posting.

What about retail? I believe they were talking with Century Hospitality Group about opening something up in one of the CRLs.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Yawn
    If West Block announced:
    - Berkshire Hathaway Office
    - Ferrari Dealership
    - Aga Khan Investment Centre
    - The Vatican Accounting Offices
    - United Nations Development Office
    - Netflix Global Server Farm
    - The Lourve

... maybe you would be impressed. But - just a bunch of professional officers, pffft, amirite?

As GizmoForMayor alluded to, I'd prefer a bit more retail to mix in with the offices and clinics. At least that's what I'd want if I wanted to work at West Block.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

This still leaves nothing worth walking to within a 6-block radius...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

[*]GEC Architecture (head office)
    Makes sense why there's been lease signs in the Manhattan Building then.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

The tenants that were listed are businesses in the 2nd/3rd story office space (mostly office condos). None of them are part of the main floor commercial.

I think it's safe to assume the more "exciting" tenants names will start showing up when they announce main floor tenants.

^ my point exactly. What is listed so far is unlikely to be on the main floor. Retail announcements still to come, I'm sure.

• Psychologist office
    Scooter saying GEC will be or has moved it’s head office to Edmonton from Calgary? Really?

That's what the EJ article claims. I heard through the grapevine that Planet Organic may be one of the anchor tenants, but that seems strange as the Jasper Avenue location is located quite close to West Block.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

• Psychologist office
    Scooter saying GEC will be or has moved it’s head office to Edmonton from Calgary? Really?

Edmonton Journal incorrect. Here is the tweet from GEC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/sta...58767823147008

Job No 309051110-001
    Description: To Change the Use from General Retail Stores to a Professional, Financial and Office Support Services (ATB Financial Services)
    Applicant: LEMAY & TOKER
    Create Date: 3/22/2019 2:45:59 PM

Drove by today - I quite dislike the silver colour channels running every 2-3 feet on the entire rather long podium. What is going on there? Is that the finished design or are those LED lighting or ????

Anyone in the area that can snap a quick one- cell phone accepted here?

Drove by today - I quite dislike the silver colour channels running every 2-3 feet on the entire rather long podium. What is going on there? Is that the finished design or are those LED lighting or ????
    Are you referring to the large windowless east facing wall? If so then yes, this is quite hideous looking

C2E Posting Power

^ LOL, I think hideous looking is a bit extreme. I assume it will be largely visually blocked by the future stages of the development.

Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    ^ LOL, I think hideous looking is a bit extreme. I assume it will be largely visually blocked by the future stages of the development.
    Ok maybe not hideous looking, but it definitely stands out in a bad way.
    But IF the next stage gets going and blocks the view of it, then I guess it makes sense.

Its the entire podium - all sides have the strips ... is rather ... "busy". This is an understatement.

Job No 311126757-001
    Description: To change the use from General Retail Stores to Minor Alcohol Sales and to construct interior alterations (Glenora Fine Wines and Spirits).
    Applicant: PURI, NARINDER
    Create Date: 4/15/2019 10:21:12 AM

Job No 312318553-001
    Description: To install (1) Fascia On-premises Sign and (1) Projecting On-premises Sign (KEPLER ACADEMY)
    Applicant: CITY IMAGE SIGNS
    Create Date: 4/30/2019 3:34:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Grandonite View Post
    Are you referring to the large windowless east facing wall? If so then yes, this is quite hideous looking
    It's a blank wall because it is fire rated and that the future phase to the east will abut this wall. It will be an extension of the podium of the future tower.

Update from 2019.05.15. The proverbial little black dress ...

West Block (constr. 2019.05.15)a small by Spi11, on Flickr
    ^ From southwest.

West Block (constr. 2019.05.15)b small by Spi11, on Flickr
    ^ From northwest.

Some pops of colour, even subdued colour, might be nice on the podium. Maybe trees will make it a little inviting. The colour is a little uninviting.
    But still a top quality project and 12 parsecs better than what was originally proposed (SW reference for the R2-D2 buildings we were going to get)

I will have to go and see it in person me thinks.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Some pops of colour, even subdued colour, might be nice on the podium. Maybe trees will make it a little inviting. The colour is a little uninviting.
    But still a top quality project and 12 parsecs better than what was originally proposed (SW reference for the R2-D2 buildings we were going to get)
    If they work with their retail tenants to build cohesive and colorful signage, it'll really take away the Darth Vader look it currently has going on (following the SW reference trend) without sacrificing the sleek black style.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

I think the tower looks very handsome, however the podium could have done with less tinted glass, given the CLT construction would have been cool to see.
    www.decl.org

The overcast day doesn't help, but I'm not loving this. Really would like to, but it's too heavy and overly imposing, as it currently stands. Will reserve final opinion until after completion and landscaping, but it's more than a little bit monolithic right now.

Bright sunshine won't help. It looks like a depressing place to live, sterile, lifeless. Who knew you could build a cave above ground - but here it is.

Bright sunshine won't help. It looks like a depressing place to live, sterile, lifeless. Who knew you could build a cave above ground - but here it is.
    That's overstating it.

That's overstating it.
    And over-bolding it.

I think it looks cool.
    They went all in on the black aesthetic, pretty bold.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I think it looks cool.
    They went all in on the black aesthetic, pretty bold.
    SDM ... note the use of the word bold .... seriously though it is a bold design. Yes I went overboard. I should have just said Darth Vader would live there ... its Mordor looking.

I think they did a fantastic job when you factor in the unfinished crap left over by the previous developer.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

There were minor augmentation to the curvature front, but it was hardly difficult ... Per form built and material, they are first class ; but this built is too official for residence. A quick fix would be to add color to unified curtains. Peach, red, yellow, lime...? Perhaps pick three colors and implied in patterns- something to that degree?

C2E SME

Or this could just have an upper class feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Or this could just have an upper class feel to it.

East commercial building being demolished.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

There were minor augmentation to the curvature front, but it was hardly difficult ... Per form built and material, they are first class ; but this built is too official for residence. A quick fix would be to add color to unified curtains. Peach, red, yellow, lime...? Perhaps pick three colors and implied in patterns- something to that degree?
    Whatever the case, it's easy to add some color later on if that is the problem. Otherwise it's a fantastic looking development imo.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Far from ugly for sure with easily adaptable solution if required. I suspect color blinds might be their choice anyway...

Demo that's underway.

As I suspected and hoped. Looks much nicer on a bright, sunny day. The silver mullions on the podium pop a lot more, adding much needed contrast. If the balcony glass is clear, there should be a sense of depth to give it sufficient interest... I hope... Plus, finishes and furnishings in the interior will help a lot.
    Last edited by lat; 20-05-2019 at 03:14 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Still lots of work/detail left on the exterior. to go I am going to hold off on judgement until it's closer to being complete.

^ It's a black tower...some white railings won't change it. The black overwhelms any amount of detail

I drove by it today. If it wasn't for the balconies, it would look like an office tower. As much as I am of black towers (I like the TD tower and the MNP tower) I don't think this looks amazing, but it doesn't look bad either.
    I agree some colour on the spandrel would make this pop. It's basically a black board right now.

I just needed some else to say it...

You guys are judging a construction site pretty harshly. First off, activation at street level and completion of the other phases of this project will completely change the feel of this building and community. And not just about a black tower. It’s the activity around it.

Also, this is a remediation project. Look at what the developer came on site to and look at what we’ve got. Maybe it’s a matter of tastes, but I love the dark glass. It’s different to any other residential development Edmonton has. However I’d be considered about how much light passes through it. The units may have a tinted feel.

Nobody is judging anything. We concluded it is not ugly but made a wrong choice for color ( too much monochromatic scheme on a super heavy color) which resulted in an office look rather than residential which I stated this long ago...'Encore' would have recieved the same critique had they gone any darker than current grey ...

What's bad about it looking office-y?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

If you like that, there is nothing wrong. For me it is too "suppressive" dark.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    What's bad about it looking office-y?
    I prefer it. It’s something new and looks sharp and cool to me. It also won’t look so office like when finished either.

I like it a lot, but the black is definitely quite stark considering it’s in the middle of a mature neighbourhood with only one other high rise nearby.

If it was “D”owntown, I think we’d appreciate the variety of it next to all the precast, stucco or blue glass towers.

huge improvement over the R2D2 towers.

Not necessarily... it was primarily the podium that would have been the failure...

^^ This is the first time that I have seen that version of the R2D2 renderings, none of the previous renderings showed an LRT station.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    ^^ This is the first time that I have seen that version of the R2D2 renderings, none of the previous renderings showed an LRT station.
    that render was what it was gonna be its like near page 5 - 11 if i remember right

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I feel on a side note that it kind of exposes the danger of centering the alignment of the LRT through the middle of a two way boulevard.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    huge improvement over the R2D2 towers.
    For comparison, from https://westblockglenora.com/galleries/

C2E Posting Power

Progress on the plaza now that we have strung together a few days with less rain. Surface parking lot is complete as a placeholder until the LRT stop arrives.

I believe first residents in the tower are moving in this month.

Thanks for the photo update, the project is looking really very nice !!

Very slick. Thank you for posting.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Looking very nice.

July 31, 2019
    160, 14101 - WEST BLOCK DRIVE NW

To construct interior alterations to a commercial building (first tenant fitup) - ATB Financial Services.

C2E Posting Power

It wouldn't surprise me to see the rental tower get the green light soon. With so much amenity space completed with the first tower, they could be first to market on renters drawn to TOD development, where there is a lot of uncertainty on timing of other projects. That extra concentration of residents would surely help the commercial leasing aspect of the project.

Is it just me or are those parking spots angled the wrong way? the entrance to the parking is off the west bound lanes...

C2E SME

You enter on the West side, but the traffic flow for the angled parking runs West to East, so you'd exit on to SPR on the East side of the property. Makes sense to me, as if traffic exited on the West side it would not be able to get across 4 lanes of traffic to turn left, and would frequently be blocked by traffic stopped at the lights.

Ah I see what you mean. Yes I guess that would work. And it's only temporary anyways since the LRT will be going there soon.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021