Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Henday Drive | South West Leg | Completed

Should have been free-flow. But they made the bridge with only two lanes so it's a bottleneck, in both directions.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Half the problem with the above picture is that nobody in this city has any idea how to merge. People cutting in before others and then not allowing people in? People who slam on the brakes rather than zippering. Not letting people merge in (not leaving space or closing the available space).

An extra lane would be helpful though.
    so much this. i take this every day in the evening and its always the same. couple idiots come to a complete stop in the merge lane and basically **** everyone else over. its a chain effect.

also USE THE ENTIRE MERGE LANE!
    Absolutely this. Why can't so many drivers handle merging? Is it p*** poor driving schools? Is it just plain pigheadedness on the part of drivers refusing to give an inch? Are there that many jerks on the road here?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Is it p*** poor driving schools? Is it just plain pigheadedness on the part of drivers refusing to give an inch? Are there that many jerks on the road here?
    Yes, yes, yes.

Agree, agree, agree ...

Yet, having both QEII and Terwilligar merge lanes so close together was poor planning and a contributing factor. Essentially QEII traffic has to merge twice.

Maybe nothing could be done - but adding another centre "through" lane on the Henday sure wouldn't hurt.
    ... gobsmacked

QEII and Tewillegar merge lanes are close together? What? Maybe I misread that.

You have 2 lanes on the ramp coming NB from QE to merge into one just before the merge AHD WB which then ends and yes another lane on AHD WB is needed.

Terwillegar WB has 2 lanes on the ramp which goes to 1 then merges with AHD WB another lane is needed but it will be more expensive because it would involve widening the bridge.

I think McBoo is confusing Terwilligar and 111st.

^ Thank you yes. Confusion was apparently reigning supreme. So, two merge events too close together - being QEII and 111 Street.

Now, how to get my head screwed back on correctly ...
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Continued Contributor

There's three merges there too close together. QEII has two separate ones.

Noticed that NW Stoney Trail is already being upgraded to 3 lanes all the way to the Bow river. So, Alberta, how much longer until the same is done for SW Henday? Even simply adding a third lane from Gateway to Terwillegar would drastically improve things.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

NW Stoney is an important road, let's me easily get past Calgary on my way to where I want to go.

Every time I drive the SW Henday, I think to myself "who was the ***** that designed this?" It's terrible. The 2 lanes and concrete overlay just add insult to injury.

Then when I saw the NW Stoney in Calgary- built after our SW Henday and with lower volumes- has already been widened, it became very clear where our provincial infrastructure dollars are being pushed.

The last kick in the nuts came a week ago coming back from southern Alberta and using the SE Stoney bypass from Deerfoot around the SE corner of Calgary. It runs through nowhere for the most part and has between 3 and 4 lanes in some places. And here we are on our crappy SW leg with up to 90K vehicles (or more now) using 2 lanes. Who do I kick in the head in our provincial government?

Yeah, especially westbound at Gateway/111st interchanges during the evening rush hour, slows down to a crawl everyday. This area needs to be fixed first imo. Then get to the 3rd lane.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

With suburban growth in the southwest and west this problem is gonna get worse and worse. Being that they just made this highway a few years ago, I can not believe the shortsightedness here, I mean what bureaucrat decided to make himself look good and save money? Two lanes with three major onramps in the same area? Its terrible.

I can through there the other evening and the North to west ramp was still backed up due to volume past the east to south overpass. It was 19:00hrs!!!
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

First One is Always Free

Seems as though there is a provincial by- election in an adjacent riding with an unelected cabinet minister looking for a seat. Is the SW Henday an issue candidates are even talking about? I haven't seen a darn thing about it.
    Knife

Quote Originally Posted by KMart View Post
    Every time I drive the SW Henday, I think to myself "who was the ***** that designed this?" It's terrible. The 2 lanes and concrete overlay just add insult to injury.

Then when I saw the NW Stoney in Calgary- built after our SW Henday and with lower volumes- has already been widened, it became very clear where our provincial infrastructure dollars are being pushed.

The last kick in the nuts came a week ago coming back from southern Alberta and using the SE Stoney bypass from Deerfoot around the SE corner of Calgary. It runs through nowhere for the most part and has between 3 and 4 lanes in some places. And here we are on our crappy SW leg with up to 90K vehicles (or more now) using 2 lanes. Who do I kick in the head in our provincial government?
    Primarily Calgarians that have been in power known as the Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    Yeah, especially westbound at Gateway/111st interchanges during the evening rush hour, slows down to a crawl everyday. This area needs to be fixed first imo. Then get to the 3rd lane.
    The third lane would solve a lot of the problem.

Yes it would. The problem, i think, was that planning for this ringroad took place well before the population explosion that has taken place the last 3.5 years. It just seems every artery is experiencing traffic nightmares.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Yes it would. The problem, i think, was that planning for this ringroad took place well before the population explosion that has taken place the last 3.5 years. It just seems every artery is experiencing traffic nightmares.
    Yes, I distinctly remember hearing that the population growth in the SW was not anticipated by the city nor the province, hence why the interchanges between the Yellowhead and Terwillegar were fast-tracked.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

How could the city not anticipate it, they are the ones that produce the area structure plans long before any fields are dug up for roads and sewers. While the city doesn't know how quickly property will be purchased or developed for the most part they know where everything will tend to be when it is finally built.

Anyways, yup AHD SW needs a 3rd lane from QE2 to Whitemud now not 10 years down the road, if you live in the area when Mandel comes door knocking or at public forums be sure to mention this to him.

The Henday SW was planned before 2004. Before stuff starting going bananas around here in 2005-2007, 2011-current.

Fine, however the city has area structure plans that cover to the various borders. This is a similar problem to South Edmonton Common, you allow development of the land but don't increase the ability for people to get there.

Can you predict a global economic stall that decimated the Ontario economy which drove a major migration from that province to ours. The people that planned this road rely on stats that had different numbers than what has happened the last 3.5 yrs. Did any of us know or were prepared for this influx? Remember, the preparation for this ringroad occurred 3 decades ago- there may have been adjustments during that period as well. This type of developement was not planned yesterday and finished today to welcome this influx. It was planned to incorporate natural organic growth as a whole.

No but the city does approve various building permits, so at the time of approving a certain number of construction permits you do also quick re-evaluation of the infrastructure around the project, not something that is done 5 years after the fact.

If you operate under those line, things will never get to the starting block.

You all make valid arguements about the lack of foresight and such in planning this 10 years ago. I mean, really, this stretch of road is to 1970's standards. I believe part of the problem was that it was subbed out via the P3 model and was done to minimum standards. And in fact, the same thing happened in Calgary with there whole northern stretch I believe.

What pisses me off is that the NW Stoney got the widening almost immediately after- even though our road needed it more. Even looking at the quality of the work done on each road, one can clearly see they spared no expense sprucing up the NW Stoney, while our SW stretch literally looks Third World.

Obviously it's Calgarian politicians calling the shots. But we need to be more vocal as Edmontonians and demand our fair share.

SW Henday was NOT built via P3. The rest of the Henday is P3.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Perhaps the population growth wasn't anticipated. Regardless, if the overpasses were shovel-ready in 2009 to take advantage of stimulus funds, certainly the widening is shovel-ready and could begin in 2015 with proper provincial leadership.
    Knife

The fact that the growth wasn't anticipated can be plainly seen in what was constructed.

Here is a travel survey report that was compiled in June of 2006 based on data from 2005. By then, they knew (or should have known!) there was a problem, but the NE burbs were also growing quickly. I'm guessing that they needed to devote their resources to completing the NE quadrant before addressing capacity issues elsewhere.

From page 9 of the report:
    Within Edmonton, the highest population increases have occurred in suburban areas with the northeast and southwest suburbs (sectors 10 and 12) showing the highest amounts of growth, both in absolute and percentage terms.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio..._06_FINAL).pdf
    Last edited by lat; 23-10-2014 at 10:29 AM.

There are suffice real estate for additions. The thing is, AD is not isolated with this delima. Whitemud and Yellowhead are just as intense with traffic.

The difference is however Yellowhead was very much shoehorned into an existing corridor, Whitemud to a lesser extent, AHD is in a fairly new reserved corridor with plenty of room.

Regardless, AHD does need an additional lane from QE2 to Whitemud, it is routinely jammed up bumper to bumper every rush hour with quite a few accidents that seem almost daily.

^ probably will happen, but I think other provincial highway projects are likely higher priorities at this point: Hwy 63 twinning, completing AHD NE and completing Stoney SW.

Good thing more than one project can occur at a time

^ Yep, but labour, materials and $ are not limitless... At some point, priorities have to be determined...

You hit a very poignant view here that many have forgotten or don't see. If folks here thought AD is ill planned, i wish you could have seen Ft.Mac's road system a few years ago.

It pisses me off to no end that they missed the bus on forecasting the growth that Edmonton has seen, but as it stands now, I'm afraid we may have to wait until the next bus comes along. Hopefully this by-election will speed things up. I guess we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    You hit a very poignant view here that many have forgotten or don't see. If folks here thought AD is ill planned, i wish you could have seen Ft.Mac's road system a few years ago.
    Or that the West and Southwest sections of the Calgary Ring Road are as of yet not even budgeted for let alone tendered. Or that Deerfoot Trail is a parking lot for hours at a time during peak periods.

Not to belittle SW AHD traffic congestion, but a number of other municipalities are experiencing similar or worse traffic challenges.

^I think the frustration is that we have examples of how roads don't work and should have learned some lessons. Instead, we built an entirely insufficient road, then spent a ton of money making it less insufficient, but still not even to the level it should have been from day 1.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

every point of view expounded so far equates into the full solution in a hypathetical scenario, but the truth is, in reality, there are multitude tangents that arises in any situation and no one-fits-all solution can accommodate that. On the positive side of it, we're in a very properous times going through this inconvenience rather than a recession with the same problem. Could thing improve? Yes! What has been done is done and we can't reverse that, so being angry is just simply wasting our energy.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I have a feeling opening up of Ellerslie by 141 street will help as it will create an alternative route to and from the super growing Windermere area. Nov 20th I hear it will be open.

Yeah the various closures over the past 2 years have added to the existing bottleneck situation

Ellerslie at that location will be closed again next year to finish.

I asked Alberta Transporation about their plans to address the congestion...

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your comments and concerns regarding traffic flow issues on southwest Anthony Henday Drive. I understand your concerns and Alberta Transportation is aware of the traffic congestion that is occurring during peak traffic hours.

I can assure you that keeping traffic flowing safely on Anthony Henday Drive is a high priority for Alberta Transportation. The department is currently undertaking an operational review of this section of highway. Completing this review will help to assure a future project delivers the required improvements. Fortunately this roadway has been planned to accommodate an additional 2 lanes in each direction.

The improvement you are requesting are subject to available funding and competing provincial priorities, and not currently included in the department’s three year construction program.

Again thank-you for sharing your concerns, your input is valued and appreciated. Should you wish to discuss this matter further you can do so my email or by phone at 780-963-5711; toll-free by first dialing 310-0000

Regards

Neal Reynolds
    Operations Manager
    Stony Plain

If people in this city knew how to merge, it wouldn't be half the clusterf44k it is now. Yes, you should try to match the speed of traffic you are merging into. Yes, you have to let someone merge in front of you.

^the volume of traffic entering that stretch of 2 lane road is way over the designed capacity.

111st north and south. Westbound henday. qe2 North and south! All going into 2 roads! (The turn offs). Those are some of the highest volume roads in the city

Wtf which ***** thought this was a good idea
    be offended! figure out why later...

^ Not to mention Ellerslie Road itself west of 119th. It's still the two-lane country road it's always been. The four-way stop at Ellerslie and 127th is a nightmare at the busiest times of day, with westbound traffic backed up from 127th all the way back to Ellerslie Corner. As I was leaving earlier this week, I note that traffic lights were being installed at Ellerslie and 127th.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ Not to mention Ellerslie Road itself west of 119th. It's still the two-lane country road it's always been. The four-way stop at Ellerslie and 127th is a nightmare at the busiest times of day, with westbound traffic backed up from 127th all the way back to Ellerslie Corner. As I was leaving earlier this week, I note that traffic lights were being installed at Ellerslie and 127th.
    Just to think, not that long ago, there was just stop signs along 127st only. So trying to cross Ellerslie at peak times took forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I asked Alberta Transporation about their plans to address the congestion...

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your comments and concerns regarding traffic flow issues on southwest Anthony Henday Drive. I understand your concerns and Alberta Transportation is aware of the traffic congestion that is occurring during peak traffic hours.

I can assure you that keeping traffic flowing safely on Anthony Henday Drive is a high priority for Alberta Transportation. The department is currently undertaking an operational review of this section of highway. Completing this review will help to assure a future project delivers the required improvements. Fortunately this roadway has been planned to accommodate an additional 2 lanes in each direction.
    The improvement you are requesting are subject to available funding and competing provincial priorities, and [B]not currently included in the department’s three year construction program[/
    Again thank-you for sharing your concerns, your input is valued and appreciated. Should you wish to discuss this matter further you can do so my email or by phone at 780-963-5711; toll-free by first dialing 310-0000

Regards

Neal Reynolds
    Operations Manager
    Stony Plain
    Thanks. We hear ya. We know all about it. Call us back in 4 years to discuss further. Geez

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    Just to think, not that long ago, there was just stop signs along 127st only. So trying to cross Ellerslie at peak times took forever.
    The biggest problem with the four-way stop has been, you guessed it, incompetent use. People in too much of a hurry, and the ditherers - nice combination. As I left earlier this week, temporary traffic lights were being installed at Ellerslie and 127th. Well overdue, and probably a better percentage of drivers who know what red and green mean.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

People doing a proper zipper merge will help, the province putting a minimum speed limit on the left lane will help as well.

I love how they word it ...
    ...is a high priority ... not currently included in the department’s three year construction program
    So he said a high priority can wait 4 or more years, I guess you get what you elect.

But the SW portion need a 3rd lane from QE2 to Yellowhead in portions where it doesn't have one now.

Ya, that bugged me too. It's an unfunded, unscheduled, high priority. Right.

All they need to do is add a third westbound lane from gateway to terwillegar, doesnt seem like it would break the bank. If its the creek crossing at whitemud that could pose a problem, then just extend the lane until there.

I dont think the creek crossing is an issue. They planned this to be easily expanded for 3-5 lanes per direction in parts

The Blackmud Creek crossing could be wide enough if the on ramp from 111 Street is shortened.

Both the river crossing and the Wedgewood Ravine crossings have supports that were designed for future widenings.

Actually its not just Gateway to Terwillegar the portion from north of the river to Whitemud needs it now too. It every morning crawls NB from Cameron Heights to 87th Avenue, on a good day (they are happening less frequently now) it is only jammed up from Lessard to Whitemud.

C2E SME

Unfortunately due to more and more people coming to the city the roads that were going to last a few years before needing expansion need the expansion now.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

In the Netherlands some of the main highways allow use of the shoulder lanes during peak hours. Complete with electronic signage. Maybe that could be a stop gap solution.

they expanded NW stoney trail only after a few years of being open, meaning they must've shifted money towards it. Won't this leg of the henday be 10 years old soon? seems about time to expand it seeing how it backs up every single day

There was some widening done on the West Anthony Henday as well, so it's not like they've totally ignored this road.

There was some widening done on the West Anthony Henday as well, so it's not like they've totally ignored this road.
    Only thing they've done, is made the on ramp and off ramps share the same lane for Callingwood Rd/62 Ave to Whitemud on both North and South sections. This what you're referring to?

No. I'm referring to the extra lanes added between Whitemud and Stony Plain Road. As well as the extra lane added between Callingwood and Wedgewood creek south bound, and from Lessard Road to Callingwood north bound.

Silly question, but why is the SW portion of the Henday (Lessard to Rabbit Hill Road) not surfaced like normal roads?

Is it suppose to be more durable? If so, why not do this for more roads?

Concrete lasts decades longer than asphalt with less potholes. However it costs more to install and frost can heave the panel unevenly. But the panels can be jacked or ground and then new pins installed to keep the panel connected to the adjacent panels.

Edmonton's experiments with concrete roads have been fairly unsuccessful in the past, Argyll Road under the railway tracks was notorious for uneven concrete, which is why it was resurfaced with asphalt.

The SW portion was cement in part so it could be grooved - to provide more traction going across the river valley up/down hills.

I thought they used cement because it was cheaper than asphalt at the time it was being built.

Prices can vary depending on the price of oil. But typically concrete does cost more for the construction. The P3 made the choice for concrete because the lifespan, the initial contract was for 30 years which the contractor has to maintain the highway, however it has been extended when AHD SE was built.
    http://www.pwmag.com/bridges/asphalt...-concrete.aspx

When done properly concrete works great, like Yellowhead westbound between 124 St and 127 St. Has been there for 20 plus years.

No. I'm referring to the extra lanes added between Whitemud and Stony Plain Road. As well as the extra lane added between Callingwood and Wedgewood creek south bound, and from Lessard Road to Callingwood north bound.
    ^ I can confirm this
    Oh, I was just looking at more the SW section of the road, and not the west part. Basically from Whitemud south to Gateway/Calgary Trail. Since this portion was opened in I think 2006 (overpasses at Cameron Heights, Lessard, and Callingwood) aside, there has been basically no additional lanes put in, even though it was one of the first sections of the ring roads in both Calgary and Edmonton to be opened.

When they installed the overpasses at Stony Plain Rd, Yellowhead, and 87 Ave, I had just lumped it into a whole new rebuild of that road, rather than adding additional lanes, even though it did go from 2 -> 3 from 87th Ave and past Yellowhead.

The SW portion was cement in part so it could be grooved - to provide more traction going across the river valley up/down hills.
    Must be why they've just put a stretch of smooth new asphalt on bridge over the river.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I recall that the concrete surfacing was placed as a long term test of the technology for Alberta highways. Concrete is widely used for roadways in other jurisdictions, but a test using our weather and soil conditions is prudent before embracing it wholeheartedly.

^ I'm sure you're right about that.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

From what a friend @ PCL told me, the concrete on SW Henday has been a huge failure for a variety of reasons, hence why other sections haven't been concrete. It's needed far more maintenance than anticipated, road noise is much louder, and so on.

The road was built to accommodate two more lanes in each direction and the 40,000-vehicle threshold was supposed to trigger second-stage widening. Some sections of the southwest Henday now see 70,000 vehicles per day. It is well past time to move forward.

“We are now looking at which sections on the southwest would be priorities for adding lanes, whether it would be the whole section or specific sections between interchanges that we’d do first,” said van der Meer.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/insi...res-up-drivers

Interesting article. A bit confusing near the end though where they talk about the concrete used.

First he says "We don’t plan to go forward with it anywhere else," and then at the end of the article he says "I’d say it’s proving out to ultimately save us money.". I get that some of the concrete had to be replaced and/or fixed early on, but if it still saves money in the long run...?

Also the article says "It was the first such extensive use of concrete paving in Alberta, and quite likely the last", but I thought the Deerfoot Trail in Calgary was also made of concrete. Not so?

I'm thinking 17th ave to Glenmore is concrete

^was concrete. I thought they ripped it up and paved it with asphalt only a couple years ago. I could be wrong though.

If they had built one more lane in the first place, maybe the traffic congestion from the early fixes wouldn't have occurred - and they'd still be able to use concrete.

Moreover, new discoveries on concrete making are changing the economics of it too so I wouldn't be surprised if concrete becomes even more the material of choice.

Researchers discover secret recipe of Roman concrete that allowed it to endure for over 2,000 year

The ancient Romans’ buildings and structures, some of the most spectacular in the world, have withstood chemical and physical onslaught for 2,000 years and are still standing.

Previous research has already found that Roman concrete was far superior to our own modern concrete, which is made to endure about 120 years

It isn’t just that Roman concrete is more lasting. It is also not as bad for the environment in the manufacturing of it because the mix only needed to be heated to 900 Celsius as opposed to the 1,450 of modern concrete.

“Stronger, longer-lasting modern concrete, made with less fuel and less release of carbon into the atmosphere, may be the legacy of a deeper understanding of how the Romans made their incomparable concrete,” Ancient-Origins.net wrote in 2013. Heating the limestone in 19 billion tons of Portland cement made annually accounts for 7 percent of human-released carbon into the atmosphere, according to the new study.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-...oncrete-020141
    Last edited by KC; 27-09-2015 at 09:43 AM.

That article from the journal is rage inducing.

The guy says they are looking for which sections would need widening before they go forward. How about the ******* section that is backed up every single day because three of the highest volume roads in the city all merge onto it!!!!!!!

Also even if the didn't anticipate the growth (any ***** knew back then that growth would be in the southwest mostly) traffic lights on a ring road highway is still a dumb ******* idea.

Also this quote:
    “Personally, that makes me feel it’s a pretty successful road because everybody wants to be on it. That’s the road of choice, I suppose.
    Is this guy an *****? What am I even reading.

EPRT is going to have a field day with this one.

At least they're looking at it. Hopefully they expand the entire SW section.

I'll continue my desperate plea for the province to donate a few $B so the city can build a N/S freeflow corrider, using tunnels if need be. We need that a lot more than more ringroad. You effectively have to leave the city, circumvent it, and drive back in to get anywhere, which is a terrible environmental proposition.

About half of Deerfoot Trail still is concrete, although it is covered now with asphalt. The other portion was only asphalt. In spots you can tell because the asphalt sometimes cracks at the same spots the concrete underneath does.

C2E Posting Power

Surprised no one mentioned the 3rd lane being added to this stretch....

C2E SME

I think the toughest part of widening SW Henday could be The Whitemud Creek bridge.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    It's not. It's unfunded.

Is there a commitment finally to add a 3rd lane? Details?

C2E Posting Power

It's not. It's unfunded.
    Oh? It was in this years capex spending.... Don't see it? Or am I seeing things

It's listed in a new section of the report called "Unfunded Capital Projects" on page 53.

Capital Spending Plan

Copying my post from another thread as this is the proper one for it:

Not sure how Anthony Henday SW is getting ignored. If the QEII in Red deer gets a third lane at the volume levels its at, SW Henday should be getting a 4 lane by now, and not the 2 lanes it currently has.

Hwy 2 AADT at Red Deer is around 40,000
    SW on Henday is above 80,000

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...02006-2015.pdf

Time to write an email I suppose.

C2E Posting Power

Copying my post from another thread as this is the proper one for it:

Not sure how Anthony Henday SW is getting ignored. If the QEII in Red deer gets a third lane at the volume levels its at, SW Henday should be getting a 4 lane by now, and not the 2 lanes it currently has.

Hwy 2 AADT at Red Deer is around 40,000
    SW on Henday is above 80,000

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...02006-2015.pdf

I

Time to write an email I suppose.

I'll ask my buddy about this....a heavy hitter with AB roads....just spreading the "wealth."

C2E SME

I think AHD SW will have a little relief once the NE leg is done. Motorists will have two options to get around Edmonton.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I doubt the NE section has any affect on the SW - it might even add more traffic if anything

I'm guessing NE will reduce traffic on the SW portion (somewhat but you'll never notice it), cars traveling to and from Highway 14 and St. Albert might consider taking the east and north legs rather than the south and west legs.

I live almost dead centre of the southern loop of AHD and there's no way I'd take the eastern half (when completed) if I'm going to St. Albert. If I'm aiming at Hwy. 28 north, then east or west loop makes no difference.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I live almost dead centre of the southern loop of AHD and there's no way I'd take the eastern half (when completed) if I'm going to St. Albert. If I'm aiming at Hwy. 28 north, then east or west loop makes no difference.
    Except the east loop to get to highway 28 would be the best. More lanes and no concrete road surface that puts timmys cups through the spill test paces.

Just as well I'm not a Timmys kinda guy, then.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Only those currently using ramps from 97th to Manning would consider using the East leg.

Only those currently using ramps from 97th to Manning would consider using the East leg.
    I also imagine people coming basically anywhere north of the Whitemud in the east (ie Sherwood Park) would also use the NE leg for points further west

Just as well I'm not a Timmys kinda guy, then.
    So you are not a Canadian ?? jk

Not by birth. I just think there's better coffee around than TH's.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast