Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,160 of 1160

Thread: Cycling Infrastructure | Discussion

The first blocks of the 105 ave route are now open, from 105 to 109 streets. Other than the "cyclist dismount" signs for the detour around a sewer line pit at 107st where the detour is wider than the High level bridge path it's not bad. Lots of bikes on it already - probably as many bikes as cars for much of the day.
    There can only be one.

Took the whole grid on Saturday for the bike party to all 5 pit stops. Very well organized, had a great time exploring the grid.

City will have to work on transition from bike lanes on 105 avenue to MacEwan LRT to 101 St. where it becomes a shared used path/sidewalk on the north side of 104 avenue. Even I was confused. Lots of signage, just need a few more arrows.
    www.decl.org

In the long run there will have to be changes at macEwan Station, the track crossing is far too narrow, and the route has some pinch points that aren't really safe and will get worse as bike traffic increases and LRT frequency and use go up.

There's enough traffic for a separate path, just like there's enough foot traffic for a proper sidewalk west of 109st. Much Better than nothing, but looking forward to he next step none the less.
    There can only be one.

City bike route map. It's amazing to me how many gaps there are. Castle Downs, for example, has a number of routes just a few blocks separated from each other. There's many, many more like that.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ikeMap2017.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Is there any kind of bike trail that connects Mill Woods to the rest of SE Edmonton? I don't see any on 50 Street or 75 Street.

I don't know that there are any good routes anywhere. The gaps are right in those places where infrastructure is needed most. It's coming, though.
    There can only be one.

Are these places not connected by roads and sidewalks?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Usually, but for the vast majority of us a 60km/hr roadway, or even a 50km/hr arterial isn't an option on a bike. for someone without a car it might as well not exist.

Sidewalks, besides the legal issues, don't exist everywhere either, especially through older industrial areas where there often aren't any reasonable side-road routes.
    There can only be one.

Ah yes, industrial, I don't even like driving my car through those places full of big Bubba wagons.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Good numbers, none the less. Thanks, Ian.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

www.decl.org

C2E SME

I wonder if the bike paths will be busier with school back on.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Absolutely they should be. There has been a big push to ensure that post-secondary students know of them and use them.
    www.decl.org

Love it all. Good posts.

www.decl.org

Is anyone shocked that this bit of gold is from a SUN writer?
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/09/0...little-of-that

So far, $8 million has been spent by the city on downtown bike lanes.

With apologies to Sir Winston Churchill: Never has so much been spent, on so few, for so little in return.

Here’s a cost-recovery suggestion. Impose a $10 a year municipal licence fee on ALL bicycles to cover the cost of bike lanes — including the bike in your garage you ride once a year. Imagine the squawk!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

$8 million for 7.8 km of dedicated, separated bike infrastructure, which includes new traffic signals and other improvements and beautifications to an urban core. I think we all know how taxes and fees work to pay for such infrastructure on this forum.

Reminder, more than 50% of said $8mil is for a new signalling system that was desperately needed for ALL types of vehicles.

The fact that we are even debating the need/desire/importance of more modal options, especially low-cost, healthy, no-carbon ones is amazing. We are the last major city in Canada to have this people, come on now.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I wonder if the Sun would have preferred taxi lanes instead.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Reminder, more than 50% of said $8mil is for a new signalling system that was desperately needed for ALL types of vehicles.

The fact that we are even debating the need/desire/importance of more modal options, especially low-cost, healthy, no-carbon ones is amazing. We are the last major city in Canada to have this people, come on now.
    Not really a bike lane issue per se, just the typical public infrastructure costing absurd amounts of money. Just like the 150k quote for a staircase in Toronto that some private citizen built for $500. How much money should it really cost to paint a bike lane? $4 million?

^Not just paint. Hence $$

There also needs to be some context when people complain about this 7.5 million dollars. I believe Edmonton recently committed to spending 400 million dollars ($20 million a year for 20 years) to pave alleys!!!!!! The world is changing but we have to realize that a great many dinosaurs live in Edmonton - there's a reason we are the last major city in Canada to move ahead with some kind of bicycle infrastructure. It is needed in this city and hopefully it will get built over the next few years. We'll never be the Netherlands but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have some bicycle infrastructure that is connected and allows cyclists to get around the city.

^Paint, plastic bollards, concrete blocks and some potted plants. That's not $4 million bucks. It's the consultants and experts and 10 painters, 100 painter supervisors, 200 people to hold signs up so painters don't get run over, etc....

So how is that downtown segment doing anyway? Are there traffic counts?

I know the 102 Ave segment is stalled and collecting leaves because of the stretch between 121 and 124 St. that's just today seeing pavement punched for tear-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Is anyone shocked that this bit of gold is from a SUN writer?
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/09/0...little-of-that

So far, $8 million has been spent by the city on downtown bike lanes.

With apologies to Sir Winston Churchill: Never has so much been spent, on so few, for so little in return.

Here’s a cost-recovery suggestion. Impose a $10 a year municipal licence fee on ALL bicycles to cover the cost of bike lanes — including the bike in your garage you ride once a year. Imagine the squawk!
    As long as they also allow the city to impose a tax on every motor vehicle for the cost of road upgrades & expansion and maintenance as well. Imagine the squawk!

I had a chance to check out the newly upgraded 127 St. bike path last night (it is very close to being opened). It looks great and should provide a really nice North-South route in the Westmount area. However, it needs better linkages with East-West routes to the downtown bike network in my opinion. I hope the city moves quickly in tying the new bike lanes together to create a more cohesive network. It would require very little work in some cases. It's really a matter of providing safer intersection crossings and filling in some gaps in a few places.

For example, I think it would be relatively easy to upgrade 105 Ave. from 127 St. to the shared use path behind the Brewery District and this would provide a continuous route all the way to MacEwan and the Ice District from Westmount. There needs to be a better crossing at 124 St. and the rest of the route could easily accommodate a physically separated bike lane or traffic calming like the 83rd Ave. section East of 99 St. in Strathcona.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts after cycling from Oliver to North Glenora last night. I would like to hear other people's suggestions for improving the bike network. The network has come a long way in the last couple of years and I think with a few upgrades it could really attract a lot more people that want to cycle but currently don't feel comfortable doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    So how is that downtown segment doing anyway? Are there traffic counts?

I know the 102 Ave segment is stalled and collecting leaves because of the stretch between 121 and 124 St. that's just today seeing pavement punched for tear-out.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why that 121 to High Street section is taking so long. I know there was some utility work that needed to be completed before they could do construction there so maybe they are still waiting for that work to be completed. I hope to see work on it soon. I think the completion of the 102 Ave. bike route will provide a significant boost in ridership on the downtown bike network.

It may be done in time for winter so it can sit largely unused for the next 6 months. Like Paul Kane Park.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I had a chance to check out the newly upgraded 127 St. bike path last night (it is very close to being opened). It looks great and should provide a really nice North-South route in the Westmount area. However, it needs better linkages with East-West routes to the downtown bike network in my opinion. I hope the city moves quickly in tying the new bike lanes together to create a more cohesive network. It would require very little work in some cases. It's really a matter of providing safer intersection crossings and filling in some gaps in a few places.

For example, I think it would be relatively easy to upgrade 105 Ave. from 127 St. to the shared use path behind the Brewery District and this would provide a continuous route all the way to MacEwan and the Ice District from Westmount. There needs to be a better crossing at 124 St. and the rest of the route could easily accommodate a physically separated bike lane or traffic calming like the 83rd Ave. section East of 99 St. in Strathcona.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts after cycling from Oliver to North Glenora last night. I would like to hear other people's suggestions for improving the bike network. The network has come a long way in the last couple of years and I think with a few upgrades it could really attract a lot more people that want to cycle but currently don't feel comfortable doing so.
    100% agree on the 127 Street bike lane. I haven't used it since the upgrade but I usually commute along there all summer so I am very familiar with the route. The 124 Street crossing is by far the worst part of the commute, there is just no intuitive way to go and absolutely zero bicycle priority. I pretty much just have to wait for a gap in traffic (good luck in rush hour).

Also, are they changing the signal timing along 127 Street to accommodate bicycle speeds instead? I usually find that I am hitting almost every red light because the signals are timed for motor vehicles not bikes.

Any idea what the hold-up is with the bike lane on 102 Ave in Oliver? The work looks finished but the barricades are still up.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The road and lane between 121 Street and 124 Street isn't done yet. It got some underground upgrades that meant the whole stretch from 111 Street has been closed until it's done.

Oddly, general traffic lanes on 102ave remain open east of 121st.
    There can only be one.

Well, lane - they're all one-way now.

The reconstructed 127 St. bike lane is now open. With a few improvements connecting it to the downtown grid via 105 Ave, this could really improve cycling in Westmount.

Administrator *

^ Maybe put a bike lane on 106 Avenue between 127 Street and the path behind The Brewery District?

Also, they should extend the separated bike lanes on 105 Ave from 116 St to 117 St. Right now, if you are biking eastbound along 105 Avenue by the cemetery, you follow the SUP on the north side of the street to 117 Street. Then, I guess you would cross over to the south side of the avenue for one block, then at 116 Street, back to the north side.

From COE OPS, bike lanes will be endeavoured to be cleared within 24hrs of a snowfall.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

And the snow and ice will become windrows in the car traffic lanes.

I had an extremely annoying experience today on the downtown bike lanes at 100 Ave and 109 St. I'm waiting at the red light eastbound on 100 Ave and notice 3 cars opposite me in the right turn lane. I know these cars have a double red light and can only turn when they get a green arrow. Also sitting at the red light eastbound beside me is a Police car. The light changes and we get the green light (regular light and bicycle light). I've hardly moved when the first car opposite makes a right turn through the double red. I'm not quite halfway through the intersection when the second car turns in front of me - his window was down so I yelled "you went through a red light" at him. The third car saw me and stopped to let me by and immediately turned behind me despite me pointing to the red light. At this point, I looked to my right and the Policeman in the Cop Car is looking at me but immediately looks straight ahead and then carries on eastbound on 100th Ave.

I know enforcement around the bike lanes downtown doesn't have much of a priority, but people have got to start paying attention to what is directly in front of them. How do you miss signs indicating "No Right Turn on Red" along with the Double Red lights? I cannot get over how incredibly bad the average driver is. Mind you, if one of them hit me and killed me, all he'd get is a fine so why bother learning the rules and paying attention.

I like the bike lanes downtown but as usual, cyclists need to be alert and driving very defensively at all times. Illegal left turns on double reds are also a problem as are people coming out of parking lots turning right. Many people turning right, never look at all to the right for Peds or Bikes - just left. I've noticed this many times when trying to make eye contact with the driver but of course you can't do it if they never look your way.

The shared bicycle/pedestrian path on 105 avenue from 116 street to 109th st is now open. No activity at lunch, but it was windy as hell yesterday, and I'm sure people will be using it at the end of the work day. I've seen pedestrians and cyclists both using it even before it was open, since there was never a sidewalk along 105 avenue in that stretch, and even the small bollard and pylons is better then the nothing that was there before.

From 2017-10-25:

I'll have to bike by one day to confirm it, but I think you can go from where the bike lane ends on 119 st and 105 avenue to the shared use trail that runs behind Oliver Square and the Brewery district. You can then use this trail to get to 106 avenue. To link the downtown bike trail system to the 127 st, we just need to mark the sidewalk on 106 avenue as a shared use path from 121 st to 127 st, and add a lit crosswalk at 124 st. You could take a bike path all the way from Grant Mac LRT station this way.

The 102 Avenue segment from 111 Street to 124 st. seems to be crawling to completion. All that seems to be left is striping, ongoing yesterday, and signage. I hope it will eventually be worth all the fuss.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't think there's been any point since it was "opened" that the section on 102 avenue between 109 and 103/4 streets has been open the whole way. It's been closed for months between 107/108, and other parts have been blocked off temporarily for periods of time as well. Not sure if it's related to utility work for the Valley line or what exactly. And yeah, it's amazing to me that it takes the better part of 3 months to reconfigure the section from 111 to 124, during most of which Westbound bikers literally had to either ride the wrong way on the now one way 102 avenue, or ride on the sidewalk, because they thoughtfully left barricades every 50 feet for weeks in the bike lane after the paving/curbing was done but prior to painting/signage.

I hear the 102 Ave bike lanes in Oliver are now finally open

Stellar timing.

That calcium chloride brine is certainly working nicely. Also, there are multiple new 'pilot' planters that have 4 bike racks built into them, like this one outside of Monument Cafe on Jasper/108st.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

That calcium chloride brine is certainly working nicely. Also, there are multiple new 'pilot' planters that have 4 bike racks built into them, like this one outside of Monument Cafe on Jasper/108st.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    That planter is a neat idea. I like the pop of colour and use of coniferous. A little green goes a long way.

That red pot shows we can still have gardens in winter. I want to see more of these please!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

How does one lock a bike to that planter?

Is anyone using those million-buck bike lanes?

That calcium chloride brine is certainly working nicely.
    I saw them spraying that on 83 Ave the other day. Are there any known downsides to the brine?

Spudly - the 83 Ave bike lane is used all the time. Theres a definite drop off from the summer months, but I'll regularly see cyclists cruising by when I'm looking outside, or out for a walk.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

OK, understandable - the University has a lot of bike users. How about the 102 Ave stretch? I see nothing but emptiness on that stretch, and drivers confused that 102 Ave is now one-way.

No idea, I don't live anywhere near the 102 Ave stretch. The thing about the 83 Ave route is that right now it doesn't even go to the U of A, it only goes as far as 106 st. I see it used throughout the day, from morning until night (yup, even after dark).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

102 avenue is still two way east of 109. Definitely not many bikers on it these days, but still the occasional one.

It's one-way eastbound west of 111 Street to 124 Street.

How does one lock a bike to that planter?

Insert wheel, lock to metal ring. These are in highly visible locations, likely outside of where you will be. If you want something more secure there are also traditional ones around the corner.

Actually, yes. Also, investments require money.
    www.decl.org

Got data on that? Data that people can see?

Of course.

Just look at all the cyclists !

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Of course.

Just look at all the cyclists !

Good thing there is a 3 lane road and curb parking for the hoard of cars on the road in this picture too...

Got data on that? Data that people can see?
    The City has 13 data collection points and will be presenting it next year. Data is important and from what I have seen thus far, certainly supporting the investment.
    www.decl.org

donm't see a lot of use of the 102 Ave bike lane, but in fairrer weather it is quite heavily used.

Overall, more impressed than I expected to be.
    ... gobsmacked

If only everybody who said "I never see anybody on the bike lanes" realized that it's a wide open, zero traffic alternative and got on a bike every once in a while.

Seriously considering hauling my bike downtown just to cruise around for a few hours on my next day off with a sign that says "YOU ARE SEEING SOMEONE USING THE BIKE LANES"

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112