Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 1079

Thread: The Quest | Residential | 22 stories | Completed

  1. #1
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default The Quest | Residential | 22 stories | Completed

    This is looking promising.....


    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  2. #2

    Default

    The building looks great but the image dosn't show up on the forum. I had to copy and paste the address into a new browser window.

    * update *
    I see it on the forum now.

  3. #3
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default

    I love the X shape. Red curtain glass will be cool.

  4. #4
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default


  5. #5
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Nice! Now we're talking! Keep 'em coming.
    I'm in the market for a new condo, as close to the core as possible. To those who are in the know, how long should I wait before deciding on one? Already registered for IconII, Founder's Ridge, and Corners, any more on the way?

  6. #6
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Buy sooner than later. The longer the wait, the more you pay.

    Ian, who is the developper?

  7. #7
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    226

    Default

    I definitely like this.

  8. #8
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Looks good. Build it. 2 for 2

    Next project please

  9. #9
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chump
    Looks good. Build it. 2 for 2

    Next project please
    January 24 was good day, wasn't it.

  10. #10
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Summerside
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    My favourite so far...

  11. #11
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Does anyone have any more info on the Q?

    Completion Date?
    Price List?
    Contact Number?

    thanks

  12. #12
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    Nice! It'll help hide the sore thumb that is legacy. I count 22 floors, so It's taller, too.

  13. #13
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Big E
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    This looks very nice! It looks about 22 stories, is that right?

    But something's kind of strange, though. I've checked out the website of Brinsmead Ziola Kennedy Architecture, the firm that's apparently responsible for this condo project (that's what it said in SSP) and there isn't any info on the Q. Same goes for the Emporis.com website as well.

  14. #14
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    developer is the parliament guys i believe.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  15. #15

    Default

    Not sure of its permit status but someone mentioned ta while back that it passed the EDC on a tight 3-2 vote. Can't remember what the controversial aspects were - something about 104ave side. East elevation looks nice, lower northern portion looks pretty bland (IanO - what's the one-sided term you have) but the two today are certainly a step up on the normal proposals. Street interaction looks good.

  16. #16

    Default

    2007 is setting a new standard in Edmonton. Awesome news.
    Shameless Urbanophile

  17. #17
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    developer is the parliament guys i believe.
    Yes, you can register for Q at the theParliament.ca website.

  18. #18
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,624

    Default

    My only gripe is the windowless center section on the north elevation...however if that is masonry or even painted concrete I think it will look okay.
    I wish it was glazing with paneling or glass though, but its obviously the hallway ends.

  19. #19
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mick
    Not sure of its permit status but someone mentioned ta while back that it passed the EDC on a tight 3-2 vote. Can't remember what the controversial aspects were - something about 104ave side. East elevation looks nice, lower northern portion looks pretty bland (IanO - what's the one-sided term you have) but the two today are certainly a step up on the normal proposals. Street interaction looks good.
    "north wall"
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  20. #20
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,214
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hmmm, downtown north is finally arriving....20 years later....

    Looks good.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

  21. #21

    Default

    Does anyone else see similarities between this and the Batman tower in Nashville? (The Bell South Tower that is...) Perhaps it's just the double antenna.

    Shameless Urbanophile

  22. #22
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,624

    Default

    Definitely some similarities, same proportions, dual antennas, same colors.

  23. #23
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    32,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    developer is the parliament guys i believe.
    Someone please tell me that the new project will have better street interaction than The Parliament?

  24. #24

    Default

    Street interaction looks good in the renderings. Lower north wall meh, east wall yeh.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    My only gripe is the windowless center section on the north elevation...however if that is masonry or even painted concrete I think it will look okay.
    I wish it was glazing with paneling or glass though, but its obviously the hallway ends.
    That would only be hallway ends if you had a crap architect or developer that doesn't know Development 101.

    Any good floorplan would not waste exterior walls with hallway ends or staircases. The outer parts of the floorplate are the most valuable. You'd want to have everything on the floorplate perimeters as part of the saleable area.

  26. #26
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    developer is the parliament guys i believe.
    Someone please tell me that the new project will have better street interaction than The Parliament?
    Yes. The rendering shows CRUs on the ground floor. I went to the front counter of P&DD DCB on 5th floor of Allstream Tower and asked to see the construction plans. They confirmed that at the time they were in the public domain and brought them out for me and a friend to look at (no pictures allowed). There will be at least 2 stores in the podium and 2 "townhouses". Although EDC required a few changes, I agree that the north face of the building, and the podium could be juiced up a bit. 5 levels of UG parking! Finally.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citysource
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    developer is the parliament guys i believe.
    Someone please tell me that the new project will have better street interaction than The Parliament?
    Yes. The rendering shows CRUs on the ground floor. I went to the front counter of P&DD DCB on 5th floor of Allstream Tower and asked to see the construction plans. They confirmed that at the time they were in the public domain and brought them out for me and a friend to look at (no pictures allowed). There will be at least 2 stores in the podium and 2 "townhouses". Although EDC required a few changes, I agree that the north face of the building, and the podium could be juiced up a bit. 5 levels of UG parking! Finally.
    Glad to hear about the u/g parking.

    What boggles my mind is that everyone agrees that the north wall is senseless and yet it somehow got through the cracks, even past the EDC? Do they sell corrective eyewear in Edmonton?

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    What boggles my mind is that everyone agrees that the north wall is senseless and yet it somehow got through the cracks, even past the EDC? Do they sell corrective eyewear in Edmonton?
    Not everyone agrees that it's senseless. I think it's rational. I'd be PO'd in Vancouver to lose even one iota of precious sunlight, but here in Edmonton, I'd be PO'd watching all the heat leaking out, if it was an all glass wall facing north. Give your heads a shake folks. What is sane in Calgary or Vancouver isn't sane in Edmonton or Winnipeg.

  29. #29
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I'm sorry, but I can't say I like it. I feel it's massing is too large. The two spires seem like antennas on the head of a Transformers robot. It's a dated design.

  30. #30
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Any predictions on pricing?

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    What boggles my mind is that everyone agrees that the north wall is senseless and yet it somehow got through the cracks, even past the EDC? Do they sell corrective eyewear in Edmonton?
    Not everyone agrees that it's senseless. I think it's rational. I'd be PO'd in Vancouver to lose even one iota of precious sunlight, but here in Edmonton, I'd be PO'd watching all the heat leaking out, if it was an all glass wall facing north. Give your heads a shake folks. What is sane in Calgary or Vancouver isn't sane in Edmonton or Winnipeg.
    If an office building can have 360 degree unobstructed glazing, then why shouldn't a res building?

    And further against your observation, if I have a north-facing apartment that gets no direct sunlight, I'm going to want every possible candle-foot of indirect lighting into my suite, and a wall isn't going to get me there.

  32. #32
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    123

    Default

    ^Im 100% with you murman.

    And im sure I dont agree with m0nkeyman. How can you say something is "right" for Calgary, but god forbid Edmonton try it. If you were talking about bamboo huts, yeah thats insane, but I dont see why Arriva, for example, would be "insane" in Edmonton or Winnipeg.

  33. #33
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    What boggles my mind is that everyone agrees that the north wall is senseless and yet it somehow got through the cracks, even past the EDC? Do they sell corrective eyewear in Edmonton?
    Not everyone agrees that it's senseless. I think it's rational. I'd be PO'd in Vancouver to lose even one iota of precious sunlight, but here in Edmonton, I'd be PO'd watching all the heat leaking out, if it was an all glass wall facing north. Give your heads a shake folks. What is sane in Calgary or Vancouver isn't sane in Edmonton or Winnipeg.
    If an office building can have 360 degree unobstructed glazing, then why shouldn't a res building?

    And further against your observation, if I have a north-facing apartment that gets no direct sunlight, I'm going to want every possible candle-foot of indirect lighting into my suite, and a wall isn't going to get me there.
    The South elevation is identical to the North elevation.

  34. #34

    Default

    Bd - was it you that knew the details of the tight EDC vote on this project?

  35. #35
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    754

    Default

    is there a site for this yet?

  36. #36
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru
    is there a site for this yet?

    guys, read up a bit.

    105st 104ave south west corner


    as for pricing, id expect to see 350-430sqft.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru
    is there a site for this yet?
    guys, read up a bit.
    105st 104ave south west corner
    I think he meant website.

  38. #38
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru
    is there a site for this yet?
    guys, read up a bit.
    105st 104ave south west corner
    I think he meant website.
    www.105st104ave.com

    ?
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  39. #39
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Big E
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru
    is there a site for this yet?
    guys, read up a bit.
    105st 104ave south west corner
    I think he meant website.
    www.105st104ave.com

    ?
    IanO, you're gonna have to do better than that. That's not even a valid site!

  40. #40
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru
    is there a site for this yet?
    guys, read up a bit.
    105st 104ave south west corner
    I think he meant website.
    www.105st104ave.com

    ?
    IanO, you're gonna have to do better than that. That's not even a valid site!
    after breakfast i will
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  41. #41
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru
    is there a site for this yet?

    guys, read up a bit.

    105st 104ave south west corner


    as for pricing, id expect to see 350-430sqft.
    i guess i should've been more clear, i did mean website.

  42. #42

    Default

    The building looks like something I would find in Miami. I like it.

    Monkeyman, Calgary is in the same boat that Edmonton is in climate wise.

  43. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    The building looks like something I would find in Miami. I like it.

    Monkeyman, Calgary is in the same boat that Edmonton is in climate wise.
    Similar but not identical. The differences between Edmonton and Vancouver are obvious. The differences between Edmonton and Calgary are much, much smaller, but still exist. An extra half hour of sun in the summer, the lack of Chinooks. There are differences, which was my point.

    We need to start coming up with good architecture that is designed here, for here, not looking at Vancouver designs and wishing they were built here... and the same goes for Calgary, although not as much.

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    The building looks like something I would find in Miami. I like it.

    Monkeyman, Calgary is in the same boat that Edmonton is in climate wise.
    Similar but not identical. The differences between Edmonton and Vancouver are obvious. The differences between Edmonton and Calgary are much, much smaller, but still exist. An extra half hour of sun in the summer, the lack of Chinooks. There are differences, which was my point.

    We need to start coming up with good architecture that is designed here, for here, not looking at Vancouver designs and wishing they were built here... and the same goes for Calgary, although not as much.
    Sorry, M... you're not going to win your argument that Calgary designs are unworkable in Edmonton. That's just patently false.

  45. #45
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    The building looks like something I would find in Miami. I like it.

    Monkeyman, Calgary is in the same boat that Edmonton is in climate wise.
    Similar but not identical. The differences between Edmonton and Vancouver are obvious. The differences between Edmonton and Calgary are much, much smaller, but still exist. An extra half hour of sun in the summer, the lack of Chinooks. There are differences, which was my point.

    We need to start coming up with good architecture that is designed here, for here, not looking at Vancouver designs and wishing they were built here... and the same goes for Calgary, although not as much.
    Sorry, M... you're not going to win your argument that Calgary designs are unworkable in Edmonton. That's just patently false.

    bingo....anything in edm,cal, mtl,otta,tor would work...
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  46. #46

    Default

    8/10

    Good massing, but like others, I don't like the side wall.

  47. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    Sorry, M... you're not going to win your argument that Calgary designs are unworkable in Edmonton. That's just patently false.
    If that was my argument, I'd expect to lose it. All I'm saying is that good to great architecture takes into account the site that it is on, including it's climate. And if you think Calgary and Edmonton have the same climate, you probably think that Victoria and Vancouver have the same climate.

  48. #48
    grish
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    Sorry, M... you're not going to win your argument that Calgary designs are unworkable in Edmonton. That's just patently false.
    If that was my argument, I'd expect to lose it. All I'm saying is that good to great architecture takes into account the site that it is on, including it's climate. And if you think Calgary and Edmonton have the same climate, you probably think that Victoria and Vancouver have the same climate.
    just have a look at the historical records by temp, precipitation in all 4 seasons of edmonton and calgay and try to explain what sort of construction or design modification you would need to implement to account for a 2 degree temp difference and a 2 or 3 mm precip difference between the two cities.

    edmonton is by 1 or 2 degrees warmer april through october and 2-3 degrees cooler nov through march.

  49. #49
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oliver
    Posts
    3,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    bingo....anything in edm,cal, mtl,otta,tor would work...
    Based on climate - or at least based on heating degree days - Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon are all comparable within about 5%.

    Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa are significantly different though, requiring about 20~30% less heating in a typical year than we do.

    And then you get to Vancouver and Victoria needing about half the heating that we do.

    It's the same thing for peak winter temperatures.

    In Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon they range from -27 to -32.

    In Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa from -17 to -22.

    And in Vancouver and Victoria from -3 to -5.

    So I will agree that anything that can work in Calgary should be able to work here. Extending that to Toronoto or Ottawa is stretching it though. And as for Vancouver and Victoria, there are really good reasons why our buildings don't look like their buildings.

  50. #50

    Default

    but lots of new condos going up in Calgary do, so that's beside the point.
    Shameless Urbanophile

  51. #51

  52. #52
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    32

    Default

    wow that looks really good...so much better than that reno everyones been so angry about lol

  53. #53
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    682

    Default

    edit

  54. #54
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,624

    Default

    This is good, that corner is going to really POP!
    I expect the warehouse district to really start taking off in the next year or two.
    Norquest on 107th should hit the ground this spring and with this, parking lots are finally starting to disappear and not be replaced with crap (LEGACY COUGH COUGH).

  55. #55
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Q looks much better than the elevation led me to believe but I hope that's not reflective glass on the podium.

  56. #56
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Q is looking really really good......i love the street level to be honest. That patio would be wicked in summer.....Say a moxies:>

    Love the retail on the northside.

    Two townhouses.....FINALLY.

    This is one of the most exciting projects in the city IMO as it is on one of the most important intersections, ties in 104ave into the core, and injects much needed life into an area that is quiet.

    GO Q GO.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  57. #57
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default










    [/img]
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  58. #58
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Urbanism defines Q on 105th Street, which strives to respect the pattern if development in the warehouse district of Downtown Edmonton.

    The project respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design and materials such as, masonry, metal panels, glass and stucco that are compatible with the neighborhood. The textured masonry and curtain wall glass of those elements from 5th Avenue Lofts have all been reinterpreted in this design.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  59. #59
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.

  60. #60
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Almost forgot...


  61. #61
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travis
    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.
    How about:

    moxies

    Earl's downtown

    Milestones

    KEG

    Starbucks in one of the north facing units

    an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  62. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by travis
    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.
    How about:

    moxies

    Earl's downtown

    Milestones

    KEG

    Starbucks in one of the north facing units

    an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    I'm guessing a pizza place.

  63. #63
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by travis
    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.
    How about:

    moxies

    Earl's downtown

    Milestones

    KEG

    Starbucks in one of the north facing units

    an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    I'm guessing a pizza place.

    relocate BP's there with the old one finally becoming "Q^2"....along with Q3 and Q4
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  64. #64
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by travis
    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.
    How about:

    moxies

    Earl's downtown

    Milestones

    KEG

    Starbucks in one of the north facing units

    an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    I'm guessing a pizza place.
    I don't think it will be anything like Earls or Moxies. That patio looks pretty small. I'm counting only eight tables. This is just a rendering though...

  65. #65
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by travis
    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.
    How about:

    moxies

    Earl's downtown

    Milestones

    KEG

    Starbucks in one of the north facing units

    an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    I'm guessing a pizza place.

    relocate BP's there with the old one finally becoming "Q^2"....along with Q3 and Q4
    No smashing the current BPs building downtown plz...mmm delicious massive wood beams, drool.

  66. #66
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,214
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    relocate BP's there with the old one finally becoming "Q^2"....along with Q3 and Q4
    Great, and we can have the neighboring building called SOx...

    With it's twin EBITDA....
    President and CEO - Airshow.

  67. #67

    Default

    The Q looks very nice. I wonder how the people who live in the Legacy will feel about their place when this is built.

  68. #68
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    682

    Default

    ^Probably a loy better than the people in Q will feel about Legacy

  69. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Urbanism defines Q on 105th Street, which strives to respect the pattern if development in the warehouse district of Downtown Edmonton.

    The project respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design and materials such as, masonry, metal panels, glass and stucco that are compatible with the neighborhood. The textured masonry and curtain wall glass of those elements from 5th Avenue Lofts have all been reinterpreted in this design.
    "respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design..."



    Typical architectural mumbo-jumbo... Aside from the massing of the podium, this project has no visual representation of its historical neighbours.

    I like most of the design, but don't tell me it fits in with its neighbours. I can show you well over a dozen projects in Yaletown that actually do what these architects claim.

  70. #70
    grish
    Guest

    Default

    i like the building design (the Q). Can someone clarify this for me? What corner of the 105 street is this going on?

  71. #71
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    468

    Default

    maybe i'm picky, but I feel the concept is there, but the design lacks. I feel the overal scale and massing is too large. The vertical elements with the spires do not fit into the context of the building.

    The top 1/3 of the building with its' large vertical elements of glass and solid panels detract from the overall form of the building. To continue the lower patios vertical would better suit the building. The top of the building seems like it should continue higher, yet stops.

    Like I said, the context of the development is great for the area. I feel the tower could use work.

  72. #72
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    ^please keep this to the "Q".....and continue the TNP et al stuff here:

    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...?p=23140#23140
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  73. #73
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    The project respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design and materials such as, masonry, metal panels, glass and stucco that are compatible with the neighborhood. The textured masonry and curtain wall glass of those elements from 5th Avenue Lofts have all been reinterpreted in this design.
    Gee, I thought it was the 5th STREET Lofts.

    I am very interested in this project. Deposits?

    s.

  74. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by travis
    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.
    How about:

    moxies

    Earl's downtown

    Milestones

    KEG

    Starbucks in one of the north facing units

    an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    HOLY CRAP...could we please NOT have a chain restaurant!?! I never had good food at any one of those listed!

    But a Starbucks I could do with :P. I bet it will be a Starbucks...if you place where they already are on the map and where they COULD be...yup starbucks.

  75. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Urbanism defines Q on 105th Street, which strives to respect the pattern if development in the warehouse district of Downtown Edmonton.

    The project respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design and materials such as, masonry, metal panels, glass and stucco that are compatible with the neighborhood. The textured masonry and curtain wall glass of those elements from 5th Avenue Lofts have all been reinterpreted in this design.
    "respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design..."



    Typical architectural mumbo-jumbo... Aside from the massing of the podium, this project has no visual representation of its historical neighbours.

    I like most of the design, but don't tell me it fits in with its neighbours. I can show you well over a dozen projects in Yaletown that actually do what these architects claim.
    Yes, I agree. It doesn't really fit into the neighbourhood. And it really doesn't have any architectural significance. Stucco is NOT a building material. And the glass better not be reflective like that on the main floor retail.

    I don't mind the design...just nothing that interesting or well integrated into the existing area or what it could be.

  76. #76
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by travis
    I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.
    How about:

    moxies

    Earl's downtown

    Milestones

    KEG

    Starbucks in one of the north facing units

    an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    HOLY CRAP...could we please NOT have a chain restaurant!?! I never had good food at any one of those listed!

    But a Starbucks I could do with :P. I bet it will be a Starbucks...if you place where they already are on the map and where they COULD be...yup starbucks.

    Downtown Edmonton needs 3-4 more big chain restaus to draw people.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  77. #77
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    [/quote] Gee, I thought it was the 5th STREET Lofts. I am very interested in this project. Deposits? s.[/quote]

    I also like it - but agree with comments about it not really tying into the warehouse district as well as it could. None the less it is some of the best design we have seen in a long time. So who is the developer? and when can we see them taking deposits?

  78. #78
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Gee, I thought it was the 5th STREET Lofts. I am very interested in this project. Deposits? s.[/quote]

    I also like it - but agree with comments about it not really tying into the warehouse district as well as it could. None the less it is some of the best design we have seen in a long time. So who is the developer? and when can we see them taking deposits?[/quote]

    developers are the parliament guys.

    www.theparliament.ca i think
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  79. #79
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    I think the Development Permit for "the Q" was in today's Edmonton Journal (page A7) - "10364 - 105 St NW. To construct an apartment house (102 dwellings)/general retail building with underground parkade (relaxed: private outdoor amenity area)."

    Sounds like the right location.
    Almost always open to debate...

  80. #80
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    ^tis...


    walking around that area this past weekend....that tower will DO ABSOLUTE WONDERS for the look, feel, and vibrancy of that area.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  81. #81
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    ^tis...


    walking around that area this past weekend....that tower will DO ABSOLUTE WONDERS for the look, feel, and vibrancy of that area.
    That it will...most definitely. Very attractive building.
    Almost always open to debate...

  82. #82
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Does anyone know who the developer is? I know that BZK architects did the design, but not sure who the developer is.
    Almost always open to debate...

  83. #83
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink
    Does anyone know who the developer is? I know that BZK architects did the design, but not sure who the developer is.

    the guys who did the parliament...which is a partnerhip including:

    -voco boys
    -dennis obyrne
    -a few others i think
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  84. #84
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    can someone photoshop that building into the lot from a distance? looking east from 109st and 104ave or something?
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  85. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    can someone photoshop that building into the lot from a distance? looking east from 109st and 104ave or something?
    give me a picture

  86. #86
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    32,430

    Default

    If this is going in the SW corner of 104 Ave and 105 St, what happens with that Healy Ford car dealership next to it?

  87. #87
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    /\ It'll remain. In fact, the Healy folks own alot of land in around the downtown. **cough** "BP lands" **cough**

  88. #88
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    32,430

    Default

    Really? Is Healy is the reason why the BP area is still mostly dusty parking lot? Where's my pitchfork?

  89. #89
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Really? Is Healy is the reason why the BP area is still mostly dusty parking lot? Where's my pitchfork?
    im curious to know the environmental on those lands...
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  90. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Really? Is Healy is the reason why the BP area is still mostly dusty parking lot? Where's my pitchfork?
    im curious to know the environmental on those lands...
    Shouldn't be so onerous so as to negate redevelopment. There are development companies that specialize in brownfields, and I would guess these lands would at worst, be milk chocolate brown.

  91. #91
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Really? Is Healy is the reason why the BP area is still mostly dusty parking lot? Where's my pitchfork?
    im curious to know the environmental on those lands...
    Shouldn't be so onerous so as to negate redevelopment. There are development companies that specialize in brownfields, and I would guess these lands would at worst, be milk chocolate brown.
    In most cities perhaps. But here we accept a ten year remedation on Whyte Ave....

  92. #92
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    as CD would say...."enter the DC3"
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  93. #93
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    Permit: 60854136-003
    To add one unit to an Apartment House (now 103 Dwellings) / General Retail (502sq.m. main floor retail space) building with underground parkade.
    Location: 10382 - 105 STREET NW
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lot 165
    10382 - 105 STREET NW
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 163-164 - DOWNTOWN
    Applicant: BRINSMEAD ZIOLA KENNEDY ARCHITECTURE
    Application Date: 7/16/2007
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  94. #94
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    166

    Default Corner 104 ave 105 st

    Hi,

    I just noticed what looks like construction materials on the corner of 104ave and 105st in the empty lot. It looks like I-beams but I am not sure. Is this the Q going up?

    s.

  95. #95
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,834

    Default

    apparently...shoring beams
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  96. #96
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Website with floor plans, pre-registration, etc. for the Q:

    http://www.qcondos.com/

  97. #97
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    The more I look at the Q, the more I really like it. Lots of glass and big windows and balconies. The townhouse floorplans are really nice. I'm really happy to see construction starting.

  98. #98
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    311

    Default

    if there is townhomes... how many retail spots will there be?


    as well

    Timeline
    Spring 2006
    Q condos appoint Brinsmead Ziola Kennedy Architects to complete architectural design of building.
    Protostatix Engineering appointed to develop structural design of building.
    Implicit engineering engaged to complete mechanical and electrical engineering.

    April 2007
    Major Development permit received from City of Edmonton

    Summer 2007
    Complete set of finished architectural drawings accomplished

    Spring 2008
    Expected construction commencement date

    Spring 2008
    Anticipated release of pre-sales: First Phase


    From The Q site

  99. #99
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    967

    Default

    It's a bit over-the-top in my opinion...

    Here's some additional info for those interested...(why and how could you add one more dwelling unit...must be someone with a lot of money to create that Change Order!)...

    Major Development Permit
    Job No 60854136-003: To add one unit to an Apartment House (now 103 Dwellings) / General Retail (502sq.m. main floor retail space) building with underground parkade.
    10382 - 105 STREET NW
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lot 165
    10382 - 105 STREET NW
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 163-164
    BRINSMEAD ZIOLA KENNEDY ARCHITECTURE

    (Red Boundary including the Yellow parcel shown below)...

    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

  100. #100
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton -> -> Beautiful BC
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    ^It's the addition of a retail bay on the main level, all they have to do is shuffle some services around and move the dividing walls. Easy... unless you leave it 'till the building is half done!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •