Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neon museum a bright idea

Wondering if/how the neon my play off the shiny cladding of the new arena when it's built...?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E Posting Power

I'm sure if this neon museum is built, and the arena is done, this place will be shown at least once as a "city shot lead-in from commercials" on every broadcast from any station showing a hockey game there. Will be good free advertising for the site.

As a side note, it's too bad some of the former neon signs from the city are destroyed or damaged and won't be placed here. Two that I would love to see but probably won't, the "Natural Gas" sign, and the A&W one that says "if you drive, drink root beer".

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I drive past the ED Tel building hoping this idea gets going. June 13 and nothing to be seen. Another failed idea???
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

^No, just taking it's sweet time. They're having trouble finding a company that will do the neon itself. It's a dying art.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^No, just taking it's sweet time. They're having trouble finding a company that will do the neon itself. It's a dying art.
    I thought Blanchete Neon was doing the tube and electrical work.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    I thought Blanchete Neon was doing the tube and electrical work.
    Ya I thought so too, but maybe not all of it. What I heard is they're having trouble finding people to fix a few signs and install them. Not sure what company is doing what parts.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Now I was thinking about this just now, once all this neon is up, will there be anything done to potentially protect the signs. All it takes is one ***** and all of a sudden plenty of broken signs.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Now I was thinking about this just now, once all this neon is up, will there be anything done to potentially protect the signs. All it takes is one ***** and all of a sudden plenty of broken signs.
    I have seen restored signs with an encasement of plexiglass. I'd bet this might be the way they go.

Driving by the other day, we noticed that the external lights on the exchange building—the ones like wall sconces—have been removed.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E Long Term Contributor

^yup... suppose to have cleared all legal/insurance issues and proceeding this summer.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Drove past yesterday and they were doing some work on the exterior. Looked like they were installing some mounting supports. Hope we start seeing something really soon.

^Yes, they have been working on it for about 2 weeks now. Taking out bricks on the facade so they can anchor the supports for the signs and run electrical
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I noticed that too the other day. I can't wait to see this up and running. I hope it will become another attraction for lots of people.

^I was sitting at the wonderful benches outside the Mercer Warehouse, and played with my imagination the sight of the lit-up signs as the sun fell behind that building - it's the perfect canvas, and I kind of like the castle wall windows architecture for some reason. Maybe because it's the only time I've seen such a beast.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

That's one of my favourite aspects of this project; bunker beautification.

Partially Addicted to C2E

^ Definitely. Transitioning the worst facade on the street to one of its best? That's good karma.

I can see some kind of crane on 104 St, in front of Roast/Mercer. Someone please tell me they are finally installing the neon museum pieces on the Telus building?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^No, the larger crane is for Telus equipment I believe.

But work continues on installing the brackets necessary to hold the signs.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Picture of the supports being installed

taken from Chris Buyze's twitter/instagram http://instagram.com/p/cPczZiyX6o/#

C2E SME

I took this picture yesterday (Aug 7, 2013)

I like how this fills the entire east side of the building. Does anyone know when some signage will start going up?

Hopefully one day they'll have enough signs to wrap this right around the corner as well.

wooooo

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Hopefully one day they'll have enough signs to wrap this right around the corner as well.
    I thought it was supposed to wrap around?

I'm judging only by the picture above.

C2E SME

Do they have enough signs to wrap around?

Never mind...someone reposted an old article on twitter, and DECL twitter retweeted it. never mind.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 13-08-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

The barriers are gone but alas, there is no neon yet. Anyone have an idea of when it'll be installed?

Neon sign museum flickers into light

http://www.mailoutinteractive.com/In...8372&qz=f60cc0

C2E SME

That is awesome. I really look forward to seeing this.

It will be interesting to see what signs will be included. I hope the old Mike's News Stand sign is one of them.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Looks like I know where I'll be Feb 21st at 7pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    It will be interesting to see what signs will be included. I hope the old Mike's News Stand sign is one of them.
    "Some of the signs to be installed include Mike’s News Stand, Canadian National Railway, XL Furniture, WW Arcade, Cliff’s Auto Parts and Canadian Furniture. The remaining four signs will be installed over the next few months. There are plans to locate more signs, eventually restoring them and adding to the museum."
    www.decl.org

I'm in. If they're interested, I have a small A&W sign I'd donate.

Any idea if the sign from the A & W on 109 st has been saved?

Tres cool. I think I might get a bit misty eyed when I stand under the Mike's Newstand sign. I spent so many hours as a teenager after school in the store that it was practically a second home.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Another sign that I hope has been saved is the CJCA tiger that used to be on top of the Birks Building on Jasper Avenue.

Exciting project. One of these things that people for photograph for years to come.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I can't wait to see new additions. They say it can hold up to 30 fixtures. Best community project. It will really add to the neighborhood when it all comes together.

Kudos to everyone who had a part in this project. What an exciting addition to our city!

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Kudos to everyone who had a part in this project. What an exciting addition to our city!
    The sign makers who volunteered and company's that gave generously in many ways deserve civic recognition. Without their skills and gift of time and contributions we would not have this fantastic sign museum bringing the past back to life with neon brilliance. Kudos to all involved.

C2E SME

This is looking great, and it will be a great addition for 104 Street.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Such an awesome way to make something out of that imposing brick wall.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Four signs going up today with the rest following soon after. In bitter cold weather. Much appreciated.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

This will look great from the Mercer rooftop patio.

Default Edmonton neon museum set to open

Crews install a Mike's confectionary sign on to the outdoor Neon Sign Museum on the Telus building on 104 Street and 104 Avenue in Edmonton, Alta., on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014. An unveiling event is planned for Feb. 21, 2014, where the signs will be lit up for the first time.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/0...um-set-to-open

The ideal complement to these signs would be panels with images of the signs in their original locations. These signs are truly iconic symbols of Edmonton's past. Kudos to everyone involved in resurrecting these wonderful memories.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Thank David Holdsworth at the City for getting this going and to the many volunteers for keeping it going at the sign companies.
    www.decl.org

^+1
    www.decl.org

^+2

The 12 signs so far is great, I hope they can track down a bunch more....

It would be interesting to know which ones may still be out there

Excellent addition to our city and the downtown

I know the Canadian Pickers guys down in Calgary come across large neon signs from time to time in their travels; perhaps the museum could swing an Alberta neighbourly/museum discount from them on some of the signage, or they could arrange a cross sponsorship from the History Channel, getting the museum an appearance on the show.

I feel so proud to have this in my neighbourhood! It's just the sort of quirky thing that Edmonton does best.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

FYI. Grand presentation will be at dusk 7:00 pm on Feb.21st. Signs will be powered up sequentially. Brass commemorative plaques will be installed below each sign at street level describing each sign's provenance at some point. Tent to be erected on 104th Street. Plenty of media will be on hand. Ultimately there will be a dozen or so signs displayed. As of today seven signs were already erected. More to be installed on the weekend.

Wicked. We will be there and then head to Mercer to celebrate
    www.decl.org

Awesome, hope it isn't delayed since I am headed out of town on the 22nd. Will be there for the grand opening.

They put up the WW Arcade sign yesterday. I also saw the Canadian Furniture sign on briefly while they were installing and testing the maple leaf. Pretty cool.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Love to join you but I'll be in Orlando and New York City that weekend, dammit.

I really hope these signs are all kept up.

Nothing would be more depressing than if in a couple of years half of these neat old signs are burnt out and nobody cares to fix them.

Discussed whole project with Neon Sign Museum project manager just yesterday. Lots of interesting discussion. Most signs were refurbished to varying degrees. Some much more than others. XL Furniture sign was graciously donated and was just cleaned up an clear-coated. Other signs definitely left with some age showing if you look close enough. I believe the Canadian Furniture sign was one sign that was a completely new fabrication. Nothing was left to restore (I believe Canadian Furniture was located on west side of 100th street in a spot currently occupied by Braithwaite Boyle Annex / Sorrentinos Bistro Bar). See tip of a similar Canadian Furniture sign in attached postcard photo. He also talked about the original sign from the Selkirk Hotel and how apparently there was next to nothing left of it so restoration was out of the question and fabricating a new replica sign would be prohibitively expensive. I have attached recent photo of east facade from Feb.12th below.

I seem to be having troubles inserting images of Neon Sign Museum from flickr

It would be nice if they could put the milk bottle on the top of the building.

Sorry. I am trying post images but having no luck.

Is there a way of turning off the adult content thing? That may be preventing you from posting pics.

Original location of Canadian Furniture. See partial sign on left of image. 100th Street & 101A Ave.
    http://s259.photobucket.com/user/gle...4bf15.jpg.html

I'm gonna try to make it down to check it out. If I do, I'll say hello, blow my anonymous cover
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^haha
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by gleaner92 View Post
    Original location of Canadian Furniture. See partial sign on left of image. 100th Street & 101A Ave.
    http://s259.photobucket.com/user/gle...4bf15.jpg.html
    Last edited by TerryH; 14-02-2014 at 01:45 PM.

2 of those signs I recognize. The NAR and CNR I recall seeing at the Alberta Railway Museum. What a great way to preserve and share such valuable antiques. Kudos to all for thier care and creativity in this project. This will defiantly brighten downtown!!!!

Very nice. Lets hope we see the A & W sign from 109 Street and 102 Avenue and the CJCA sign from Jasper Avenue and 104 street.

I'm really digging the W.W. Arcade sign. I recently came across this beauty in the alley behind the Goodridge:

WW arcade by sahlgoode, on Flickr
    Violating Foolhardy Tyranny

C2E SME

And it's not even lit yet

It's a shame the Hub Cigar Store sign was destroyed in the fire.

I thought there were more signs being put up this weekend? Popped by this afternoon but no changes from last weekend - still just 8 signs.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 16-02-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Default New Signage Over Weekend

Project manager told me more sign(s) would be installed over the weekend. Something must have happened to change that. Sorry, I don't know more

Lights on today for testing, XL Furniture sign going up.
    www.decl.org

Pretty pumped to go see this Friday night - but the temperature is supposed to nose-dive.

Will still go, but the fullest possible enjoyment will be slightly affected, (shall we say).
    ... gobsmacked

Default Neon sign Museum - Canadian Furniture

Found this old photo from Aug.1971 confirming old location of Canadian Furniture was 10255-97th Street in site now occupied by Church of Scientology. Will post old photo and contemporary photo as well.

^Thanks for the context
    www.decl.org

Lights on today for testing, XL Furniture sign going up.
    Not my best blue hour shot, but I managed to get this three years ago.

[öffïċïäl töpïċ] büġs by sahlgoode, on Flickr

What a great idea. This is going to turn out so well. Might be a popular spot for a food truck to set up shop on evenings. Will certainly be a popular spot for photography.

Shut down 104st from 103ave-104ave for neon food truck patio parties.
    www.decl.org

Maybe this will entice the owners of the parking lots across the street to do something crazy like pave them, or at the very least clean them up.

Shut down 104st from 103ave-104ave for neon food truck patio parties.
    +1. Especially during hockey games
    www.decl.org

Official light-up is tonight at 7 PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Official light-up is tonight at 7 PM!
    Me and the World Famous: "Hobos with Nikon's" will be there carrying full gear. Light up is at the very deepest part of the blue hour. Should be very cool.

Will be a bit late, but looking forward to see them!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Maybe this will entice the owners of the parking lots across the street to do something crazy like pave them, or at the very least clean them up.
    That would only happen if one of those signs fell on their heads and knocked them loco. Dream on.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

It was a great atmosphere, and so many people! I was really surprised and pleased.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

C2E SME

I can't wait to see it. I wanted to come out last night but by the time I was free it was 8:00. Hopefully in the next day or so.

I caught the news piece on Global, I wonder what are the other 4 signs that they plan on displaying.

One sign that would be cool to see when it eventually gets retired is the Western Cycle sign.

I missed the grand opening - ended up working late, then food, rest and warmth took priority.

News stories plus pics:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...gain-1.2547142

http://globalnews.ca/news/1166090/ed...up-104-street/

Didn't make it to the actual light up, but did swing by to check it out after. Very cool. Can't wait to see more up there.

Some signs I hope make it:
    - Silk Hat
    - CJCA tiger that was on the Birks building
    - huge Natural Gas sign that was on top of the Union Bank Inn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast