Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Art Gallery of Alberta | Completed

@Tom I should have mentioned I tried downloading that file. My understanding is its a PDF file. I have the latest updated adobe software, but could not open those documents. Not sure why.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    @Tom I should have mentioned I tried downloading that file. My understanding is its a PDF file. I have the latest updated adobe software, but could not open those documents. Not sure why.
    Thanks

Though it was my outdated Dell.

Tom

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The AGA should be Edmonton's version of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, which is a) a major draw for both tourists and locals, b) hosts major art exhibitions, and c) is funded 50% by the Province of Quebec and 50% by private donations. That might be a lofty and unattainable standard, but I'm a firm believer in "reach exceeding grasp".
    Despite the AGA's lofty architectural pretrentions, it is only a 2nd tier museum in the context of Canadian art museums. There is competition for major international art exhibitions amongst the world's major galleries. The AGA's small size also works against its favor. A case in point would be the David Bowie retrospective that originated from London's Victoria and Albert Museum and was the Art Gallery of Ontario's most successful exhibition in 2013 and likely would have been very successful in Edmonton as well. It took up 2 floors of the AGO's special exhibition space and the last room of the exhibit consisted of 3 walls of multi media video showing footage of past Bowie concert performances and the floorspace was interspersed with various static displays. The size of that room alone was larger than the 2nd floor exhibit space of the AGA.

I'm not sure how practical it would be but I wonder if the AGA could partner with the RAM to co-host major exhibitions.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I think once the RAM is up and running, they will compliment each other.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Time for an expansion...into Chancery Hall as an annex for special Art showings like mentioned below. Many places have an annex building - just for special shows.

If we get a new court building, i wonder how affective the old law court could be shared between RAM and AGA. Wouldn't that be something to look forward to down the road. They would tie in with each other so perfectly.

norwoodguy raised some excellent pts regarding the limitations, particularly regarding exhibit size, that this gallery can facilitate.

But this is the problem many of us spotted right along. That the AGA wanted to build a statement piece of architecture that created quite the buzz and it did that, theres the sizzle, but in doing so also built a facility that was small, limited, and exhibition obsolete the moment it was built.

In short they built a supposed "world Class" architectural structure that in the end can't house many wholescale world class touring exhibitions.

Really most of the exhibitions the AGA has is bits and pieces exhibitions. Selections thereof. Its all they can ever do given restrictions of present facility. My very first response was as a supposed provincial Gallery this thing is small.

This is an Art Gallery in a Major city that can't house a comprehensive collection.

Why the AGA board would envision this I have no idea. This facility, expensive as it is, is limited as it is. I think some planners and visionaries set there sights too high on form vs function on this one and lost the forest for the trees. Were they in the end seduced by world class grandeur in architecture, the cost of which ironically compromised their being bigger.

Its not a major Art Gallery, or even close to it, in usable gallery space dimensions. It absolutely misses the cut in this and is dwarfed by World Class galleries.

So thus a Gallery with very limited offerings and that was all about the sizzle and not so much steak. You can have both, which works fine in some designs, but its silly to have the only one be the sizzle. Because it ends up being not very fulfilling and not that much about comprehensive studies of art. Which would be exactly the type of thing that does make for drawing power. Major exhibitions, expansive, exclusive exhibitions. For this to be a tourism draw facility the Exhibitions would have had to be more comprehensive. For instance a limited exhibition of Escher doesn't fascinate as much. I'm not as a tourist going to travel across country to see it. But if the most comprehensive collection of Escher housed anywhere, was put on display then it becomes a destination exhibit. But with the collective works of artists such as this just not being possible at AGA. Instead we get the readers digest version of artistic exhibit rather than more extensive portfolio.

By setting its sights so selectively high, the AGA has doomed itself within its own limitations. Indeed one of the reasons I shudder when I hear about World Class plans.

I'm reminded of an initial World Class LRT system that was so prohibitively expensive to build and expand it doomed progress for decades. Rendering it in the end as anything but world class. Grand aspirations and progress are not inherently bedfellows.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2014 at 01:39 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Art Gallery of Alberta has financial lifeline, but Edmonton councillors looking for long-term plan

The Art Gallery of Alberta has a three-year lifeline as it tries to get on a stronger financial footing, but city councilors want the institution to do more to help itself.

The gallery will get $350,000 from the Edmonton Arts Council this year, falling to $300,000 in 2015 and $250,000 in 2016. The arts council receives most of its funding from the city and these funds will come on top of the $1.125 million the city gives the gallery every year.

Since it opened, the gallery has struggled to hit revenue targets from corporate sponsorships and other revenues forcing it to rely on government grants.
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/94...ong-term-plan/

C2E SME

Out of curiosity, how does the AGA compare to other museums in terms of how much of it's funding comes from private vs. public sources? And how does it's public funding compare to "major" museums across the country? From what I've read in this thread, it would appear that the AGA really doesn't get a whole heck of a lot of public funding, at least compared to what I assumed it would. If we want it to be a big draw for exhibits and tourism, then perhaps it needs more funding that what it is currently receiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does the AGA compare to other museums in terms of how much of it's funding comes from private vs. public sources? And how does it's public funding compare to "major" museums across the country? From what I've read in this thread, it would appear that the AGA really doesn't get a whole heck of a lot of public funding, at least compared to what I assumed it would. If we want it to be a big draw for exhibits and tourism, then perhaps it needs more funding that what it is currently receiving.
    Marcel

Are you talking comparing to Federal Government operated/funded museums, Provincial Government operated/funded museums, Municipal Government operated/funded museums or not for profit museums that are charitable organizations that are operated/funded by societies?

I am not trying to make it difficult but they are very different funding models and don't really cross compare and all have achieved National success.

In my highly biased personal opinion

C2E SME

Quite frankly, I don't really know which category the AGA should be compared to. Provincial I would guess, since it is after all the Art Gallery of Alberta now, not the Edmonton Art Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quite frankly, I don't really know which category the AGA should be compared to. Provincial I would guess, since it is after all the Art Gallery of Alberta now, not the Edmonton Art Gallery.
    Since my last post I have done a little research and read the latest news articles.

From what I have been able to dig up...

The Art Gallery of Alberta is a non profit charitable society run by it's board of directors.

Currently operations are supported by all (3) levels of government as well as earning admissions and other revenue.

Operating budget (from news articles) of 6.3 million per year, 1/2 appears (again from articles) to be coming from the (3) levels of government.

So (from the articles) 2013
    1.625 million from the City of Edmonton
    1.000 million form the Province of Alberta
    200 Thousand from the Federal Government

For 2014 an additional 350,000 coming from the City of Edmonton.

As far as Capital
    The overwhelming majority of the 88 million for the AGA re creation came from:
    Federal, Provincial and Municipal governments.

Not to minimize the wonderful contributions by individuals and corporations.

Best information I can come up with...any one got any better or corrections?

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 20-02-2014 at 07:50 AM.

^ A few more details today;

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Fundi...064/story.html

I'm a little concerned. AS mentioned 6.3M annual operation expenses seems high. But get this, only 1.6M in annual revenue. Wow, that's low. No wonder they're bleeding with the combination of high expenses and low revenue.

lets break it down a bit. 100K ticket sales alone(if they had that) should bring around 1.25M. There supposed to also have 6K annual memberships. But to my eye they're not getting as much as they probably should from annual memberships. Next, galleries usually make some pretty significant coin from art sales, concessions, books, merchandise etc. Are they really drastically underperforming in these areas? It would certainly appear so. Do they get anything at all from Zinc? Cloud nine? Other Events? Bookings? All questions that probably deserve answers after years of fiscal struggle.

For all the revenue stream possibilities within the facility I'm taken aback that revenue numbers are this low for a brand new art gallery located downtown in a major city . This is deplorable annual revenue.

Furthermore Zalmanowitz states; "I'm sure were going to find a solution over the next few years" unfortunately if one tracks back he was expecting to bring about some fiscal solutions 3yrs ago. To be frank I'm not as sure as he is that significant change in revenue will result. In the same article he drops the ball noting that galleries such as AGA will always require around 50% of their revenues from govt. So he's still expecting a very significant ongoing amount from govt. But lets be clear here. In fiscal year 2013 a paltry 25% came from operational revenues. Clearly not good enough.

Again I would really like to see some more financial accountability, transparency, and disclosure given that the facility is getting 3M/ from various govts and still bleeding.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-02-2014 at 09:29 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

More corporate sponsorship is the key, I think. For example, the Glenbow is 100% private and corporate donations if I understand correctly. Art Museums in Montreal and Toronto succeed due to corporate presence in those cities.

There should be a fine line though re: corporate involvement. I would dread a name like "West Edmonton Mall Art Gallery of Alberta Brought to You by The Brick"
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    More corporate sponsorship is the key, I think. For example, the Glenbow is 100% private and corporate donations if I understand correctly. Art Museums in Montreal and Toronto succeed due to corporate presence in those cities.

There should be a fine line though re: corporate involvement. I would dread a name like "West Edmonton Mall Art Gallery of Alberta Brought to You by The Brick"
    The Glenbow, as I understand it, does get significant (but not as significant as AGA) monies from the Province and CoC. I have never been able to verify what Glenbox receives from the Federal Government.

Edit 12:45 Feb 20th:
    I stand corrected, just found the Glenbow Alberta financials for 2012-13.
    https://www.glenbow.org/about/media/...udit_Final.pdf

The Province does provide major funding and the CoC major in kind donations.
    The Glenbow Centre is leased to The City of Calgary by the province of Alberta for a nominal amount ofone dollar per year. The City of Calgary, in turn, subleases it to the Institute for the same amount peryear. Fair market value of the rental has not been determined. The City of Calgary also provides janitorial, maintenance and utility services for the Glenbow Centre at no cost to the Institute. The value of the services as determined by The City of Calgary based on actual costs was $1,529,408 for the year ended March 31, 2013 (2012 - $1,348,380) based on actual costs as reported to the Institute byThe City of Calgary. These amounts have not been included in the statements of Operating Fund.
    That said the Glenbow is a combination of a major museum and art gallery so not directly comparable.
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 20-02-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: New information

Well, my two cents would be that the AGA seriously needs to work on their permanent collection, simple as that.

I've seen some great travelling exhibitions there and have really enjoyed that aspect.

When it comes down to it, any kind of museum/gallery is a balance between the building and collection. The Denver Art Gallery doesn't just have a crazy new addition, it also has an amazing permanent collection, for example.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

It's a fantastic gallery.

The exhibit space is easily the best for over a 1000 km radius, I had never seen (or heard of) a Degas, a Chagall, a Renoir, or a Warhol in Edmonton in my life before, it is the only gallery that the Canadian National Gallery exhibits in outside of Ottawa, the Alex Janvier exhibit was the best show I've seen in my life in any gallery in any country, and the South facade is an abstract map of its own location, with the river twisting around its consciousness = what on earth does it take to impress some people?

It's worth every penny.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Mods or Admin

Could the operations/reviews of AGA be broken into a new thread under Arts and Culture?

From about post #671 to date.

While a worthy topic I don't think its fair to be debating the reviews and ops of the AGA under real estate and development.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    It's a fantastic gallery.

The exhibit space is easily the best for over a 1000 km radius, I had never seen (or heard of) a Degas, a Chagall, a Renoir, or a Warhol in Edmonton in my life before, it is the only gallery that the Canadian National Gallery exhibits in outside of Ottawa, the Alex Janvier exhibit was the best show I've seen in my life in any gallery in any country, and the South facade is an abstract map of its own location, with the river twisting around its consciousness = what on earth does it take to impress some people?

It's worth every penny.
    Haven't seen a post from you in years, welcome back.

meh on the Warhol exhibit.

In anycase I appreciate the arts but Wouldn't know a Chagall from a Degas but then again I'm probably typical in this market.

Its a nice idea I guess getting some of the most famous artists represented in exhibitions in this gallery but is it really the way to go in this marker. The AGA has around 6K members and as discussed in this thread pretty lukewarm patronage and fiscal numbers. Fact of the matter is the gallery just doesn't generate enough numbers or revenue to make top exhibitions worthwhile here.

I was curious what you meant by the bolded and didn't follow it. I must've missed it.

Haven't seen a post from you in years, welcome back.
    Ha ha, thanks.

meh on the Warhol exhibit.
    If you ask me, Warhol was a designer, not an artist, and I think his hysteric following in New York had everything to do with his personality. i.e., agreed completely on the "meh"ness. But AGA gives us that chance to make up our own minds, which we never had before.

In anycase I appreciate the arts but Wouldn't know a Chagall from a Degas but then again I'm probably typical in this market.
    That's the whole point I was trying to make, growing up here I wouldn't have known a Degas from a Renoir, but the next generations of Edmontonians will have that link to human culture without having to leave. What a difference! No art owner or gallery in its right mind would have sent their precious masterpieces to Edmonton before we got this facility.

Its a nice idea I guess getting some of the most famous artists represented in exhibitions in this gallery but is it really the way to go in this marker. The AGA has around 6K members and as discussed in this thread pretty lukewarm patronage and fiscal numbers. Fact of the matter is the gallery just doesn't generate enough numbers or revenue to make top exhibitions worthwhile here.
    Absolutely, since you're asking me, I think it is the right way to go in this market. Perfectly true, as you suggest, that we have a long way to go in this market, but that is exactly why we need it. We don't appreciate art because we don't know it. We don't know it because we didn't grow up with it. But I'm certain the vastly widened cross section of the next generation who grows up seeing this stuff will in vastly larger part very much be able to appreciate it, and in turn appreciate the Gallery's supporters of our present. As I mentioned, they'd have to go, I'm thinking all the way to San Francisco or Chicago or farther if they wanted to see anything better. Not a lot of kids can afford to do that 6 or 7 times a year.

In my case I really started getting something from art (but no idea what it was for a while) with somewhere around my 6th or 7th visit to AGA, at the Alex Janvier exhibit. What a tour de force. Since then I think I'm starting to "get" art as a means of communication, but not every exhibit does that much for me.

500 years of Italian Painting from Glasgow Museums (presently shown) is excellent too, not only in showing the changes in techniques, but it chronicles the history around it in ways too.

Daphnis and Chloe is wicked awesome as well.

(bearing in mind that I doubt I would have gotten as much from them in 2009.)

It's a bit of work to get into it, I've found, but incredibly worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    and the South facade is an abstract map of its own location, with the river twisting around its consciousness
    I was curious what you meant by the bolded and didn't follow it. I must've missed it.
    Hmmmn.

Well when the architect was here explaining his thought process, he suggested it was a representation of Edmonton's own topography, and the giant steel ribbon in particular was indicative of the shapes of the North Saskatchewan's dramatic curves.

I looked at it for a while, and I came up with this:

but obviously it's abstract enough for anyone to come to their own conclusion.

By the way, it occured to me the above tangent may not be obvious without a map with the same roads highlighted:

Thanks.

I could walk by that building several times a day for years and not interpret that as city streets and a flowing river. I'm still trying to find the aurora borealis in the building.

I suspect if I stare at it enough I'll see 3 kings and a magi walking on stilts.

What this speaks to though is how silly the references are. So incredibly vague, like the design itself, that any such reference is rendered meaningless because without the words nobody would even get the symbolism contained therein.

Symbolism perhaps not being that if references are not deciphered. Which further renders an entire front exterior wall of the facility as constructed that way for no discernible (rational) reason.

But its an art gallery so I guess I'm being too hard on abstraction.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-03-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks.

I could walk by that building several times a day for years and not interpret that as city streets and a flowing river. I'm still trying to find the aurora borealis in the building.
    No problem.

I look at maps quite a bit, It aids the imagination.

I suspect if I stare at it enough I'll see 3 kings and a magi walking on stilts.

What this speaks to though is how silly the references are. So incredibly vague, like the design itself, that any such reference is rendered meaningless because without the words nobody would even get the symbolism contained therein.

Symbolism perhaps not being that if references are not deciphered. Which further renders an entire front exterior wall of the facility as constructed that way for no discernible (rational) reason.

But its an art gallery so I guess I'm being too hard on abstraction.
    I might agreee.

I'm glad it doesn't hammer the "Edmonton" into us immediately, I think if it were too blatant (like the new arena featuring the word "EDMONTON" right on 104 Ave in plain English) it just wouldn't be as interesting. As a gallery, I think it needs to be more subtle.

Architect left 'indelible' mark on downtown

Cailynn Klingbeil
    Edmonton Journal

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The American architect who designed the Art Gallery of Alberta, a landmark swirl of steel, patinated zinc and glass on the northeast corner of Churchill Square in Edmonton, has died.

Randall Stout died July 11 from renal cell cancer, said Sabina Lira, spokeswoman for Los Angeles-based Randall Stout Architects Inc. The 56-year-old leaves behind a wife and three children.

Lira said the AGA was the "last iconic project" that Stout was able to see through completion and attend the opening of. The $88-million project opened in 2010 and replaced the Edmonton Art Gallery, built in 1968...

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...07443&sponsor=
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Very sad news indeed and while I still have some reservations about it, overall I think it did a great job at putting the AGA back into the light again.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Sad indeed to die young and for his family as well.

Sure enough the AGA was not to everyone's taste but artistic endeavors often requires risk. . Better to have taken it than none at all.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

We may have gotten his best iconic vision independent of Gehry.

Thanks, Mr. Stout.

The real beaty of the AGA is inside. Stout came here in the dead cold of winter to scheme how he could bring in the greatest amount of natural light and tie the AGA to Churchill Square.

Walk that stairway and you just know that he nailed it.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

She really is a beauty, but still with reservations.
    www.decl.org

^ Really? Lucy, please 'splain...

(Your reservations.)

To be true it is a bit dissociated on half its faces, but it's still the best gallery in Canada (as a building, not referring to its collection.) measuring against optimal is okay, but so it is against reality.

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    ^ Really? Lucy, please 'splain...

(Your reservations.)
    No terrace on the main floor next to Law/CH/Church, the placement of the 2nd floor terrace should have overlooked Churchill, the dark glazing and ramp is less than inviting on the west side.
    www.decl.org

The dark glazing was to block the natural sunlight penetrating the gallery as some artifacts could be light sensitive no?

If by 'artifacts' you mean patrons of Zinc.
    www.decl.org

I keep forgetting there's a restaurant inside the AGA.

So have Refinery Parties lost their lustre? A couple of years ago everyone raved about them and many people couldn't get into them. Now don't hear anything about them.

They are less popular, but still occur and well received.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Some more photos in this obit, plus photos of his other creations:

Obit> Randall Stout, 1958–2014 - Archpaper.com

https://archpaper.com/2014/07/obit-r...out-1958-2014/

Last edited by KC; 28-06-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Add in the new re-clad zinc-clad library and one might get some more interesting aerial photos like this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678