Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quest | Residential | 22 stories | Completed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default The Quest | Residential | 22 stories | Completed

This is looking promising.....

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The building looks great but the image dosn't show up on the forum. I had to copy and paste the address into a new browser window.

* update *
    I see it on the forum now.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I love the X shape. Red curtain glass will be cool.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Nice! Now we're talking! Keep 'em coming.
    I'm in the market for a new condo, as close to the core as possible. To those who are in the know, how long should I wait before deciding on one? Already registered for IconII, Founder's Ridge, and Corners, any more on the way?

Buy sooner than later. The longer the wait, the more you pay.

Ian, who is the developper?

I definitely like this.

C2E Super Addict

Looks good. Build it. 2 for 2

Next project please

Quote Originally Posted by Chump
    Looks good. Build it. 2 for 2

Next project please
    January 24 was good day, wasn't it.

C2E Continued Contributor

My favourite so far...

First One is Always Free

Does anyone have any more info on the Q?

Completion Date?
    Price List?
    Contact Number?

thanks

highlander

Nice! It'll help hide the sore thumb that is legacy. I count 22 floors, so It's taller, too.

This looks very nice! It looks about 22 stories, is that right?

But something's kind of strange, though. I've checked out the website of Brinsmead Ziola Kennedy Architecture, the firm that's apparently responsible for this condo project (that's what it said in SSP) and there isn't any info on the Q. Same goes for the Emporis.com website as well.

developer is the parliament guys i believe.
    www.decl.org

Not sure of its permit status but someone mentioned ta while back that it passed the EDC on a tight 3-2 vote. Can't remember what the controversial aspects were - something about 104ave side. East elevation looks nice, lower northern portion looks pretty bland (IanO - what's the one-sided term you have) but the two today are certainly a step up on the normal proposals. Street interaction looks good.

2007 is setting a new standard in Edmonton. Awesome news.
    Shameless Urbanophile

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Yes, you can register for Q at the theParliament.ca website.

My only gripe is the windowless center section on the north elevation...however if that is masonry or even painted concrete I think it will look okay.
    I wish it was glazing with paneling or glass though, but its obviously the hallway ends.

Quote Originally Posted by mick
    Not sure of its permit status but someone mentioned ta while back that it passed the EDC on a tight 3-2 vote. Can't remember what the controversial aspects were - something about 104ave side. East elevation looks nice, lower northern portion looks pretty bland (IanO - what's the one-sided term you have) but the two today are certainly a step up on the normal proposals. Street interaction looks good.
    "north wall"
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, downtown north is finally arriving....20 years later....

Looks good.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Does anyone else see similarities between this and the Batman tower in Nashville? (The Bell South Tower that is...) Perhaps it's just the double antenna.

Shameless Urbanophile

Definitely some similarities, same proportions, dual antennas, same colors.

Someone please tell me that the new project will have better street interaction than The Parliament?

Street interaction looks good in the renderings. Lower north wall meh, east wall yeh.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    My only gripe is the windowless center section on the north elevation...however if that is masonry or even painted concrete I think it will look okay.
    I wish it was glazing with paneling or glass though, but its obviously the hallway ends.
    That would only be hallway ends if you had a crap architect or developer that doesn't know Development 101.

Any good floorplan would not waste exterior walls with hallway ends or staircases. The outer parts of the floorplate are the most valuable. You'd want to have everything on the floorplate perimeters as part of the saleable area.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Someone please tell me that the new project will have better street interaction than The Parliament?
    Yes. The rendering shows CRUs on the ground floor. I went to the front counter of P&DD DCB on 5th floor of Allstream Tower and asked to see the construction plans. They confirmed that at the time they were in the public domain and brought them out for me and a friend to look at (no pictures allowed). There will be at least 2 stores in the podium and 2 "townhouses". Although EDC required a few changes, I agree that the north face of the building, and the podium could be juiced up a bit. 5 levels of UG parking! Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Citysource
    Yes. The rendering shows CRUs on the ground floor. I went to the front counter of P&DD DCB on 5th floor of Allstream Tower and asked to see the construction plans. They confirmed that at the time they were in the public domain and brought them out for me and a friend to look at (no pictures allowed). There will be at least 2 stores in the podium and 2 "townhouses". Although EDC required a few changes, I agree that the north face of the building, and the podium could be juiced up a bit. 5 levels of UG parking! Finally.
    Glad to hear about the u/g parking.

What boggles my mind is that everyone agrees that the north wall is senseless and yet it somehow got through the cracks, even past the EDC? Do they sell corrective eyewear in Edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by murman
    What boggles my mind is that everyone agrees that the north wall is senseless and yet it somehow got through the cracks, even past the EDC? Do they sell corrective eyewear in Edmonton?
    Not everyone agrees that it's senseless. I think it's rational. I'd be PO'd in Vancouver to lose even one iota of precious sunlight, but here in Edmonton, I'd be PO'd watching all the heat leaking out, if it was an all glass wall facing north. Give your heads a shake folks. What is sane in Calgary or Vancouver isn't sane in Edmonton or Winnipeg.

I'm sorry, but I can't say I like it. I feel it's massing is too large. The two spires seem like antennas on the head of a Transformers robot. It's a dated design.

First One is Always Free

Any predictions on pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Not everyone agrees that it's senseless. I think it's rational. I'd be PO'd in Vancouver to lose even one iota of precious sunlight, but here in Edmonton, I'd be PO'd watching all the heat leaking out, if it was an all glass wall facing north. Give your heads a shake folks. What is sane in Calgary or Vancouver isn't sane in Edmonton or Winnipeg.
    If an office building can have 360 degree unobstructed glazing, then why shouldn't a res building?

And further against your observation, if I have a north-facing apartment that gets no direct sunlight, I'm going to want every possible candle-foot of indirect lighting into my suite, and a wall isn't going to get me there.

^Im 100% with you murman.

And im sure I dont agree with m0nkeyman. How can you say something is "right" for Calgary, but god forbid Edmonton try it. If you were talking about bamboo huts, yeah thats insane, but I dont see why Arriva, for example, would be "insane" in Edmonton or Winnipeg.

If an office building can have 360 degree unobstructed glazing, then why shouldn't a res building?

And further against your observation, if I have a north-facing apartment that gets no direct sunlight, I'm going to want every possible candle-foot of indirect lighting into my suite, and a wall isn't going to get me there.
    The South elevation is identical to the North elevation.

Bd - was it you that knew the details of the tight EDC vote on this project?

C2E Posting Power

is there a site for this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru

guys, read up a bit.

105st 104ave south west corner

as for pricing, id expect to see 350-430sqft.
    www.decl.org

guys, read up a bit.
    I think he meant website.

guys, read up a bit.
    www.105st104ave.com

?
    www.decl.org

guys, read up a bit.
    www.105st104ave.com

?
    IanO, you're gonna have to do better than that. That's not even a valid site!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    guys, read up a bit.
    www.105st104ave.com

?
    IanO, you're gonna have to do better than that. That's not even a valid site!
    after breakfast i will
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

guys, read up a bit.

as for pricing, id expect to see 350-430sqft.
    i guess i should've been more clear, i did mean website.

The building looks like something I would find in Miami. I like it.

Monkeyman, Calgary is in the same boat that Edmonton is in climate wise.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH

Similar but not identical. The differences between Edmonton and Vancouver are obvious. The differences between Edmonton and Calgary are much, much smaller, but still exist. An extra half hour of sun in the summer, the lack of Chinooks. There are differences, which was my point.

We need to start coming up with good architecture that is designed here, for here, not looking at Vancouver designs and wishing they were built here... and the same goes for Calgary, although not as much.

Similar but not identical. The differences between Edmonton and Vancouver are obvious. The differences between Edmonton and Calgary are much, much smaller, but still exist. An extra half hour of sun in the summer, the lack of Chinooks. There are differences, which was my point.

We need to start coming up with good architecture that is designed here, for here, not looking at Vancouver designs and wishing they were built here... and the same goes for Calgary, although not as much.
    Sorry, M... you're not going to win your argument that Calgary designs are unworkable in Edmonton. That's just patently false.

Sorry, M... you're not going to win your argument that Calgary designs are unworkable in Edmonton. That's just patently false.

bingo....anything in edm,cal, mtl,otta,tor would work...
    www.decl.org

8/10

Good massing, but like others, I don't like the side wall.

If that was my argument, I'd expect to lose it. All I'm saying is that good to great architecture takes into account the site that it is on, including it's climate. And if you think Calgary and Edmonton have the same climate, you probably think that Victoria and Vancouver have the same climate.

grish

If that was my argument, I'd expect to lose it. All I'm saying is that good to great architecture takes into account the site that it is on, including it's climate. And if you think Calgary and Edmonton have the same climate, you probably think that Victoria and Vancouver have the same climate.
    just have a look at the historical records by temp, precipitation in all 4 seasons of edmonton and calgay and try to explain what sort of construction or design modification you would need to implement to account for a 2 degree temp difference and a 2 or 3 mm precip difference between the two cities.

edmonton is by 1 or 2 degrees warmer april through october and 2-3 degrees cooler nov through march.

bingo....anything in edm,cal, mtl,otta,tor would work...
    Based on climate - or at least based on heating degree days - Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon are all comparable within about 5%.

Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa are significantly different though, requiring about 20~30% less heating in a typical year than we do.

And then you get to Vancouver and Victoria needing about half the heating that we do.

It's the same thing for peak winter temperatures.

In Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon they range from -27 to -32.

In Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa from -17 to -22.

And in Vancouver and Victoria from -3 to -5.

So I will agree that anything that can work in Calgary should be able to work here. Extending that to Toronoto or Ottawa is stretching it though. And as for Vancouver and Victoria, there are really good reasons why our buildings don't look like their buildings.

but lots of new condos going up in Calgary do, so that's beside the point.
    Shameless Urbanophile

First One is Always Free

wow that looks really good...so much better than that reno everyones been so angry about lol

Addicted to C2E

edit

This is good, that corner is going to really POP!
    I expect the warehouse district to really start taking off in the next year or two.
    Norquest on 107th should hit the ground this spring and with this, parking lots are finally starting to disappear and not be replaced with crap (LEGACY COUGH COUGH).

Addicted to C2E

Q looks much better than the elevation led me to believe but I hope that's not reflective glass on the podium.

Q is looking really really good......i love the street level to be honest. That patio would be wicked in summer.....Say a moxies:>

Love the retail on the northside.

Two townhouses.....FINALLY.

This is one of the most exciting projects in the city IMO as it is on one of the most important intersections, ties in 104ave into the core, and injects much needed life into an area that is quiet.

GO Q GO.
    www.decl.org

[/img]
    www.decl.org

Urbanism defines Q on 105th Street, which strives to respect the pattern if development in the warehouse district of Downtown Edmonton.

The project respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design and materials such as, masonry, metal panels, glass and stucco that are compatible with the neighborhood. The textured masonry and curtain wall glass of those elements from 5th Avenue Lofts have all been reinterpreted in this design.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

I wonder which restaurant will end up in that podium.

Addicted to C2E

Almost forgot...

Quote Originally Posted by travis
    How about:

moxies

Earl's downtown

Milestones

KEG

Starbucks in one of the north facing units

an indepedent mid-priced fishhouse.
    www.decl.org

How about:

moxies

Earl's downtown

Milestones

KEG

I'm guessing a pizza place.

How about:

moxies

Earl's downtown

Milestones

KEG

relocate BP's there with the old one finally becoming "Q^2"....along with Q3 and Q4
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

How about:

moxies

Earl's downtown

Milestones

KEG

I don't think it will be anything like Earls or Moxies. That patio looks pretty small. I'm counting only eight tables. This is just a rendering though...

How about:

moxies

Earl's downtown

Milestones

KEG

relocate BP's there with the old one finally becoming "Q^2"....along with Q3 and Q4
    No smashing the current BPs building downtown plz...mmm delicious massive wood beams, drool.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Great, and we can have the neighboring building called SOx...

With it's twin EBITDA....
    President and CEO - Airshow.

The Q looks very nice. I wonder how the people who live in the Legacy will feel about their place when this is built.

Addicted to C2E

^Probably a loy better than the people in Q will feel about Legacy

Urbanism defines Q on 105th Street, which strives to respect the pattern if development in the warehouse district of Downtown Edmonton.

The project respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design and materials such as, masonry, metal panels, glass and stucco that are compatible with the neighborhood. The textured masonry and curtain wall glass of those elements from 5th Avenue Lofts have all been reinterpreted in this design.
    "respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design..."

Typical architectural mumbo-jumbo... Aside from the massing of the podium, this project has no visual representation of its historical neighbours.

I like most of the design, but don't tell me it fits in with its neighbours. I can show you well over a dozen projects in Yaletown that actually do what these architects claim.

grish

i like the building design (the Q). Can someone clarify this for me? What corner of the 105 street is this going on?

maybe i'm picky, but I feel the concept is there, but the design lacks. I feel the overal scale and massing is too large. The vertical elements with the spires do not fit into the context of the building.

The top 1/3 of the building with its' large vertical elements of glass and solid panels detract from the overall form of the building. To continue the lower patios vertical would better suit the building. The top of the building seems like it should continue higher, yet stops.

Like I said, the context of the development is great for the area. I feel the tower could use work.

^please keep this to the "Q".....and continue the TNP et al stuff here:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...?p=23140#23140
    www.decl.org

Gee, I thought it was the 5th STREET Lofts.

I am very interested in this project. Deposits?

s.

How about:

moxies

Earl's downtown

Milestones

KEG

HOLY CRAP...could we please NOT have a chain restaurant!?! I never had good food at any one of those listed!

But a Starbucks I could do with :P. I bet it will be a Starbucks...if you place where they already are on the map and where they COULD be...yup starbucks.

"respects the warehouse district by utilizing simple clean lines, modern design..."

Typical architectural mumbo-jumbo... Aside from the massing of the podium, this project has no visual representation of its historical neighbours.

I like most of the design, but don't tell me it fits in with its neighbours. I can show you well over a dozen projects in Yaletown that actually do what these architects claim.
    Yes, I agree. It doesn't really fit into the neighbourhood. And it really doesn't have any architectural significance. Stucco is NOT a building material. And the glass better not be reflective like that on the main floor retail.

I don't mind the design...just nothing that interesting or well integrated into the existing area or what it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE
    How about:

moxies

Earl's downtown

Milestones

KEG

HOLY CRAP...could we please NOT have a chain restaurant!?! I never had good food at any one of those listed!

But a Starbucks I could do with :P. I bet it will be a Starbucks...if you place where they already are on the map and where they COULD be...yup starbucks.

Downtown Edmonton needs 3-4 more big chain restaus to draw people.
    www.decl.org

[/quote] Gee, I thought it was the 5th STREET Lofts. I am very interested in this project. Deposits? s.[/quote]

I also like it - but agree with comments about it not really tying into the warehouse district as well as it could. None the less it is some of the best design we have seen in a long time. So who is the developer? and when can we see them taking deposits?

Gee, I thought it was the 5th STREET Lofts. I am very interested in this project. Deposits? s.[/quote]

I also like it - but agree with comments about it not really tying into the warehouse district as well as it could. None the less it is some of the best design we have seen in a long time. So who is the developer? and when can we see them taking deposits?[/quote]

developers are the parliament guys.

www.theparliament.ca i think
    www.decl.org

I think the Development Permit for "the Q" was in today's Edmonton Journal (page A7) - "10364 - 105 St NW. To construct an apartment house (102 dwellings)/general retail building with underground parkade (relaxed: private outdoor amenity area)."

Sounds like the right location.
    Almost always open to debate...

^tis...

walking around that area this past weekend....that tower will DO ABSOLUTE WONDERS for the look, feel, and vibrancy of that area.
    www.decl.org

^tis...

walking around that area this past weekend....that tower will DO ABSOLUTE WONDERS for the look, feel, and vibrancy of that area.
    That it will...most definitely. Very attractive building.

Does anyone know who the developer is? I know that BZK architects did the design, but not sure who the developer is.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink
    Does anyone know who the developer is? I know that BZK architects did the design, but not sure who the developer is.

the guys who did the parliament...which is a partnerhip including:

-voco boys
    -dennis obyrne
    -a few others i think
    www.decl.org

can someone photoshop that building into the lot from a distance? looking east from 109st and 104ave or something?
    www.decl.org

can someone photoshop that building into the lot from a distance? looking east from 109st and 104ave or something?
    give me a picture

If this is going in the SW corner of 104 Ave and 105 St, what happens with that Healy Ford car dealership next to it?

/\ It'll remain. In fact, the Healy folks own alot of land in around the downtown. **cough** "BP lands" **cough**

Really? Is Healy is the reason why the BP area is still mostly dusty parking lot? Where's my pitchfork?

Really? Is Healy is the reason why the BP area is still mostly dusty parking lot? Where's my pitchfork?
    im curious to know the environmental on those lands...
    www.decl.org

Shouldn't be so onerous so as to negate redevelopment. There are development companies that specialize in brownfields, and I would guess these lands would at worst, be milk chocolate brown.

Shouldn't be so onerous so as to negate redevelopment. There are development companies that specialize in brownfields, and I would guess these lands would at worst, be milk chocolate brown.
    In most cities perhaps. But here we accept a ten year remedation on Whyte Ave....

as CD would say...."enter the DC3"
    www.decl.org

Permit: 60854136-003
    To add one unit to an Apartment House (now 103 Dwellings) / General Retail (502sq.m. main floor retail space) building with underground parkade.
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lot 165
    10382 - 105 STREET NW
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 163-164 - DOWNTOWN
    Applicant: BRINSMEAD ZIOLA KENNEDY ARCHITECTURE
    Application Date: 7/16/2007
    www.decl.org

Default Corner 104 ave 105 st

Hi,

I just noticed what looks like construction materials on the corner of 104ave and 105st in the empty lot. It looks like I-beams but I am not sure. Is this the Q going up?

s.

apparently...shoring beams
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

Website with floor plans, pre-registration, etc. for the Q:

http://www.qcondos.com/

The more I look at the Q, the more I really like it. Lots of glass and big windows and balconies. The townhouse floorplans are really nice. I'm really happy to see construction starting.

if there is townhomes... how many retail spots will there be?

as well

Timeline
    Spring 2006
    Q condos appoint Brinsmead Ziola Kennedy Architects to complete architectural design of building.
    Protostatix Engineering appointed to develop structural design of building.
    Implicit engineering engaged to complete mechanical and electrical engineering.

April 2007
    Major Development permit received from City of Edmonton

Summer 2007
    Complete set of finished architectural drawings accomplished

Spring 2008
    Expected construction commencement date

Spring 2008
    Anticipated release of pre-sales: First Phase

From The Q site

C2E Posting Power

It's a bit over-the-top in my opinion...

Here's some additional info for those interested...(why and how could you add one more dwelling unit...must be someone with a lot of money to create that Change Order!)...

Major Development Permit
    Job No 60854136-003: To add one unit to an Apartment House (now 103 Dwellings) / General Retail (502sq.m. main floor retail space) building with underground parkade.
    10382 - 105 STREET NW
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lot 165
    10382 - 105 STREET NW
    Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 163-164
    BRINSMEAD ZIOLA KENNEDY ARCHITECTURE

(Red Boundary including the Yellow parcel shown below)...

In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

^It's the addition of a retail bay on the main level, all they have to do is shuffle some services around and move the dividing walls. Easy... unless you leave it 'till the building is half done!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast