Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,278 of 1278

Thread: Cycling Infrastructure | Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    100% of the bike lanes cleared this AM before the morning commute, nicely done!
    Very nice!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

No objection to clearing bike lanes, but you should know meanwhile hundreds of people were stuck in situations like this:

(Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...erta-1.4505247)

They're not related. Different equipment, different crews, different budget.
    www.decl.org

It looks like there's an accident on the up hill, then traffic is flowing much better.
    It's not all that likely that an extra pass with a snow plow would have helped. People who drive to fast for really bad conditions would most likely be driving to fast for slightly better conditions too, and causing the same kind of problems.

What would really help is if a few more people would carpool in these kind of conditions. 10% fewer cars on the road on these days would make a world of difference in locations that don't have an accident blocking lanes.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    They're not related. Different equipment, different crews, different budget.
    Except that it's all the CoE in the end, so this is really an attempt to deflect cricitism with semantics.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^I was out from Downtown to Kingsway at around 11:30 this morning. Only road that had been plowed at all was Kingsway. Safe to say it's gonna take a while for snow crews to get at any roads, let along the one shown above.
    www.decl.org

Crazy how a little snow creates a conversation about evil bike lanes.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I heard that the city had over 120 pieces of road clearing equipment deployed this morning. If you think that the handful of machines clearing bike lanes were the difference maker for traffic backups you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Crazy how a little snow creates a conversation about evil bike lanes.
    I don't think bike lanes are evil, but the CoE Administration's overemphasis & fixation on them has had some definite impacts on snow removal & trumpeting their accomplishment at clearing them while the roads get worse-than-usual-and-that's-saying-something levels of service is tone deaf & not helping sell their message to the vast majority of Edmontonians who'll never, ever, ever be able to (much less willing to) commute via bike.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It looks like there's an accident on the up hill, then traffic is flowing much better.
    It's not all that likely that an extra pass with a snow plow would have helped. People who drive to fast for really bad conditions would most likely be driving to fast for slightly better conditions too, and causing the same kind of problems.

What would really help is if a few more people would carpool in these kind of conditions. 10% fewer cars on the road on these days would make a world of difference in locations that don't have an accident blocking lanes.
    No accident, just people stuck unable to get up the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    A colossal waste of money. Roads abysmal for vehicles and this kind of nonsense takes place.
    The vehicles I've seen clearing the bike lanes aren't the same kind that are used for clearing the roads. It's a bit like whining that traffic police are pulling over speeders instead of solving murders; they're two different things.

Also, in my walk along the 83 Ave bike lane this morning there were a surprising number of cyclists that passed me (roughly 9-10 over 4 blocks). People are definitely out there riding, even in snowy weather.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Snow tires.

I think practically speaking we should designate bike paths multi-use trails if the sidewalk is inaccessible;
    people did that in Ottawa when the sidewalks were impassable. The trail along 105 avenue between 116 st and 109 st is already a multi-use trail, since there was never a sidewalk there, and I see people using it more the cyclists in the winter. We don't want to excuse homeowners and businesses the responsibility of clearing their sidewalks, but practically we know it doesn't always get done. There might be more acceptance of the bike trails if they were considered an always clear pedestrian winter highway. I doubt the city will ticket a pedestrian in the trail anyways, and a few pedestrians won't impeded cyclists in the winter. The trick would be getting pedestrians off of the trails in the summer, but I imagine most would rather be on the sidewalk in the eventuality, anyways.

C2E Long Term Contributor

https://twitter.com/tylergolly/statu...53860118290434
    Tyler Golly‏ @tylergolly

Heavy use of the #yegbikegrid today. It is so great to see the impact this inexpensive and rapidly implemented transformation has made on #Edmonton for residents and visitors.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Tyler Golly‏ @tylergolly

Heavy use of the #yegbikegrid today. It is so great to see the impact this inexpensive and rapidly implemented transformation has made on #Edmonton for residents and visitors.

That photo was not taken today (was posted Jan 25--presumably taken on or before that date).

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    No objection to clearing bike lanes, but you should know meanwhile hundreds of people were stuck in situations like this:

(Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...erta-1.4505247)
    Concur in full. Roads were abysmal this AM and not acceptable on major routes.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by East McCauley; 26-01-2018 at 02:13 PM.

^^Alternatively, this photo could be labelled 'City of Edmonton staff stage photo-op.'

Don't get me wrong. I support the Downtown bike grid network. For the most part, the grid was well executed and located on streets and avenues where there is no undue interference with other traffic.

But I also have two good eyes. I walk along 106 Street and 102 Avenue during the morning and afternoon rush hour as well as during the lunch hour pretty much every week day. Most days this winter I don't see any cyclists along these stretches. Other days, maybe a cyclist or two. But four in tandem staged to look as if this is a typical occurrence during Edmonton winters. Give me a break.

There's far more traffic on 102 ave than on 106st. This is almost certainly the afternoon rush yesterday, when a few bikes at a light isn't uncommon.

I've been one of 3-4 at a light a few times this winter and I'm rarely travelling at the peak of rush hour.
    There can only be one.

Will definitely have more counts as this becomes more of a common piece of infrastructure. When the real numbers come in when people adjust, but if I recall this pilot's timeframe is short and ends at the end of this summer?

2yr pilot. Looking forward to year 1 numbers in June/July.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Tyler Golly‏ @tylergolly

That photo was not taken today (was posted Jan 25--presumably taken on or before that date).
    I am undone. Damn you DECL for retweeting an old tweet!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

www.decl.org

Hopefully they will have lots of mental health professionals in attendance offering free psychiatric assessments.

Isn't the High Level Bridge in the NW quadrant? What does the SW refer to?

Likely on the west side of the south end of the bridge?

Outstanding !

That'll be an excellent kick-off to Top_Dawg's stellar weekend.

On February 11 there's the Free Expression Party.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...nce-party.html

Top_Dawg's gonna be spent come Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I heard that the city had over 120 pieces of road clearing equipment deployed this morning. If you think that the handful of machines clearing bike lanes were the difference maker for traffic backups you are mistaken.
    Exactly. We have $50m budget for snowclearing. Clearing some bike lanes first has nothing to do with anything.
    www.decl.org

Give two wheels a whirl on International Winter Bike to Work Day
    February 7, 2018

Take your bike out for a spin this Friday and participate in Winter Bike to Work Day. The City of Edmonton’s bike street team will be out greeting cyclists on the High Level Bridge with hot chocolate, giveaways and fun activities to celebrate your winter cycling commute.

Date: Friday, February 9
    Time: 7 - 9 a.m.

Winter Bike to Work Day is a worldwide, friendly challenge where cities can compete by tracking trips taken that day online. Whether you’re new to winter cycling, or an experienced all-season rider, stop by and join in the fun and learn about cycling safely and comfortably year round. Don’t forget to wear warm layers, put on a helmet and cycle smart as you head out for your commute.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/wintercycling

Media contact:
    Kristi Bland
    Communications Advisor
    780-495-9904
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

While I'm excited at the notion of bikeshare I wonder how many of the bikes are gonna end up abandoned in & around the homeless camp sites in the river valley.

That's the spirit.
    www.decl.org

Any feedback or report on International Winter Bike to Work Day? Good turn out? No turn out?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

We were top 15 in the world for those that reported. There is an infographic somewhere.
    www.decl.org

That's the spirit.
    Yeah, heaven forfend I want the amount of crap found in the homeless camps I routinely find & report in the valley to not go up just so the city can score some points with "progressive urbanists" such as yourself.

We were top 15 in the world for those that reported. There is an infographic somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    While I'm excited at the notion of bikeshare I wonder how many of the bikes are gonna end up abandoned in & around the homeless camp sites in the river valley.
    Just saying, you need a credit card to access a bike on almost every bike share program, and if the bike is not returned that card gets charged. Friends/family living in Van and Montreal haven't heard it being an issue.

Just saying, you need a credit card to access a bike on almost every bike share program, and if the bike is not returned that card gets charged.
    And this is a deterrent to bike theft how?

Just saying, you need a credit card to access a bike on almost every bike share program, and if the bike is not returned that card gets charged.
    Pretty sure they've also got some sort of tracking built in. At least some systems do, in order to let users know via app if/where bikes are available. That's a deterrent.

The trend is moving toward dockless for lower costs, and those ones do have that issue to a larger degree. Especially if there end up being multiple operators all trying to flood the market.

Paris was on of the pioneering cities for this and they have had to deal with lots of bikes being dumped into rivers and canals.
    There can only be one.

Because the bikes are either docked into a rack and not released without a credit card linked to an account; or are heavy bikes with wheel locks and non-standard components. I expect that seats might disappear occasionally but not too bad.
    There can only be one.

Pretty sure they've also got some sort of tracking built in. At least some systems do, in order to let users know via app if/where bikes are available. That's a deterrent.
    Fantastic. Then they'll just throw them in the river once they get down to their camp, like what happened in Baltimore.

Because the bikes are either docked into a rack and not released without a credit card linked to an account; or are heavy bikes with wheel locks and non-standard components. I expect that seats might disappear occasionally but not too bad.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...913-story.html

Worked out GREAT in Baltimore.

So why would a company repeat the same mistake after that happened in Baltimore? They'd improve it. Simple.
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 23-02-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Good thing those suicide barriers were installed on the High Level.

Top_Dawg can easily envision joy riders dive bombing bikes into the North Saskatchewan.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Good thing those suicide barriers were installed on the High Level.

Top_Dawg can easily envision joy riders dive bombing bikes into the North Saskatchewan.
    There's always the upper deck!

So why would a company repeat after that happened in Baltimore?
    Because it's generally worked in other places, including Hamilton which is probably the closest to a Canadian equivalent to Baltimore.
    There can only be one.

But it happened in 1 place, so it will definitely happen here too!

How about let them try it? It's not your money if they get stolen, so why do you really care that someone's trying to bring it to Edmonton? If we're afraid of the "what ifs" nothing will ever happen.

But it happened in 1 place, so it will definitely happen here too!
    Not saying it will happen, just that I've got some concerns. Dial back the hyperbole.

How about let them try it? It's not your money if they get stolen, so why do you really care that someone's trying to bring it to Edmonton?
    Because I'm already tired of shopping carts & stolen bikes around the camps in the river valley & don't want to see more?

If we're afraid of the "what ifs" nothing will ever happen.
    I'm concerned, not afraid. Once again, dial down the hyperbole.

I'll dial back the hyperbole if you dial back the magnification of the Baltimore example.

I'll dial back the hyperbole if you dial back the magnification of the Baltimore example.
    Bringing it up twice in two consecutive posts as an example is "magnification"?

Gotta love how despite me initially stating I was excited but had some concerns about the bikes contributing to an ongoing issue in the city that affects me I'm now "afraid" of bikeshare & am beating the Baltimore drum too much?

Evidently only slavish praise & unfettered support is appropriate?

Ye gods, get a grip.

Bringing it up twice in two consecutive posts as an example is "magnification"?

Gotta love how despite me initially stating I was excited but had some concerns about the bikes contributing to an ongoing issue in the city that affects me I'm now "afraid" of bikeshare & am beating the Baltimore drum too much?

Evidently only slavish praise & unfettered support is appropriate?

Ye gods, get a grip.
    Not at all. As with anything on the internet tone is a grey-area, so I likely misread the tone and if that's the case I apologize. There are a lot of people on this board who are negative about everything, so maybe that's just how I read the board by default now. I must have missed the post where you said you were supportive but had concerns.

As for the afraid comment, that was meant to be more in a general sense. I just don't like slamming the door on a project because of hypothetical and/or potential issues, which seems to happen a lot in this city.

On the other hand, we've also got a city administration that's constantly dealing with "unexpected issues" that were brought up on day 1, so perhaps a modicum of thinking before doing would provide some benefit?

Definitely. Constructive, thoughtful criticism is always welcome. The typical 'sky is falling, won't someone think of the children' stuff bothers me.

Not saying that's what you were doing. I have a better understanding of your stance now.

Bike share can definitely fill a niche in the transportation network. I have used it in Ottawa and it was a great way to see the city. I checked out a number of places that I wouldn't have on foot. If designed and implemented properly it can be very useful for short trips and can also encourage tourists to explore the city. Looking forward to seeing this set up in Edmonton.

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Any plans for a bike lane to the funicular? It's not the easiest thing to bike to at the moment.

I'd suggest extending the bike lane from 100 ave around the bend by Edmonton house and along MacDonald Drive (mixed use in parts). Add a new pedestrian bridge starting above McDougall Hill Lookout connecting to the funicular site.

Neat read. Thanks, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Any plans for a bike lane to the funicular? It's not the easiest thing to bike to at the moment.

I'd suggest extending the bike lane from 100 ave around the bend by Edmonton house and along MacDonald Drive (mixed use in parts). Add a new pedestrian bridge starting above McDougall Hill Lookout connecting to the funicular site.
    Yes. There will be a temporary solution this year, permanent solution to connect the funicular to the grid when Jasper Avenue 96 to 100 St is redone starting spring 2019.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

"The only way Edmonton is going to become a walkable, bike-friendly city with great mass transit is if we stop making mistakes with our transportation system."

Ie: The Valley line??!?! The NAIT line?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post

Yes. There will be a temporary solution this year, permanent solution to connect the funicular to the grid when Jasper Avenue 96 to 100 St is redone starting spring 2019.
    Good to hear, I was just trying to plan a route between DT and Capilano. Everything is hanky dory south of the river, but getting from Low Level to the bike grid is a mess.

So far it seems the best method is to cross Low Level, take the funicular and somehow get onto Jasper westbound.

I was just trying to plan a route between DT and Capilano
    The best route is to cross the Capilano footbridge at 50th street, and then ride west along Ada boulevard to the LRT multi use trail. It's by far the easiest with the least elevation loss/ gain and on quiet streets and segregated paths for the most part.
    Parkdale

It would be a little longer but staying on the north side of the river and then crossing at 50th st. would work too.

edit: jinx!
    Last edited by Highlander II; 12-04-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    There can only be one.

It would be a little longer but staying on the north side of the river and then crossing at 50th st. would work too.
    It's actually not longer. I've timed it from our place to work, both north and south of the river... they're both about the same but the south you have to deal with some ugly traffic and unfriendly roads, and a pretty steep hike up the river valley. North is almost entirely on quiet roads or separated trails and has a much less intense climb out of the valley.
    Parkdale

I guess that depends on where in Greater Capilano you're heading to. You're right there's no good route on the south side, you're either in traffic on 106 or you'e up and down over riverside and under WGD.
    There can only be one.

I guess that depends on where in Greater Capilano you're heading to. You're right there's no good route on the south side, you're either in traffic on 106 or you'e up and down over riverside and under WGD.
    That’s true. I base my times on leaving the 106ave & 50th street area (close to the TGP shopping complex)

I see people biking on 106 ave on our drive to work but I don’t think it’s the safest road for cycling in the morning. The people biking on it look like pretty avid and experienced cyclists.

If I were to take a south route from that same start point I’d ride through Fulton and cross WGD on 101street. Take 101 through Forest Heights to the field south of McNally and hop on the multi use path that dips down into Cloverdale. Take that to LMP and up the bank from there
    Parkdale

^ That route worked well until LRT construction

Hmm when I say Capilano (knowing that Capilano proper is up by the river), I was referring to the mall/power centre. It is much more direct just taking 101 Avenue across and then into the ravine to LLB.

And by DT, I mean Jasper and 104th/105th

I'll have to experiment in the coming months.

I just submitted a request to add a trail notation on Goolgle Maps between the sidewalk by the funicular to the trail underneath the lookout. Even if the funicular and elevator are offline, you can use the stair to push your bike up it (although why the ramps are narrow and switch sides along the funicular staircase is another rant ). I would try that, and walk with the bike along jasper one block, then head south to MacDonald Drive, and a smidge further south after to 100 ave. From there you can ride to 104 st, and eventually connect to the bike lanes.

www.decl.org

Road to Glenora last night at hour, amazing how much faster/efficient biking was. The 102Ave bikeway is fantastic. 15mins from 105/99ave-102ave-132st.

Biked back and then headed south across the river to connect on 83ave and over to Whyte/Gateway. 20mins from 102ave/132st-82ave/gateway

www.decl.org

C2E SME

I do think it's drawing people out that normally wouldn't bike downtown, whether on the weekend with their family, or as part of their regular commute. A few friends and family have mentioned they've been using it.

On the downside, the bike lanes East of 109th are a total gong show. They're blocked by construction in numerous places, with seemingly little thought to accommodation other than simply closing them and telling cyclists to dismount. Which they almost never do. Around the Encore it is extremely frustrating to exit the alley or Beaver House parking lot as bikers are flying through the obstructed-view construction hoarding expecting drivers to have X-ray vision and see them coming at 20-30 km/h.

I wonder if anybody has considered a literal Park & Ride option connected to the bike grid. I'm thinking like a deeply discounted (or free) parking lot outside downtown where commuters could park, hop on a bike (bikeshare, byo-bike, rentals) and pedal the rest of the way.

I bet it would be popular among the demographic that wants to ride but realizes that they live way too far away for it to be feasible (which is self-inflicted, I know).

The 0-Bahn is great and has made my commute to work much nicer. I used cut through Oliver Square to 112th street and head south but now I can burn straight south to 102nd Ave and straight east from there on paths all the way.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

The 83 Ave bike lane has been nuts the past few days. In one block of walking I was passed by 15 bikes and a single car. This was at 7pm. I also love that I'm seeing young (3+) and old (65+) people on the bike lane, along with some skateboarders and scooters.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    The 83 Ave bike lane has been nuts the past few days. In one block of walking I was passed by 15 bikes and a single car. This was at 7pm. I also love that I'm seeing young (3+) and old (65+) people on the bike lane, along with some skateboarders and scooters.
    It's always the route I used, but the bike lane is a great addition to make it even more open to all riders.
    That said, still see lots of riders on Whyte headed east bound.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213