Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Currents of Windermere | Retail | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well if only they could have a proper bus terminal and an LRT station right in the middle of this development and try to at least hide some of the parking, it would be a step towards an actual urban village. Right now all it is, is a scaled down version of SEC that is catering to the rich population that is living and moving into the area.
    An urban village should be like the redeveloped Shops of Don Mills in Toronto where they ripped out a aging 60's mall and recreated an actual neighbourhood centre.
    You do know that Don Mills is still surrounded by parking. I was there in November and think its a great redevelopment. All it needs is better transit access other than a bus.
    But it is not located in the periphery of Toronto unlike Windermere. Don Mills as a 50's era development (both housing and the former mall) are far more central than Windermere is. Yes it does have parking there will never be avoiding it, much like the Shops at Park Royal in West Vancouver still a outdoor mall with parking but again far more urban feeling than Windermere.
    At one time Don Mills was at the edge of Toronto. In fact Don Mills was Canada's first master-planned community.
    True but it was designed as a suburban community with a traditional mall that suited the times. Windermere stuck out past AHD is not an "Urban" Village yet, maybe someday, but that will come when Edmonton sprawls miles past it.

Like I said Southgate in 2011 feels far more urban now and it too was once at the edge of town but at least with the surrounding highrise development and LRT connection it feels part of the city. As yet Windermere to me doesn't.

I like Windermere the way it is right now compared to South Edmonton Common.

I can go there and find a parking spot without any problems.
    I can shop there and not feel overcrowded and people pushing past me.

I hope it stays that way.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^windermere has nothing right now relatively speaking.... you cannot compare.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

According to the leasing website, these are the stores/businesses that have made enough of a commitment for them to be on their map:

- Staples and Michaels next to the Home Depot
    - Shell near the TD Bank
    - Swiss Chalet kitty-corner to the TD Bank (on the inside/"village" part of the development)
    - Tim Horton's on the Home Depot parking lot
    - Montana's restaurant on the Cabela's parking lot (nice fit!)

Safeway, which has been officially announced as opening later this year, is going on the inside/village part of the development, on the corner of Windermere Blvd and Currents Blvd -- so basically across from Canadian Tire. I wonder how much it's going to affect the business of the Riverbend Square store -- which is a very good store.

The strip that's going to open soon -- with the Edo's, Quizno's, Second Cup, Marble Slab, and OPA! -- has the right idea but the wrong stores (IMO) -- would have preferred to see Tokyo Express, Subway, Starbuck's, Baskin-Robbins, and Shumka instead.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised View Post
    - Montana's restaurant-
    Disappointing...I understood from some folks working on the development that Current's was intended to have it's tenant's skew towards the perceived demographic of Windermere as a whole...a touch "higher end", if you will....

Cactus Club/Joey's > Montana's/Kelsey's
    Panago > Pizza 73
    Quizno's (yes, I know it's opening soon) > Subway

etc,.......

Addicted to C2E

The smart brands didn't and don't want to drop 3-4 years of astronomical rent to wait for the area to fill in....developer had a real lack of foresight ....and in my mind started to develop way too early....

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Like most developers... here to make a quick buck and move on as fast as possible. At least the developer seems committed to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    The smart brands didn't and don't want to drop 3-4 years of astronomical rent to wait for the area to fill in...
    Take a drive there if you can and check it out, the residential is filling in very quickly....lots still to go, of course, but compared to 12 months ago it's night and day...add another 10 months until some of these proposals are open for business and now you're talking...

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    I like Windermere the way it is right now compared to South Edmonton Common.

I can go there and find a parking spot without any problems.
    I can shop there and not feel overcrowded and people pushing past me.

I hope it stays that way.
    No chance. Wal-Mart, etc. don't go putting in large stores without predicted traffic figures, and Windermere Wal-Mart looks to be about the same size as SEC's. Zoo Mk.II coming up.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^Windermere has maybe half of the leasable square footage as SEC does, so they aren't really comparable.

As long as it puts in the really good stores I'm good.

Please define "the really good stores" besides the typical box outlets that are present in every development like this kind in the city.
    So far the only unique retailer will be Cabela's that I have heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by LoftGuy View Post
    - Montana's restaurant-
    Disappointing...I understood from some folks working on the development that Current's was intended to have it's tenant's skew towards the perceived demographic of Windermere as a whole...a touch "higher end", if you will....

Cactus Club/Joey's > Montana's/Kelsey's
    Panago > Pizza 73
    Quizno's (yes, I know it's opening soon) > Subway

etc,.......
    I'm quite happy a Montana's is going in there ... the demographic of Windermere and the larger area surrounding it (Haddow, Terwillegar Towne, McTaggart) is also very much "family" and Montana's is a great family-friendly restaurant that isn't McDonald's or Boston Pizza. Those "higher end" people can go over to Ric's Grill or Original Joe's a few minutes away on Rabbit Hill Rd & 23 Ave. (JK, it would also be good to have a "nice" restaurant in the area too.)

It will be a few years before we get anything unique to Edmonton in Windermere if at all. Need more people in the area. That walmart is still the nicest to shop at because there's hardly anyone in it most days.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    It will be a few years before we get anything unique to Edmonton in Windermere if at all. Need more people in the area. That walmart is still the nicest to shop at because there's hardly anyone in it most days.

I will agree with you on that point about the Walmart. it's clean and quiet unlike any others I have made the mistake of entering...
    One very odd side note on it. I stopped by to pick up a newspaper in it last summer. That Walmart doesn't sell papers......odd.

It will be a few years before we get anything unique to Edmonton in Windermere if at all. Need more people in the area.
    The residential community seems to be filling in pretty quickly though, is it not?

not as quick as originally anticipated, but that was prior to the 2008 slow down. It is filling in though..

There are two new subdivisions opening this year. South Windermere and another south of the golf course. The access road is near the bottom of the ravine east of the golf course hidden from public view. It is quite a large subdivision.

^ Which golf course?

First One is Always Free

Safeway, which has been officially announced as opening later this year, is going on the inside/village part of the development, on the corner of Windermere Blvd and Currents Blvd -- so basically across from Canadian Tire. I wonder how much it's going to affect the business of the Riverbend Square store -- which is a very good store.

-
    I don't know that it will affect it much, if at all. I suspect that most of the people who go to the Safeway in Riverbend Square are people who live north of Terwillegar (like the actual 'Riverbend' neighbourhood and surrounding areas). Seems to me that people who live more towards the Magrath area either go to Save-On or Sobey's. People in Windermere seem to do Wal-mart though I, personally, go to Magrath Sobey's. I and will welcome a nearby alternative to Wal-Mart (or the Save-Ons in Magrath/Macewan). Even though Wal-mart is, admittedly, quiet for a Wal-mart I still find it loathesome to shop there. It takes ages just to get a couple items. It is just not a pleasant shopping experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    ^ Which golf course?
    Jagare Ridge. Ellerslie Road and 141 street would be the access point.

Please define "the really good stores" besides the typical box outlets that are present in every development like this kind in the city.
    So far the only unique retailer will be Cabela's that I have heard of.
    The conveniences that most of us like to go to without having to travel too far to get there. I usually go to southgate because it's about 5 minutes from my house.

Since walmart, home depot, london drugs and canadian tire opened, I found that I can pretty much shop for anything and it takes me close to 10 minutes. Plus I don't have to put up with SEC and the overcrowding going on there.

Now all we need is a bestbuy, a Beauty shop, some clothing stores, and I'm all set.

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryExpat View Post

-
    I don't know that it will affect it much, if at all. I suspect that most of the people who go to the Safeway in Riverbend Square are people who live north of Terwillegar (like the actual 'Riverbend' neighbourhood and surrounding areas). Seems to me that people who live more towards the Magrath area either go to Save-On or Sobey's. People in Windermere seem to do Wal-mart though I, personally, go to Magrath Sobey's. I and will welcome a nearby alternative to Wal-Mart (or the Save-Ons in Magrath/Macewan). Even though Wal-mart is, admittedly, quiet for a Wal-mart I still find it loathesome to shop there. It takes ages just to get a couple items. It is just not a pleasant shopping experience.
    I go to Safeway at Riv Square because it's closer. I wouldn't travel to sobey's unless I absolutely had to, or I couldn't find what I was looking for at Safeway, which I usually do.

I'll never shop at Save on foods. The service there is sub-par.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    There are two new subdivisions opening this year. South Windermere and another south of the golf course. The access road is near the bottom of the ravine east of the golf course hidden from public view. It is quite a large subdivision.
    The other neighbourhood is located in Heritage Valley and is called Chappelle. They are being developed by Carma and Delcon.

Check out the maps. It will push right up against Leduc County http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...solidation.pdf

^There already are neighbourhoods pushing against Leduc County, Allard is one of them.

I was just looking at Allard plans. Its very interesting. I wonder what will happen beyond 41 ave or if everything will stop there
    Last edited by Drumbones; 28-01-2011 at 11:22 PM.

^One day the City could look at annexing more land to the south. I do know that the City is interested in annexing the International Airport. I don't know when or if that will happen.

The outer ring road will be at 41 ave sw. Beyond that I would imagine it would be more industrial or commercial as it approaches the airport.

This little map shows the outer ring road in blue , its a bit south of 41, a mile or maybe 2

Page 5 shows the regional ring road approx. 1.5 miles south parallel to 41 ave

Default Windermere currents?

Any word on what business will be going into the new building thats going up in the Cineplex parking lot? Hopefully another restaurant. Southwest edmonton really lacks dining options.

C2E Continued Contributor

That's true. But what would open in a power centre like that? Nothing original. Moxies or Montanas

Chili's. According to the site plan on their webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    That's true. But what would open in a power centre like that? Nothing original. Moxies or Montanas

ermmm Montana's is already there...

There's also a Tutti Frutti or whatever opening sometime soon, and I saw a sign that just said Dolce & Gabbana Coming Soon, but that has mysteriously disappeared. s

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    As far as the 'nothing original' comment goes, I'd point out that we have a brand new liquor store (largest in Western Canada apparently) that's going by a name I've never heard of before. Also the only Cabela's North of Post Falls, Idaho and West of Saskatoon. Not to mention the VIP theatre.

It's no Whyte Ave, but it's also not just a carbon copy of every other power centre.

I'm talking about restaurants.

Five Guys Burgers & Fries (although they're also in South Common and on Wye Road)

Quote Originally Posted by Channing76 View Post
    Chilis?!?!? not bad, but we could use a lounge/patio SW of Calgary trail. Something similar to an Earls, Joeys or Cactus Club. closest thing we got to a lounge/patio is OJ's on 23rd. A sports bar in SW part of town would go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by ispec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing76 View Post
    Chilis?!?!? not bad, but we could use a lounge/patio SW of Calgary trail. Something similar to an Earls, Joeys or Cactus Club. closest thing we got to a lounge/patio is OJ's on 23rd. A sports bar in SW part of town would go over well.
    Famoso, Montana's, Brewsters, and Bistecca also fit that bill.

I fully expect there to be an Earls popping up in Currents, just because they seem to always be where there is a Cineplex. Would love any options that come this way though.

Can we get this thread title updated to "Currents OF Windermere"?

^ Done.
    Almost always open to debate...

thanks.

is there any current rendering/site plan on this development? is the walkable portion still planned? I tried going to their website but they had no drawings, and all of the links previously posted in the thread are no longer working.

^thank you

quite an ambitious project from the looks of it

(http://www.currentswindermere.ca/dow...2352-image.jpg)

C2E SME

I really hope that they do have some of this proposed walkability to it, because as it stands now it's just another power center with very little walkability to it.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    is there any current rendering/site plan on this development? is the walkable portion still planned? I tried going to their website but they had no drawings, and all of the links previously posted in the thread are no longer working.
    They have started construction on the first building that is within the 'main street' shopping area. There is a 3 storey office/ retail building set to start construction soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I really hope that they do have some of this proposed walkability to it, because as it stands now it's just another power center with very little walkability to it.
    Let's get the LRT down there!!! St. Albert to Windermere... If only I had Bob Boutilier's job hehe
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

I was speaking with a family friend who's involved with the Keg chain and mentioned that the owners of the Keg south common have approval to move forward with a keg in the currents. Not sure if this will actually happen or not but SW severely lacks dining options. This in my eyes would be a welcome addition to the area. Sorry Montana's and swiss chalet just doesn't do it for me. Any bar, lounge, patio concept west of Calgary trail would work IMO.

And yet when the Keg debunked the Tomato story of opening in The Westin Hotel, they said they had no further expansion plans here in Edmonton. Typical.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The Keg is a restaurant that has always failed to impress me. If they never expanded it would be too soon.

The Keg is like BPs to me. You always know what to expect. Overpriced and underwhelming, but always consistent.

i was speaking with a family friend who's involved with the keg chain and mentioned that the owners of the keg south common have approval to move forward with a keg in the currents. Not sure if this will actually happen or not but sw severely lacks dining options. This in my eyes would be a welcome addition to the area. Sorry montana's and swiss chalet just doesn't do it for me. Any bar, lounge, patio concept west of calgary trail would work imo.
    xix
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I wouldn't be surprised to see Keg in the Windermere area. There is definitely money in that area to support the restaurant.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Any further rumours of future Currents tenants ??

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    i was speaking with a family friend who's involved with the keg chain and mentioned that the owners of the keg south common have approval to move forward with a keg in the currents. Not sure if this will actually happen or not but sw severely lacks dining options. This in my eyes would be a welcome addition to the area. Sorry montana's and swiss chalet just doesn't do it for me. Any bar, lounge, patio concept west of calgary trail would work imo.
    xix
    ^Indeed, I tried to make reservations for tonight, not a chance...booked solid. On a cancellation list, 10th person on that list. The reviews have been really good on Urbanspoon. Great to see.

Put a. Nando's there and we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    xix
    ^Indeed, I tried to make reservations for tonight, not a chance...booked solid. On a cancellation list, 10th person on that list. The reviews have been really good on Urbanspoon. Great to see.
    We went there at about 5:30pm with no reservation, so we sat in the lounge. It was packed. If we had shown up 10 minutes later we wouldn't have gotten a spot. Food was great (short ribs & lamb shank), room was nice, staff was friendly. We'll definitely be going back...maybe we'll make a reservation for the dining room next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I would like one downtown. I love their peri peri chicken.

http://www.nandoscanada.com
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 25-11-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I would like one downtown. I love their peri peri chicken.

http://www.nandoscanada.com
    It's great chicken, bro. I'm surprised they're not here yet but I'm pretty sure they will be here soon.

What the hell is "Nando's"

Never heard of it, never seen it, spent 5 mins on the website trying to use the restaurant locater that freezes. Without a doubt the stupidest website navigation I've seen in years. Can't even get a menu to load. lol.

Pretty sure they don't even exist in Edmonton.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-11-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

bc/ontario and Calgary only so far.

Nando's is pretty good. I used to have lunch at one now and then while living Vancouver. I'd happily do the same again if they ever open here though I doubt they'd ever open downtown. The Currents of Windermere is more of a location they'd go for.

nando's is portugese style chicken that started in south africa, they are everywhere there as is portugese style chicken

they seem to be based out of BC for canada, they are a franchise operation so anyone can open one in edmonton ifyou want

nandos commercials are always funny, they reallt need to advertise in canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T55IucRnf78

the classic "where's my chips"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U51s_YnBaQY

being from vancouver this currents development looks pretty sad, i looked at the pics on their site it just looks like a parking lot with random buildings on it - but living in alberta now i can't walk anywhere in this insane weather, no wonder people drive across the parking lot to get to another store

this is going up in the suburbs right now (north burnaby) it will have whole foods as the main grocery store

^You can't compare that project with whats being planned for Currents. The context is vastly different between the two. Burnaby in general is a 'mature' suburb that has been built out and is now starting to densify. A better comparison for Currents would be site located on the fringe of Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows or Surrey.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    being from vancouver this currents development looks pretty sad, i looked at the pics on their site it just looks like a parking lot with random buildings on it - but living in alberta now i can't walk anywhere in this insane weather, no wonder people drive across the parking lot to get to another store

this is going up in the suburbs right now (north burnaby) it will have whole foods as the main grocery store

I am from Vancouver too. Give it time. Currents/Windermere is a new area being developed.

As for the weather, there are some things we need to compromise in order for us to get something better (at least in my case).

yeah, the closest we have here would be in south surrey, grandview corners and morgan crossing, i imagine when currents is done it could be more like these, the area around these is sprouting with townhouses and condos - its different everytime i decide to venture out there, so much gets built so fast

grandview is like a "lifestyle mall" its not too bad, has a street running through it, well part of it, the other part has walmart and futureshop and looks more like a typical strip mall

morgan crossing is the same idea but it has residential built above the "lifestyle mall" and its actually not too bad but nothing special about the shops

morgan crossing with residential above is what could've been for windermere... but this city seems to fail to grasp the concept of retail on ground level, living above.

The 'lifestyle' or 'main street' component of Currents is just starting construction. The new Cineplex is one of the anchors and the first building is being constructed to the SE.

Yes it's just an artist conception, but one definitely looks a little more street friendly and pleasant of a building where as the other one looks like a big ugly box that mine as well be surrounded by a big swath of parking.

http://www.currentswindermere.ca/details

Google Maps

but this city seems to fail to grasp the concept of retail on ground level, living above.
    I think that, like duplexes, living above retail stores has a negative stigma. In years past in places like Vancouver, apartments above retail stores were not fashionable, they were there simply because the demand for the apartments existed. They were not particularaly nice places, and as such were not a desireable option. People lived in them becuase they had few other options.

Now of course it has become fashionable... however it takes a little time for the trends to migrate in our direction.
    Parkdale

The concept looks fantastic! It's certainly a neighborhood I'd be attracted to. The only (major) downfall: it's distance from the core.

I'd live here if LRT was slated to run this way. I think it should some day.
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

morgan crossing with residential above is what could've been for windermere... but this city seems to fail to grasp the concept of retail on ground level, living above.
    How so when there have been many successful projects that have ground floor retail....Icon, Illuminada, Serenity, Omega, etc.

^ Those aren't really the same as apartments above retail. I am thinking more of the type of stuff you see along major arteries in Vancouver, Burnaby, etc.. not towers with retail in the base but retail units with a level or two of apartments above. Those are the onces that in the past have been less desireable.. but have become more popular in developments like Newport Village and over towards the university... that's what I consider the type of development we'll see in Windermere to be like.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 04-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Parkdale

C2E SME

How so when there have been many successful projects that have ground floor retail....Icon, Illuminada, Serenity, Omega, etc.
    To be fair, those developments were forced to by zoning and development standards, and in some cases were complete afterthoughts in the design process or were done as cheaply as possible, and it shows. Left to their own devices, many developers would be more than content to build more like the Century, Legacy, and Grand Central Manor.

Thankfully though, it seems some are learning, and the city isn't backing down on the retail/commercial requirements.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

ChrisD, in most markets - and i see no reason to assume that edmonton will be an exclusion to that - buildings without retail are most definately considered more attractive residences. those with retail can certainly also be successful but they will usually be attractive to a more limited segment of the market. some people just don't want to live over a starbucks or a pizza joint or a convenience store...

this is sometimes "less true" the more urban/dense the immediate environment is and it is sometimes "less true" the more the lobby and the public access to it is is clearly differentiated from (and hopefully quite removed from) the retail, but as a rule i certainly wouldn't discount it.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

the render looks good - having a cineplex will definately help pedestrianize the place, the ones in surrey really have nothing to make people hang around once the shopping is done

the render reminds me of a lifestyle mall in a far suburb of portland

you can see the movie theatre in the background here

Last edited by SpongeG; 04-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.

I'm talking more the likes of ground floor retail with 3-4 stories of retail on top. Your exceptions are noted, and I agree, the trend is changing. I also agree that it's likely more of a zoning issue than a developer issue.

In my observations, Edmonton could do a lot more with mixed use buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by CalanTheHobbs View Post
    The concept looks fantastic! It's certainly a neighborhood I'd be attracted to. The only (major) downfall: it's distance from the core.

I work here - not directly in currents, but right next to it. The bus service to Century Park is fantastic. 10-15 mins maxed to LRT, and very limited stops in between. (I'd mention the type of people that use this bus service versus the people that you find on the bus in the inner city, but I don't want to derail this thread)

I work here - not directly in currents, but right next to it. The bus service to Century Park is fantastic. 10-15 mins maxed to LRT, and very limited stops in between. (I'd mention the type of people that use this bus service versus the people that you find on the bus in the inner city, but I don't want to derail this thread)
    I work by the Currents, as well. The frequency and operating times of the bus are good, too. The bus runs every half hour, and runs until 10:00 PM to Leger transit center in Terwillger. It runs a shortened route to the west side of the Currents (Terwilleger road/170th street) until 1:00 PM weekday/11:00 PM Sunday. The routes are the 24 and the 324. The service is steady, other then the times when all transit is slowed by weather.

From a driving perspective, the Henday provides ready acccess to the city's periphery, and it takes about a half hour to get from Oliver to the Currents by car, though I'm sure that would be longer in rush hour going from the Currents too downtown.

It takes about an hour and ten to an hour and twenty minutes to commute by bicycle on a day with reasonable wind. You can use designated bike lanes much of the way, and the Rabbit Hill Road overpass has a bike/pedestrian lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

I work by the Currents, as well. The frequency and operating times of the bus are good, too. The bus runs every half hour, and runs until 10:00 PM to Leger transit center in Terwillger. It runs a shortened route to the west side of the Currents (Terwilleger road/170th street) until 1:00 PM weekday/11:00 PM Sunday. The routes are the 24 and the 324. The service is steady, other then the times when all transit is slowed by weather.

From a driving perspective, the Henday provides ready acccess to the city's periphery, and it takes about a half hour to get from Oliver to the Currents by car, though I'm sure that would be longer in rush hour going from the Currents too downtown.

It takes about an hour and ten to an hour and twenty minutes to commute by bicycle on a day with reasonable wind. You can use designated bike lanes much of the way, and the Rabbit Hill Road overpass has a bike/pedestrian lane.
    The Rabbit Hill Rd overpass actually also features signs that say "Cyclists Dismount"...making it a pedestrian walkway, not a bike lane. Not that anybody actually pays attention to that sign.

Currents to downtown in rush hour is usually about 40 minutes. Longer if there is a collision or something along the way.

I'd be really surprised if anything even close to those renders above are ever built. We can't get developers on board to build mixed-use in Griesbach, which is closer to the core by a factor of 5. Maybe Currents will have more success, but developers here are absolutely scared to death of anything less than big box with massive chain tenants.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I'd be really surprised if anything even close to those renders above are ever built. We can't get developers on board to build mixed-use in Griesbach, which is closer to the core by a factor of 5. Maybe Currents will have more success, but developers here are absolutely scared to death of anything less than big box with massive chain tenants.
    I remember the first presentation I saw in late 2006 and they made a point of saying no big box stores (except the theatre, that was always in the plans). They said the Currents would be all pedestrian friendly, mixed-use buildings with small and local independent stores. People looking for box stores can hop on the Henday and be at SEC in 5 minutes.

Considering how far the goal posts have moved since then, I'm sceptical as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    The Rabbit Hill Rd overpass actually also features signs that say "Cyclists Dismount"...making it a pedestrian walkway, not a bike lane. Not that anybody actually pays attention to that sign.
    I ignore the sign myself, since I can't recall meeting anyone coming or going in the lane. If there oncoming pedestrian or cycling traffic, you'd have to either dismount or be very careful. The width is similar to that of the pedestrian overpass over the Whitemud near Southgate. Its narrow, but I'm grateful its there at all; without the Rabbit Hill road interchange, t the bicycling route would involve the danger of using the Terwilliger Overpass over the Henday, which has no bike/pedestrian lane.

I remember looking at working in the Currents a number of years ago, prior to the advent of Century Park. There was one bus route that only ran at rush hour on weekdays from South Campus station; my transit commute from Oliver would have been closer to two hours one way. Having Century Park available made it much more practical to use transit to get to and from this area of the city.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 06-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    I remember the first presentation I saw in late 2006 and they made a point of saying no big box stores (except the theatre, that was always in the plans). They said the Currents would be all pedestrian friendly, mixed-use buildings with small and local independent stores. People looking for box stores can hop on the Henday and be at SEC in 5 minutes.

Considering how far the goal posts have moved since then, I'm sceptical as well.
    That's BS as there has always been plans to develop 'large format' retail along the periphery of Currents. The Ambleside NASP and Section 900 zoning were developed to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ChrisD, in most markets - and i see no reason to assume that edmonton will be an exclusion to that - buildings without retail are most definately considered more attractive residences. those with retail can certainly also be successful but they will usually be attractive to a more limited segment of the market. some people just don't want to live over a starbucks or a pizza joint or a convenience store...

this is sometimes "less true" the more urban/dense the immediate environment is and it is sometimes "less true" the more the lobby and the public access to it is is clearly differentiated from (and hopefully quite removed from) the retail, but as a rule i certainly wouldn't discount it.
    Like you mentioned, the attractiveness will depend on where such a building is located. I would believe that the majority of the market that is seeking to live in an urban location would like or have no issues with main floor retail.

or would assume and expect this type of mixed commercial - residential in more densely concentrated therefor more convenient environs such as a downtown core area
    Look to NY as one of the best examples
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

The first tenant in the now complete building pictured under construction here will be opening soon. Chatters Salon has signage up, and according to the website is opening soon.

Pet Planet also has signaled up and stock being unpacked

Pictures of the businesses going up into the newly built structure. Interesting that Great Clips and Chatters are in the same building; I guess they serve different demographics.

Tutti Fruiti, a drycleaner, Sangster's, and something else are going in that same building.

Typical strip mall stuff. Surprised there's no Starbucks or Subway - those must already be present close by.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

There's a Starbucks in Safeway...

Typical strip mall stuff. Surprised there's no Starbucks or Subway - those must already be present close by.
    No Subway or Starbucks yet; there's a Second Cup and Tim Horton's for coffee, and a Quizno's for subs. I share your surprise; the affluence of the area seems to beg for a Starbucks, and Subways seem to be everywhere. I guess everyone who lives near the Currents (I work near the Currents) must have a car, and drive to 23 avenue in Terwilliger when they want to frequent either of the noted establishments.

edit: Alex ninjaed me, I forgot about the Starbucks in Safeway. Still no stand alone Starbucks, though. There's MacDonald's for coffee if you're counting in-store businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    No Subway or Starbucks yet; there's a Second Cup and Tim Horton's for coffee, and a Quizno's for subs. I share your surprise; the affluence of the area seems to beg for a Starbucks, and Subways seem to be everywhere. I guess everyone who lives near the Currents (I work near the Currents) must have a car, and drive to 23 avenue in Terwilliger when they want to frequent either of the noted establishments.

edit: Alex ninjaed me, I forgot about the Starbucks in Safeway. Still no stand alone Starbucks, though. There's MacDonald's for coffee if you're counting in-store businesses.
    If we're counting MacDonald's in Walmart we have to also count the 2nd Tim Hortons.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast