Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Henday Drive | South West Leg | Completed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Anthony Henday Drive | South West Leg | Completed

According to the city website, AHD between Terwilligar and Gateway Blvd is slated to open October 11...ONE MONTH from now!

Looks like they're almost finished the parts of the interchange that need to be in place, while the rest of the construction continues for the SE leg. The directional and exit signs are up but covered.

I can't wait to drive it! The interchange itself should be...interesting!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It's going to be wicked!

I've seen both aerial and ground views of the new section of AHD. I want to drive that one day. The west end from Whitemd up to Gateway will be a new experience and I'd like to see how much the change east of there will look like.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

OPEN OPEN OPEN!!!!!!!

Ah, to kick IanO's butt around those corners....
    Onward and upward

I'd rather C2E than work!

What's with the wacky interchange though? People here complain about lefthand exits and entrances on the Whitemud all the time but this interchange will have more of them. They even built extra overpasses so the AHD westbound to Calgary trail offramp would be a lefthand entry and the Gateway to AHD eastbound would be a lefthand exit - I don't get it.

It's built so that the primary highway flow is from QE2 NB to AHD WB and vice-versa. So in effect, you are exiting the QE2 to drive into Edmonton.

grish

yep, I was going to say something similar. think of AHD as the freeway and gateway as a city street. then it is the gateway that is merging onto the freeway as it is supposed to do-on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    OPEN OPEN OPEN!!!!!!!

Ah, to kick IanO's butt around those corners....

bring it
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48
    What's with the wacky interchange though? People here complain about lefthand exits and entrances on the Whitemud all the time but this interchange will have more of them. They even built extra overpasses so the AHD westbound to Calgary trail offramp would be a lefthand entry and the Gateway to AHD eastbound would be a lefthand exit - I don't get it.
    It's built to be a high-speed interchange that gives full right of way to any direction. 'nough said.

It just seems to me that with all the work that went into building the interchange they could have built one of these

From Hicks on Six.........
    Here's some more info on interchange openings

THE END IS AT HAND

Lest we feel doomed to an eternity of road -construction purgatory ...

*Rejoice downtown-Sherwood Park commuters, The Low Level Bridge is ahead of schedule, targetted to reopen mid-October.

*The 156 Street overpass across the Yellowhead opens Oct. 5. That Yellowhead mess from 142 Street to 170 Street should be cleared up by Oct. 31.

*The Henday, the mighty Henday, is about to usher in a new age in city mobility. The Gateway/Calgary Trail interchange opens Oct. 11 allowing for clear sailing on the Henday (the outer ringer road) around the southwest from Calgary Trail up to the Yellowhead Highway.

*The road construction that's killing traffic movement on Whyte Avenue through Old Strathcona should be done by mid-October. Ditto for the 51 Avenue bottleneck from 97 Street to 106 Street. That's slated for a wrap by Sept. 30.

*Way out in the west end, the post-freeway Whitemud past Henday Drive has been completely closed for some time. That's caused no end of frustration, but the road should re-open by month's end.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

having the SW ring road open is HUGE for Edmonton...absolutely huge.

And with SE opening next yr....WOW...watch for the south to explode even more.
    www.decl.org

I can't wait to drive the entire length of AHD from Yellowhead to Yellowhead next year! Now they just need to build the overpasses on the SW leg and get the northern leg off the ground.

I cannot wait for this to open!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    It's built so that the primary highway flow is from QE2 NB to AHD WB and vice-versa. So in effect, you are exiting the QE2 to drive into Edmonton.
    /\ Bingo, the main route is NOT Gateway, it's AHD.

Furthermore, the on/off ramps have been designed to ensure adequate distance for proper merging.

It just seems to me that with all the work that went into building the interchange they could have built one of these
    Volumes didn't warrant having flyovers to and from Gateway. This interchange design is used for major-to-major highway access.

Maybe the symmetry is playing tricks with me, but the interchange in the wikipedia link looks less complicated than what was actually built at AHD/Gateway and it would have a very high capacity for all directions. It's also not clear to me that more traffic would be exiting Gateway than staying on it. Most of the traffic on highway 2 is bound for Edmonton and much of the city is still best accessed via Gateway.

Partially Addicted to C2E

^ Perhaps those people going downtown will stay on Gateway. Likely, anyone living on the northside of the city (north of yellowhead, anyway) will take AHD around to the north (once it is complete) and exit instead of going through the city. Further anyone on the southside (mainly south of whitemud) that live more than a few blocks east or west of Gateway will likely take AHD and exit at an appropriate exit. You must change your frame of thinking - just because Gateway has been the main route (for lack of any alternative to this point) doesnt mean it will remain. Gateway has essentially become an exit on the QEII/216 highway system.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman9669
    Gateway has essentially become an exit on the QEII/216 highway system.
    Exactly. AHD isn't being built solely for Edmonton's benefit. The SW section between the Yellowhead and Gateway is part of a major trucking route that extends from Mexico to Alaska, and includes US Interstate 5, QEII, Yellowhead, Hwy 43 and the Alaska Hwy.

Councillor wants payouts for 'noise, dust and dirt'

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...7/1853421.html

Quote Originally Posted by E-Town Crusader
    Councillor wants payouts for 'noise, dust and dirt'

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...7/1853421.html
    Good lord this man is an utter fool and a waste of air.

Again, the ring road plans have been in place for decades. Those residents should have considered that before building their homes so close to it. If Thiele is so hellbent on giving away tax money to these people then it must come from the provincial government, since they own the TUC and are the ones building the AHD.

We are so sorry you bought a house where you knew a highway would eventually be constructed...here have some money!

I am 100% against this. Maybe even 1000% against it.

^ That has got to be one of the worst I ideas I have ever herd coming from city council. Those residents should already know that construction of the AHD would happen. I'm sorry for the people who live there but that's life, get over it. Construction is temporary.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

What a horrible idea

That area has been slated as a transportation corridor for decades. Start paying people for construction dust there and you'll be paying out a LOT of money throughout the city.

Baaaaaaad idea, Dave. Bad.

C2E Continued Contributor

Dave Thiele's idea is going to die a very quick death anyway. We can't have people's taxes going up just because a few hundred have to be compensated for the noise and dust from AHD's construction - and I'm sure Mandel and most others in council's not that crazy enough to do this.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Agreed. The AHD has been proposed for years - and that has been no secret.
    Onward and upward

C2E SME

"Cough Cough Cough, oh my I've had to drive right through the AHD construction sites almost on a daily basis. I must have breathed in some dust. I think I should be receive some money too. Oh yeah, and because of construction traffic has been heavy so I've had to endure mental anguish and should receive even more monatary compensation."

Ummmmmmm, Dave Thiele, what in the wide world have you been smoking????

I say if Dave Thiele believes that all the people who live along side AHD should receive money then that's fine, but all the money should come out of Dave Thieles own pocket. The city of Edmonton or the Province of Alberta should not be paying compensation at all, (unless a dumptruck accidentally backs into a yard and knocks over a house, then maybe there is a slight argument at that point)

Does this mean that even though I know a street sweeper is coming down my street in the Spring,and will raise some dust and create some noise, that I am entitled to some money from the city. Come on Davey Boy give your head a shake. These people knew full well a LONG TIME AGO that AHD would be built through Millwoods.

Hahaha...absolutely ridiculous.

Yea, so the residents of Millwoods should be compensated whereas the residentis of Terwillegar and west Edmonton should not.

OMG. Is his popularity starting to dip? Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Exactly. AHD isn't being built solely for Edmonton's benefit. The SW section between the Yellowhead and Gateway is part of a major trucking route that extends from Mexico to Alaska, and includes US Interstate 5, QEII, Yellowhead, Hwy 43 and the Alaska Hwy.
    Seeing as how the SW section of AHD is part of the CANAMEX Highway (I-5, Hwy 4/2/43, etc.), it would have been nice if it would have been constructed to a freeway standard with no traffic lights right off the bat.

At least the the right-of-way is esatblished for future improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11
    I say if Dave Thiele believes that all the people who live along side AHD should receive money then that's fine, but all the money should come out of Dave Thieles own pocket.
    ^ I don't approve politicians buying votes.

...wait a minute

...he IS already trying to buy votes.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Henday marks path to our urban future

Paula Simons, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Saturday, October 07, 2006

Bill van der Meer is zipping up his fresh, white freeway, the top of his brown Audi convertible flipped down, his stereo blasting classic rock.

On this warm and sunny October morning, van der Meer has the southern-most leg of Anthony Henday Drive pretty much all to himself. There are no cars, minivans or semis. Just a few work crews, painting bright, yellow lines between the lanes as a few migrating geese wing past overhead.

This new eight-kilometre portion of the ring road won't be open to the public until the afternoon of Oct. 11. The latest segment of the Henday will link Terwillegar Drive to Calgary Trail. In just a few days, it will allow thousands of drivers a day to travel from the Queen Elizabeth II Highway, all the way up to the Yellowhead Trail, looping west around Edmonton's outskirts, thus bypassing heavy city traffic.

Van der Meer, the construction manager of the Anthony Henday Drive project, beams with proprietary pride as he shows off his baby. "It's so wide open. It's the widest road right-of-way in the province," he grins.

The southwest leg of the ring road isn't built of traditional black asphalt. Almost all of it is formed from grooved grey-white concrete. The concrete, van der Meer says, costs more at first, but requires far less maintenance. It will be 25 to 30 years, he estimates, before the road needs major repairs. The grooves create friction -- a smooth concrete surface would be too slippery.

The new section of the ring road is entirely free-flow: drivers won't hit any traffic lights between Calgary Trail and the north side of the North Saskatchewan River Bridge.

And with a maximum posted speed of 100 km/h, this new portion of the Henday should slash travel times for suburban commuters, long-haul truckers, WEM-bound tourists and anyone else trying to avoid increasingly congested arteries such as Calgary Trail, Gateway Boulevard or 109th Street.

Right now, though, the quiet, empty Henday looks more like a bucolic country byway than a metro freeway, as it wends its way through towering pines trees, golden aspen and fields of late-blooming wildflowers, their white and yellow blossoms coaxed to new life by the unseasonably warm weather.

The view is bittersweet. On the one hand, it's exciting to see an ambitious project like this come to fruition, to witness the innovative ways engineers and construction crews have found to forge a road through the wilderness, over river and creeks and old coal mines.

This bit of the ring road won't just make it faster to get from Point A to Point B. It will redefine this city's boundaries, its dimensions, its sense of itself. It will resculpt our regional identity, efficiently connecting Nisku, Leduc and the Edmonton International Airport to St. Albert, Stony Plain and Spruce Grove, binding us all more tightly together, socially and economically.

At the same time, it's hard not to see the ring road as a function, and an agent, of suburban sprawl. It's hard not to grieve for the farmland and wildland swallowed up by the housing developments sprouting up on either side of the freeway.

Love it or hate it, the Henday is marking the path to our urban future. Next fall, the southwest ring road will link up with the Henday's southeast leg, which is currently under construction.

By this time next year, the ring road circle should be about two-thirds complete, from 137th Avenue and 184th Street in the northwest to Yellowhead Trail and Highway 14 in the northeast.

The final leg, connecting St. Albert Trail north over the top of Castle Downs and back south over the river, is still on the drawing board.

The provincial Department of Infrastructure, which has charge of the ring road, has the north segment in its long-term plans, but it has announced no funding for the project, and no firm timelines.

While many construction projects are having difficulty staying on budget these days, or even finding work crews, the ring road largely avoided such problems. Because work began six years ago, when the economy wasn't superheated, the province was able to lock in its contracts. The whole southwest ring road, which includes 40 km of driving surface and a new bridge across the North Saskatchewan, cost $310 million.

"Compared to today's dollars, that's a pretty good deal," van der Meer says.

Costs did go up, since the province had to fast-track construction of two interchanges at Cameron Heights and Lessard. So many people have moved into the areas, the interchanges were needed years sooner than first planned.

Van der Meer, though, seems proudest of the way his team bridged Whitemud Creek.

The creek area was once a big open-pit coal mine. The Henday team had to find a way to fill and stabilize the ground, maintain the integrity of the creek and provide a safe crossing area for wildlife. They also had to design a secure walking and cycling path through the ravine.

In the end, they sculpted a stunning white concrete bridge that whisks cars over the creek, while creating a curvilinear pedestrian bridge with a dramatic skylight, slung low over the water. The black barren sides of the old mine, meanwhile, have largely been reclaimed and replanted. Total cost: $15 million.

In the end, perhaps, that little bridge is a fitting symbol for the ring road. An artful feat of engineering and design. An intrusion of our modern industrial world in the rural wilderness. A link between Edmonton's past and Edmonton's future.

The Henday is a route. But it's up to us to decide where we want to go.

[email protected]

ON TRACK

- What's New: The province is opening another eight kilometres of the Anthony Henday ring road, connecting Calgary Trail to Terwillegar Drive.

This completes the southwest segment of the ring road, a 40-kilometre segment that links the QEII Highway to Highway 16.

- What does it cost: Total cost for the southwest ring road is $310 million, funded by Alberta Infrastructure.

- When does it open: The afternoon of Wednesday, Oct. 11.

- What's next: This time next year, the southeast portion of the ring road will open.

The two parts will connect via an elaborate series of ramps and overpasses over the QEII.

By next fall, the Anthony Henday will stretch from 184th Street and 137th Avenue in the northwest, to Yellowhead Trail and Highway 14 in the northeast.

- When will the Henday be complete: It's uncertain. The province has committed to complete the north link, but it has announced no budget and no timeline for the final portion of the project.
    Great article.
    Paula's comment about AHD generating more urban sprawl compels me to reiterate this:
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, NO MORE TRAFFIC LIGHTS ON AHD!

wicked
    www.decl.org

A maximum posted speed of 100 km/h. Finally a more realistic speed limit

C2E SME

Now only if they can look at those speeds on the section accross the north sask river and further to the west end.

I'm looking forward to the road opening.

Costs did go up, since the province had to fast-track construction of two interchanges at Cameron Heights and Lessard. So many people have moved into the areas, the interchanges were needed years sooner than first planned.
    So, are these interchanges under construction? I haven't been out that way so I am unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    So, are these interchanges under construction? I haven't been out that way so I am unsure.
    I live in the westend,and construction has not begun on either Cameron Heights or Lessard overpasses. I'd say it's probably going to be a few years before anything starts to happen in these two areas.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Nor have I seen anything as I drive the route. I think it will be faster than a couple of years though...
    Onward and upward

C2E SME

One area that sucks and there is no reason why they couldn't have just finished it now is the traffic lights at Whitemud and AHD. The lights are just for traffic turning onto AHD but still why not just build the ramps right now?

Well at least at Lessard and Cameron Heights they built up the land for overpasses.

Simons may have meant that the intersections at Cameron and Lessard were fast-tracked. The overpass mounds are there, but who knows when they'll actually build the interchanges.

First One is Always Free

Default AHD west

Why is their no access to 111st from AHD west when coming from hwy 2 North???? It seems odd since eventually 111st will become a major road when the LRT is extended to Century park.

Their is also no access to AHD west when coming from ellerslie road and exiting on to Gateway Blvd. As a resident along 111st living in Macewan I see this as huge problem as all traffic coming from any where east off 111st and south of 23 ave (Beaumont, Summerside, Ellerslie xing etc.) will all have to go down the already congested ellerslie road and exiting on the 111st interchange. I understand this will be resolved when AHD east is complete but it just doesn't seem to be the best planning.

Default Re: AHD west

Quote Originally Posted by Kraigr
    Why is their no access to 111st from AHD west when coming from hwy 2 North???? It seems odd since eventually 111st will become a major road when the LRT is extended to Century park.
    Perhaps the logic behind this decision is that vehicles could get to 111 Street via Ellerslie or 23 Avenue.

Their is also no access to AHD west when coming from ellerslie road and exiting on to Gateway Blvd. As a resident along 111st living in Macewan I see this as huge problem as all traffic coming from any where east off 111st and south of 23 ave (Beaumont, Summerside, Ellerslie xing etc.) will all have to go down the already congested ellerslie road and exiting on the 111st interchange. I understand this will be resolved when AHD east is complete but it just doesn't seem to be the best planning.
    Most of the people in the Southeast portion of the City (Ellerslie Crossing, Summerside, etc) will access AHD via 50 Street or 91 Street interchanges. You basically answered your question that this access dilemma will be resolved when AHD SE opens.

First One is Always Free

Hey chris you must work for the city as that is exactly the thinking that they use. So let's see if I'm reading this correct, you would rather traffic use Ellerslie road or 23ave instead of AHD to get to 111st. So if I'm coming from Leduc / Nisku / Airport and want to get to 111st (century park/LRT) you would rather I take Ellerslie road to get their. HA ha ha that's realy smart. Have you driven Ellerslie road before. It's brutal and no it won't be getting better now that AHD is open. Why not have a simple exit on AHD?????

Everyone that lives on Ellerslie (southbrook, Macewan, Rutherford) be prepared for traffic congestion. If you thought waiting 10min to get 2 blocks was bad be prepared for a much longer wait as everyone in Beaumont, Summerside, Ellerslie crossing etc. will be driving ellerslie to get to 111st interchange as that is the only access to AHD for the next year. Have Fun!!!!!! Check out the following link to see the plans

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...DSWchanges.pdf

I just had a look at that pdf. There's serveral hundred metres available for a weaving lane to allow Gateway to 111St access via AHD. Adding it would be a straightforward project but it should have been of the plan from the beginning, as 23Av and 9Av SW (aka Ellerslie Rd) are overcrowded already. Another simple addition would be a ramp to allow access to Ellerslie Rd from AHD westbound.

Also note this:

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...ction/faqs.htm

Ellerslie Road

1. Why weren?t the AHD and Ellerslie Rd. exchanges combined?

All estimates of future transportation needs indicated the need for two facilities; Ellerslie Road will largely handle traffic generated by new residential subdivisions south of the Transportation and Utility corridor, while Anthony Henday Drive will serve a more regional function. The interchanges are, because of their proximity to each other, closely integrated with each other.

Hey chris you must work for the city as that is exactly the thinking that they use. So let's see if I'm reading this correct, you would rather traffic use Ellerslie road or 23ave instead of AHD to get to 111st. So if I'm coming from Leduc / Nisku / Airport and want to get to 111st (century park/LRT) you would rather I take Ellerslie road to get their. HA ha ha that's realy smart. Have you driven Ellerslie road before. It's brutal and no it won't be getting better now that AHD is open. Why not have a simple exit on AHD?????
    Don't blame the city, ask the folks at Alberta Transportation why they didn't build a basket weave ramp over the westbound AHD lanes to the on ramp to 111 Street.

I would have expected an exit to 111 Street from AHD but they obviously didn't think it was necessary.

Everyone that lives on Ellerslie (southbrook, Macewan, Rutherford) be prepared for traffic congestion. If you thought waiting 10min to get 2 blocks was bad be prepared for a much longer wait as everyone in Beaumont, Summerside, Ellerslie crossing etc. will be driving ellerslie to get to 111st interchange as that is the only access to AHD for the next year. Have Fun!!!!!! Check out the following link to see the plans
    I believe the city will be twinning Ellerslie Road from Gateway east to 91 Street or so sometimes next year. I am unsure as to when they are twinning Ellerslie from 111 Street to Gateway as they have to build a bridge crossing Blackmud Creek.

No, those from Beaumont will likely connect to the AHD via the 50 Street interchange when opened in 07.

Plus, it's not like traffic volumes are going to increase exponentially than they already are without the Henday even open.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

While I would like the AHD/111th interchange to include Westbound traffic, I am more concerned with the overpasses on Cameron and Lessard Drives. Plus, once I saw those @#@)%*#*$ traffic lights on AHD and Highway 16, I am so not a happy camper...

They are doing the SW and SE so good, why screw the West and NW sections up??? When will I see that overpass on 16A and the AHD - in 40 years when the LRT is supposed to come to WEM??????
    Onward and upward

I live in Lessard and I really hope they get those west interchanges started sooner rather than later.

Plus, once I saw those @#@)%*#*$ traffic lights on AHD and Highway 16, I am so not a happy camper...
    You're referring to the traffic lights at Yellowhead Trail where the West Regional Road is almost opened, right? That will be a temporary measure for sure because I noticed that the WRR is an undivided 4-lane road. How temporary, who knows? I wish they'd do that interchange properly right now. But it looks like they'll wait until the nAHD is funded and a P3 contract is signed because a completed interchange is in the nAHD plans.

What traffic lights on AHD and Hwy 16? Are you talking about the Yellowhead or Stony Plain Road (16X)?

If it's Yellowhead, then the lights are interim until they complete the interchange upgrade.

I would say they are more than interim or temporary lights, that implies a concrete timeline until they are replaced. This is more of an example of poorly planned, stop gap construction. They have a proper interchange earmarked for this spot but they have one planned for the Henday and 16A and that intersection has been totally inadequate since they built it. This shows that the City of Edmonton is not the only administration around that knows how to throw away money.

C2E SME

I drove AHD today off of yellowhead and I was also suprised to see the stop lights their. I'm actually very worried that those lights could end up being there for a long long time. By the way, how far north does AHD go right now after those lights?

Second area that is so dissapointing is the 16X intersections. There is already so much traffic there on stony plain road you would think they would have built the interchange there during this round of construction.

Third area that I'm still sad about but I'm not holding my breath on is the intersections at Cameron, Lessard and also the one just before the north sask heading southbound.

I drove AHD today off of yellowhead and I was also suprised to see the stop lights their. I'm actually very worried that those lights could end up being there for a long long time. By the way, how far north does AHD go right now after those lights?

Second area that is so dissapointing is the 16X intersections. There is already so much traffic there on stony plain road you would think they would have built the interchange there during this round of construction.

Third area that I'm still sad about but I'm not holding my breath on is the intersections at Cameron, Lessard and also the one just before the north sask heading southbound.
    Don't worry about the lights....they are INTERIM....

The Henday heads about 800 or 1000m north and then turns into the West Highway 2 Bypass towards St. Albert.

The province plans to build the interchanges (Lessard, Cameron Dr.) and flyover (69 Ave?) within 3 years.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I think it is 62 ave - the one that turns into Callingwood Road. There are embankments already built for either a full overpass or a flyover...

The concern about the lights before the junction of West Bypass/AHD is not so much as they are supposed to be interim, it is just how INTERIM they are! The land and the approaches are there, so how long, or is this the son of Yellowhead???
    Onward and upward

C2E SME

Well I will say that AHD is so far already further ahead than Yellowhead in that the number of intersections right now are less and also at all the intersection the land has already been graded for bridges, it's now just a matter of building those bridges.

Also wooohooo!!! AHD south west opens today.

grish

Wooohoo indeed!!! it is 10:02 on my clock and the road must be open. Cannot wait to take a test drive. Stupid work gets in the way of all good things

The concern about the lights before the junction of West Bypass/AHD is not so much as they are supposed to be interim, it is just how INTERIM they are! The land and the approaches are there, so how long, or is this the son of Yellowhead???
    Like I said before, it's likely going to be until the north leg of the AHD gets going.

took the the new leg of AHD today. I live in Lessard and what normally takes me 30 min to get to Ikea only took me 14 minutes! WOO HOO!! YES!

Thats 16 more minutes where you can buy swedish crap!

I decided to go for a drive and check out AHD.....awesome. Watch those speeds though, there are cops all over.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT
    I decided to go for a drive and check out AHD.....awesome. Watch those speeds though, there are cops all over.

"going to slow in an SHO"...if it rhymes it must be true.
    www.decl.org

Cops are all over on the first day the road is open. Hmmm...do you think someone set the speed limit too low?

Cops are all over on the first day the road is open. Hmmm...do you think someone set the speed limit too low?

no, people pushed the pedal too hard.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I too made it to the new part of AHD it's great. Also happy that the speed limit is at 100km.

I entered from gateway southbound and I see why you can't exit to 111. I think they could have still figured something out rather than how it currently is.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I too made it to the new part of AHD it's great. Also happy that the speed limit is at 100km.

I entered from gateway southbound and I see why you can't exit to 111. I think they could have still figured something out rather than how it currently is.
    I saw that too. There is no way w/o a AND to 111th flyover to get fast access. If they put a weaving lane there - holy accidents batman - shades of Terwillegar traffic trying to get to Fox...

LindseyT - why worry about the cops, you drive an SHO after all... :P
    Onward and upward

I drove the new AHD tonight too.

I headed down Calgary Trail, U-turned at Gateway Park, drove AHD all the way to the Yellowhead, U-turned at the 231 St exit, drove AHD all the way back to Gateway Park, U-turned there again, shot across to the Ellerslie exit, zipped down Ellerslie (which looks like it's going to be expanded to 4 lanes real soon) to 111 St and then to the AHD/111 St exit, then took the Gateway Blvd exit from AHD.

(** sigh** yes, I do indeed need a life. )

I'm still not sure if I like the grooved concrete surface. I get this feeling that my tires are getting ripped to shreds. Apart from that and the usual complaints (traffic lights), I was quite impressed. Get those overpasses built NOW, ban any further traffic lights, and this road will truly be world-class.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

From Mr. Hicks...note the lack of belief in the INTERIM nature of the traffic lights and other things...for those who say INTERIM...we don't believe you. Sure, there are "plans" (read piles of dirt on the side of the road) to remove this, but the little sentence highlited below is one reason long time Edmontonians are skeptical - we've heard "interim" before...

So, province, prove us wrong, PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton Sun

THE NEW HENDAY SOUTHWEST

1:35 p.m: Depart from downtown in the Hicks-On-Six mobile, up to the Yellowhead en route to Henday Drive.

1:55: Navigate between fuel tankers and heavy haulers in the inner lanes (making the Yellowhead our scariest thoroughfare) under the new 156 Street overpass en route west.

2:07: Three honkin' big trucks and one minivan roll onto the Henday/Yellowhead interchange, heading south on the Henday.

Little crowded at the top of the road as the 14 wheelers jockey for position under the CNR overpass.

2:10: The big boys gear down at the Stony Plain Road red light. We sit, engines idling, for a full minute.

2:11: Green light at the 100 Avenue intersection. Yahoo!

Look around, but see no signs of a future overpass.

Once past 100 Avenue, things get pleasant. For the sake of this story, we stick to 90 kmh. Trucks whistle by as we cross over the Whitemud.

Glancing down, the Whitemud entrances to the Henday, north and south, still involve stoplights and left-hand turns. Sigh.

But we're on the Henday, it's smooth sailing and life is good.

2:15: Red light at Collingwood/62 Avenue intersection, for 25 seconds. Big piles of dirt on either side . An indication that, in a time far, far away, the province will actually build an overpass.

(I am reminded of the pile of now-overgrown dirt that sits southeast of the 105th Street Bridge. Old-timers call it Danzer's Folly - said dirt was dumped in the mid '60s when Mayor Vic Danzer wanted to twin the 105th Street Bridge. Forty years ago!)

2:17: Green light through the Lessard Road interchange. Yippee. Note more hopeful mounds of dirt lined up on either side.

The Henday begins its gentle southeast curve. Very pleasant drive. New houses are within shouting distance as we flow past the Cameron Heights exit.

2:19: We glide into the river valley, splendid view of the fading autumn colors on either side of the bridge. Too bad there's no sense of actually being on a bridge as you cross the river, but that's modern road building.

The same bridge, seen from the river, is majestic.

2:20: Out of the river valley on the grooved concrete, which feels good under the wheels. Under the Terwilligar Drive overpass into the BRAND-NEW part of the Henday, opened just hours before - from Terwilligar Drive to Calgary Trail/Gateway Boulevard.

Again, no lights or stops.

We've heard all about the innards under the Whitemud Creek Bridge with its pedestrian and animal crossings. But on top, it's just highway.

2:25: Past the abrupt exit to 127 Street, which only goes south. No stop lights. Hooray!

2:26: Under the enormous 111 Street overpass. Before you know it ...

2:27: Down the smooth, well-graded roundabout exit to Gateway Boulevard.

Time from the Yellowhead to Gateway Boulevard on the Henday, 20 minutes.

In light traffic, at the speed limit, with 90 seconds lost at those %$#^%$ stop lights.

HENDAY SOUTHWEST: THE CONSEQUENCES

Traffic movement from the west end to the south side is immeasurably improved.

It'll cut 15 to 20 minutes off the drive from St. Albert to the airport, at least 10 minutes off the same trip from the west end.

More important, it's a pleasant drive. Nice surroundings, sense of expanse, good road grip, splendid river valley vista, room to safely pass trucks and slower traffic.

It will be interesting to see how traffic patterns settle down.

Will Henday Drive have its own bottlenecks in a few weeks? Will truck traffic noticeably lessen on the Whitemud west?

Will enough traffic be diverted off the Whitemud to ease the near daily rush-hour paralysis?

If you live in the northwest quadrant of the city, you'll be experimenting.

Which way will be faster to the deep south, out to the Henday and down?

Using the congested Whitemud/Calgary Trail? Weaving through more direct but screwy downtown routes?

Every action has a reaction.

With Terwilligar Drive a major route from the Henday to the Whitemud, will Riverbendians be complaining of traffic snarls on their only north-south artery?

Will traffic from the new 'burbs of the deep southwest, flowing up to the university and downtown via Henday, Terwilligar, Whitemud, 122 Street or 111 Street/109 Street, make more of a rush-hour mess in the inner south-west than now exists?

Will Light Rapid Transit, once it reaches Foote Field, then Southgate, then Century Park, make any difference?

How much more stress will be on those roads when the mega-Edmonton Clinic opens to cure the walking sick ... right across 114 Street from University Hospital.

No matter. The pluses of the Henday outweigh negatives.

And in just one year, Henday Drive will stretch all the way from the Yellowhead in the west end to the Yellowhead in the east end, thanks to the wonders of the private-public partnership building that southeast extension at extraordinary speed.

Yahoo!
    Sure, it was only 90 seconds, but this was in light traffic. Give it the volumes that are most certainly going to hit the Henday, and these lights could induce a 3-4 stop light wait each, now making a 10-15 minute wait and reminiscent of Gateway/Yellowhead.

Otherwise, this road is excellent. The P3 portion is well done and on time. Let's see how this funding works long term. I know I am excited to see the whole thing come to fruition.
    Onward and upward

I saw that too. There is no way w/o a AND to 111th flyover to get fast access. If they put a weaving lane there - holy accidents batman - shades of Terwillegar traffic trying to get to Fox...
    This was what I was thinking for an access from Gateway to 111 St. It looks like there would be plenty of room to merge with the existing 111St access ramp. The merge zone would extend further than indicated (my freehand drawing skills suck).

I just returned from trying out the new AHD extension. So far it looks great; although, I am a concerned about the Stony Plain Road - AHD intersection once everyone starts using the AHD from QE2 - Hwy16. Another thing I noticed is that you cannot exit AHD onto Ellerrslie Road. Myself and about 4 other vehicles at the same time all went throught the Edmonton Information Area parking lot to turn around to get back on Gateway Blvd. Does anyone know if they are going to make an exit onto the Elerslie Road on ramp possible in the future, or will you need to exit at 111 St. to get onto Ellerslie? Otherwise the trip was great!

/\ No, there will be no exit to Ellerslie from AHD SB.

Once the SE leg opens, you will have access to Ellerslie from 91 and 50 Streets.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    I just returned from trying out the new AHD extension. So far it looks great; although, I am a concerned about the Stony Plain Road - AHD intersection once everyone starts using the AHD from QE2 - Hwy16.
    Well you are not the only one concerned about this intersection. I have driven down that road alot, and i have seen how busy it gets between st. plain rd and the whitemud. well now that the SW portion is fully operational what do you is going to happen there now, im guessing that sometimes traffic will be backed up alllll the way to 62Ave/Callingwood road. Something needs to be done at the AHD/St.P/100Ave intersections, and that would be.... you guessed it... GET AN INTERCHANGE BUILT THERE!!!!! (with no traffic signals). but the way it looks that is not goin to happen for a very long while. (unless someone here knows otherwise?)

Why is their no access to 111st from AHD west when coming from hwy 2 North???? It seems odd since eventually 111st will become a major road when the LRT is extended to Century park. .
    Seems to me that finally someone in the planning stage had a little bit of sense. My feeling is diametrically opposite of yours. In my opinion, there is too much access and egress from our major throughways.

AHD was designed to be a bypass not a municipal traffic artery. What you are asking for will result in another mess like we have on the Whitemud at 99th, 103rd, 104th, 106th, and 111th.

I have felt for a long time that our city planners had no grip on reality. Just look at the hazards and bottlenecks they tend to create. The above mentioned Whitemud mess, Whitemud between Terwillegar and Quesnell Bridge, 97th Ave at 103 Street, Mayfield Rd at 170th Street and S.P.R. to mention just four.

Of course, it doesn't matter how good the road, if the driver is inept. I can't count the number of times I've had to stop on an on-ramp because someone ahead of me couldn't figure out how to use a merge lane.

Quote Originally Posted by dwells
    Of course, it doesn't matter how good the road, if the driver is inept. I can't count the number of times I've had to stop on an on-ramp because someone ahead of me couldn't figure out how to use a merge lane.
    That and having people not allow you to 'merge' into traffic just kills me. People here (Alberta in general) have terrible highway / freeway ediquette.

That and having people not allow you to 'merge' into traffic just kills me. People here (Alberta in general) have terrible highway / freeway ediquette.
    True, but I do absolutely nothing to help the people who are trying to merge onto the Whitemud at 65 km/h. They can find their own gap.

C2E SME

If traffic that is trying to merge at least tries to enter at speed than cool and I'll let them in all the time. Its just very frustrating and sometimes very scary when you'll travelling down the road with traffic right behind you and you see someone trying to merge travelling at 50 km/h or less. Yes sometimes you can't over commit and enter at the speed of the freeway and maybe not get an opening, but when sometimes its just rediculous.

People trying to merge at a slow speed are my biggest pet peeve.

Even better than that are the people who merge on the whitemud doing 65 then take up until the next overpass to get up to the flow of traffic, only to have a chain of 30 cars behind them making it just about impossible for anyone to merge onto the freeway.

If I had my way...........

... having people not allow you to 'merge' into traffic just kills me. People here (Alberta in general) have terrible highway / freeway ediquette.
    Agreed that many of our drivers are poorly trained. Given that, is it reasonable that we have access and egress every few blocks?

Between Gateway and 111 Street we have, depending on how you count them, six, eight, or ten lanes merging into three westbound lanes. In the interests of safety, I vote for letting people who want to go on 111 Street find another way.

If I were asked before the construction began, I would have suggested a simple flyover for 111 Street. Sorry guys, my insurance costs enough as it is.

D.Wells

The same people who annoy me by merging at 65 are also usually the same ones who think those roadside number signs are indicating "average speed."

Between Gateway and 111 Street we have, depending on how you count them, six, eight, or ten lanes merging into three westbound lanes. In the interests of safety, I vote for letting people who want to go on 111 Street find another way.
    The ramp I suggested would only require drivers to cross two lanes to get from Gateway northbound to 111St northbound via the AHD exit, and they would have about a kilometer to do it. They would first merge with traffic on the AHD westbound to 111St exit ramp and then get into to right lane of said exit ramp to go north on 111St.

The ramp I suggested would only require drivers to cross two lanes to get from Gateway northbound to 111St northbound via the AHD exit, and they would have about a kilometer to do it. They would first merge with traffic on the AHD westbound to 111St exit ramp and then get into to right lane of said exit ramp to go north on 111St.
    What's on 111th between Ellerslie and 23rd Ave that makes this necessary?

I can only see another bottleneck as we have on Whitemud at 53 Ave with drivers from Terwillegar trying to get onto Fox Drive. The layouts appear to be similar.

What's on 111th between Ellerslie and 23rd Ave that makes this necessary?
    Century Park, for starters. But traffic for that could be eased if city council got off their arses and got that 23rd Ave interchange built at Gateway Blvd .

took the girl to the airport yesterday and had to go to mom's on the way back in riverbend.....god i love AHD....from airport to my moms it was about 15min, where as before 25 with lights and traffic.

thank you AHD
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Because of the speed limits and the absense of lights I love travelling AHD when going to the west end. Although I start complaining once I cross the North Sask River and see the traffic lights.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Because of the speed limits and the absense of lights I love travelling AHD when going to the west end. Although I start complaining once I cross the North Sask River and see the traffic lights.
    mmhmm....what a pita
    www.decl.org

Default Access to Anthony Henday on the South Side.

So I was trying to leave South Edmonton Common today and I thought I would be clever by taking Parsons Road to Ellerslie Road and then NB on Gateway to Anthony Henday....i guess i should have checked that before hand

i had to go around again, and then southbound to gateway park and then haul *** across 4 lanes of traffic at 110 into the park and then turn back northbound just to get access to AHD.

any chance anyone knows about easier access in the meantime until AHD SE opens in October?

23 ave is just ridiculous but i guess after today, its pretty much that or the whitemud.

oh edmonton, build a road system that works please!!!!

grish

we would, but we need all the users of our roads to pull the money together to do it right.

C2E SME

Well as for AHD, it will be open this fall. But as for getting onto AHD from SEC the only 2 choices are 23 ave and south on Calgary Trail. The second option isn't the greatest but is south on Parsons Rd. then west on Ellerslie Rd a few blocks to the next overpass on AHD. I forget what street it is.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Yeah I thought about that, I think its 111 Street (not sure if it has WB access) or its 119/127 next and thats even worse with *wait until its safe to try and go*

Not that its anything special but I try to avoid the hassle of Ellerslie west of Hwy 2 if at ALL possible.

id rather go thru the mutli-lane change at 110 again. haha.

Re: AHD - Send all comments and issues relating to access / interchange ramps etc to Alberta Infrastructure. They are the ones that decided this NOT the City of Edmonton.

You can get WB on AHD from 111 Street.

Default Speed limits on Anthony Henday DR

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew the speed limit on Anthony Henday dr goning north bound @Lessard road was?
    Im only asking because I just got this photo radar ticket. I remember the day and I saw the van so i looked down at my speedometer and It said 90km/h. Which I thought was all good but apparently its 70km/h their saying. If anyone knows could they please email me at [email protected] thanks alot.

Addicted to C2E

Welcome to C2E.

It drops down to 70 in a couple of sections north of the river around the grade level intersections.

It is also 60 as you enter it from Gateway but no one seems to see the signs - zoom zoom

Quote Originally Posted by kona
    Welcome to C2E.

It drops down to 70 in a couple of sections north of the river around the grade level intersections.

It is also 60 as you enter it from Gateway but no one seems to see the signs - zoom zoom
    I will echo that welcome to C2E too!

Yeah, AHD is 60 right off QEII (which no one does ) then goes up to 80 and then 100 almost immediately. It is 100 past Terwilliger and then it is 90 or 70 as you approach the traffic lights along it.

yup, 70 through those silly lights. Please, someone get rid of the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by feepa
    yup, 70 through those silly lights. Please, someone get rid of the lights.
    ^ YES!

yeah they recently dropped the limit between lessard and cameron heights in both directions down to 90 too and honestly 60 coming off the QE2 is just ridiculous. the new section of north anthony henday by st albert better be 100 thru and thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Topher
    yeah they recently dropped the limit between lessard and cameron heights in both directions down to 90 too and honestly 60 coming off the QE2 is just ridiculous. the new section of north anthony henday by st albert better be 100 thru and thru.
    Don't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Fawlty
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher
    Don't count on it.
    uhh... its being built full out, count on it to have a full (normal) highway speed limit. There wont be lights like the SE section

I drove through that area yesterday and was thinking "Why lights?"

The answer is probably because it's the cheapest way to go. There's lots of room for a cloverleaf at those intersctions, so probably some time in the distant future the Henday will become a true freeway, as it should be, but I won't be holding my breath until it happens.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat
    I drove through that area yesterday and was thinking "Why lights?"

The answer is probably because it's the cheapest way to go. There's lots of room for a cloverleaf at those intersctions, so probably some time in the distant future the Henday will become a true freeway, as it should be, but I won't be holding my breath until it happens.
    yes, thats the plan... all those lights on the SW section of AHD better be taken out in the next 15 years.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast