Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neon museum a bright idea

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Some signs I hope make it:
    - Silk Hat
    - CJCA tiger that was on the Birks building
    - huge Natural Gas sign that was on top of the Union Bank Inn
    The Natural Gas sign was on top of the Agency building, which was demolished when Famous Player's torn down the Capitol theatre to erect the Capitol Square building.

C2E Long Term Contributor

That historic photo with Natural Gas ^in the fog a little is incredible.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Loving it. Needs many more additions. I can't wait to see this continue. It's a fantastic addition to 104 street and future entertainment district.

Looks great. Any bets on how long until the first vandalism occurs?

I was there and nabbed some shots. Not bad considering my photo skills aren't great, I had no tripod, and my hands were frozen solid. Links to full size originals at the bottom.

http://imgur.com/niIgX6r
    http://imgur.com/pWElkZX
    http://imgur.com/2TJGrXA
    http://imgur.com/lLxdyOq
    http://imgur.com/GwXJwBM
    Last edited by Chmilz; 23-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

According to one link I found, it stated that two signs that were possibly part of this museum was hub cigar and princess theater.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hub Cigar sign was destroyed in the fire.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I was there and nabbed some shots. Not bad considering my photo skills aren't great, I had no tripod, and my hands were frozen solid. Links to full size originals at the bottom.

http://imgur.com/niIgX6r
    http://imgur.com/pWElkZX
    http://imgur.com/2TJGrXA
    http://imgur.com/lLxdyOq
    http://imgur.com/GwXJwBM
    This exactly what downtown needs. Vibrancy and lots of it!!! Good capture!!
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

^From what i have looked up it was only damaged the building however was destroyed.

http://canadianmags.blogspot.ca/2007...tand-sold.html

"We'd like to get the old sign back up," said Tsang, a 14-year employee, recalling the big, neon Star Weekly sign that was damaged in 2005 by a fire that destroyed the original store on Whyte Avenue between 103rd and 104th streets.

A friend who was a reporter at the Journal wrote on Facebook: " I still remember, with angst, the night the iconic "Hub Cigar Store" on Whyte Avenue burned. I was standing beside the owner when the firefighters pulled down its 60-year-old neon sign and - to the horror of the owner - managed to smash it. The firefighters didn't seem to give a damn..."

Thanks! Looks great, I can't wait to check it out in person.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    That's the spirit...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Have you been hanging out with expat?

C2E SME

I was there this evening and I really liked how it looks!

Default Mike's News and Smokes Sign

Here's an old picture of Mike's News & Smokes on Jasper Ave and 100A Street from July of 1968. I always will remember that sign from when I was a kid. Great to have it back. I would love to see the CJCA Tiger sign off the top of the Birks Building restored and hung up.

^ The CJCA Tiger sign would have to be mounted on the roof as its just one sided with nothing on the back... I think if it is restored I would put it back on top of the Birks Building.

Default Neon CJCA Tiger Sign

I wonder if anyone has a decent photo of the neon CJCA Tiger sign they could post? It was situated above the 104th Street Birks Building on Jasper Avenue.

Images from the vintage postcards thread

img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/TVNewsman/Old%20Post%20cards/P%20cards/Capturez12.jpg[/img]

Last edited by 24karat; 02-03-2014 at 11:10 AM.

C2E SME

All I can say is that the seven seas signs are probably all gone, which is too bad, those look pretty cool.

This is the only pic I can find of the CJCA Tiger sign that was on the Birks building. The tail moved.

http://www.infoese.ca/skutle.html

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ I have seen another pic of the CJCA sign on the Birks Building from the eighties.... as Manulife place was in the background. There were two signs, one on the west side and one on the east side of the building.

I would hope at least one the signs has survived, maybe some ex CJCA employee has it?

Apparently there was a CJCA sign on the Birks Building that was pre-Tiger.

http://www.infoese.ca/CJCA%20Promotion%20Sign1.jpg

Another cool neon sign I hope is still around is Hayden's Fine Furniture when they were near Whyte Ave. Theirs was an old woman in a rocking chair, kinda resembled Tweety's owner from Loony Tunes.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

1. I've noticed that the signs are still on during the daytime. Would it not be more energy-efficient to only light them up during the evening?

2. Any word on when more signs will be put up?

Anyone know if more signs are going to be added?

^ I believe they will be added once a selection have been rebuilt. I believe they are refurbishing the signs.

^I'm assuming the north side of the building will be populated once additional signs are refurbished?

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    ^I'm assuming the north side of the building will be populated once additional signs are refurbished?
    No... Just the east side along 104 street. North side facing apartments would be rude. There is took for 30-odd fixtures on the east wall. Currently there are 12? So there is room for several more yet.

Thanks for this amazing thread, and the great news that goes with it! Just quickly, wondering if anyone knows when the natural gas sign was taken down? My Mom remembers it and I think I do, but it might be a false memory...

TIA,
    Mike.

EDIT: I note that the Capitol was demolished in '72 and the Agency building taken out with it - I'd have been 13 - but surely the natural gas neon didn't last that long? Hoping someone knows...
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 24-08-2014 at 02:42 PM.

City Neon Museum ‘just the beginning’
    http://transformingedmonton.ca/city-...the-beginning/

^ From the article:
    “The eight signs we now have up are just the beginning,” says David. “Four more are being restored and 3 others are on offer. Soon you’ll see the Bee-Bell Bakery and McKay Jewelry signs, as well as a Chevy symbol emblazoned with the word TRUCKS.
    Robert says the current location can hold up to 30 signs.

“But over the coming years, our hope is to expand the Museum to include several other locations, so they can add that wonderful historical touch to a downtown that is quickly coming into its own as a vibrant place to be.”

Love this project. Maybe even more than the HL bridge lights. Can't wait to see additions and future sites. One off Whyte and one off 118 Ave would be awesome.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Ok, so where else in the city could something like this go?

Are there any other plain brick walls with no windows in high-traffic areas that come to mind?

C2E SME

Based off of this picture on the city website, is there plans of somehow renovating and opening up some space at street level for some retailers?

As for other locations in the city for more neon museum space, I think there are a couple areas nearby that could work well if redesigned properly. First location I wouldn't mind is on the city center mall parkade wall facing north towards the arena district. This could be a way of dressing up a parkade and actually make it an attraction rather than an eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post

Are there any other plain brick walls with no windows in high-traffic areas that come to mind?
    Parkade on RHW
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Parkade on RHW
    RHW gets enough love. There's a big brick Telus building conveniently located right on 118 Ave at 89 St that could use some lighting up.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Parkade on RHW
    RHW gets enough love. There's a big brick Telus building conveniently located right on 118 Ave at 89 St that could use some lighting up.
    There are big brick Telus buildings scattered all over the city. I like the idea of having a few on that RHW parkade, especially since there are no residential units which would be affected by 'light pollution' from it.

How about Hall D ? Remove the "artwork" that is currently there and put up some neon....

And if the CJCA tiger is still around put it back on the Birks building where it belongs...

Quote Originally Posted by Rseven View Post
    How about Hall D ? Remove the "artwork" that is currently there and put up some neon....

And if the CJCA tiger is still around put it back on the Birks building where it belongs...
    Great idea actually. Perfect location and visible from so many angles. The other cool thing is that art is already temporary as it gets changed out every once in a while with something else from the city's public art program which is cool (not the dream content on the wall, but the stuff at street level).

My fear with Hall D would be that the signs would be too low and easy to vandalize. It shouldn't be a concern, but it is.

My fear with Hall D would be that the signs would be too low and easy to vandalize. It shouldn't be a concern, but it is.
    Exactly. People would smash them.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

C2E SME

They definitely need to be high enough that they would be hard to reach. Hmmmm, how about the city centre mall parkade on 102A ave. That area has always been a bit of darker and dreary stretch of road. Maybe with a few neon signs there and perhaps a widening of the sidewalks this could become a nice walk from Churchill square to the arena district. Especially with the road closed off in front of city hall I don't see a need for all three lanes on the stretch anymore.

How about the back wall of the Milner Library across from the Weston?

Blank wall of the Icon 2!

C2E Posting Power

Getting a little bit of press now.
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/12...ns-for-museum/

I hope the can find or replicate the CJCA Tiger tale, and pretty sure there was an old school A&W Root Bear one if I'm not mistaken. I have always liked that Natural Gas sign in old pictures of Edmonton, but not if that would happen though.
    Last edited by jmart81; 26-11-2014 at 09:32 AM.

That's spooky - *shivers* - I was thinking of the natural gas neon myself - that it would look great atop Hall D.

And CJCA Tiger Radio neon? Now please and atop the Birks building again, thank you.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

So I noticed the other night that one of the signs (Canadian National Railways, Freight Telegrams) was not on.

I was wondering if the WW Arcade neon sign was saved?

^Neon hard to keep lit.

WW Arcade sign is up there.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post

Based off of this picture on the city website, is there plans of somehow renovating and opening up some space at street level for some retailers?
    What's inside that building currently? would be fantastic to have what that picture is showing. even with the neon signs, that building really kills the street (especially given its at the 'entry')

^ You mean the current neon museum building? Telus techie/equipment/server building. You can still see an ingrained Ed Tel logo above the 104 Ave entrance.

Yeah that building and its contents aren't going anywhere.

The two (or was it four) neon signs being refurbished - anyone know what they are?
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^Neon hard to keep lit.

WW Arcade sign is up there.
    Really?? was it installed recently?? I was just there and don't recall noticing it and in every picture that I've been able to find online I don't see it there. I'm surprised I missed it.

I drove past tyhem last week and noticed a few of the signs had only one side lit???

Some maintenance is needed. Call 311 perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Some maintenance is needed. Call 311 perhaps?
    I'll try and e mail the folks in charge of them. They may not be aware of the problem.

I would like to see some recent photos of active neon signs that might some day grace the 104 Street archive. Anyone?

And, without making me look through the entire thread, does anyone know if there are more archived signs ready to be put up anytime soon (such as hinted at by McBoo below)?

^ looks like the Georgia Baths sign is the only new addition since the original eight signs were installed last year. Thought they would have more up by now.

I'm wondering whats going to happen to the big South Park sign on Whyte. Can't recall if that dealership is still there or if the sign even works anymore. I would prefer it to stay where it is, but it could be moved downtown I guess

Who is in charge of the Neon Museum?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

It would be great to see thre or four large signs up on top around the roof's edge.

Also, would reproductions be a legitimate addition?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Who is in charge of the Neon Museum?
    It would appear to be the City.

"The Neon Sign Museum is possible thanks to a partnership between the City of Edmonton, the Alberta Sign Association, Telus, the Downtown Business Association and The Places.

The City is looking for more signs for the museum from Edmonton and region. If you have or know of any please contact the City representative listed.

For more information:
    David Johnston

Sustainable Development
    6th Floor, 10250 - 101 St NW
    Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3P4"

link

Source: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...gn-museum.aspx

It looks like they have a long way to go...

I sent them an e-mail...
    Last edited by ThomasH; 01-11-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Considering the building has no retail bays, I would say they've got some work to do yet. Haha. Sad that it's such a none useful building.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Considering the building has no retail bays, I would say they've got some work to do yet. Haha. Sad that it's such a none useful building.
    Non-useful from the street, but one of the most useful/necessary buildings in Edmonton if you've ever used the Internet or a phone.

Looking forward to seeing more signs put in place.

These are the questions I had:

I am wondering about the progress on the Neon Sign Museum, as of today there are 8 signs displayed. It has been over a year now, are there any new signs being added to the collection? What is the status of this museum? Are you guys waiting for funding and donations? What about the proposed retail bays on the base of the building, is that going to happen any time soon?

This is the reply I got back:

Thanks for contacting me about the Neon Sign Museum.

Actually, we have 9 signs up now! The Georgia Baths sign was added at the end of July this summer. The Museum is still an active initiative between the City and the Alberta Sign Association (ASA). Apart from the new Georgia Baths sign, we have several others that are currently being rehabilitated by sign companies through the ASA. The City has provided some assistance to the ASA for maintenance of existing signs, but we are largely dependent on volunteer time from the ASA to complete the ongoing restorations. These projects are underway, but I don't have any specific timelines on when they will be complete. Member companies do the work as volunteers, and have to fit that into their day-to-day business activities.

The retail bays you note were shown as an example in the early visioning work for the Museum. These assumed a possible location where such bays could be developed. While we found a supportive owner to accommodate the sign structure and signs themselves (TELUS), that particular building cannot accommodate retail bays, due to the sensitive equipment inside the building. If the Museum expands to another location in the downtown, this may be a future possibility.

I hope this helps - please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions.
    I am happy to know that progress is being made.

www.decl.org

Sorry I didn't realize photo was so large.
    www.decl.org

That's a nice one. Good addition. Looking forward to more.

Col. Mustard's (I think?) is also a recent-ish addition, though you can't see it in that photo.

C2E SME

Very very nice.

Man I need to remember to tell people about this when they visit. I keep forgetting!

Might not fit the current requirements for posting, but the burger baron on ft road looks closed, and it has a neon right

Possibly too large
    i love lamp

Edmonton's outdoor Neon Sign Museum to expand
    Three signs added since the summer, several more to come

http://www.metronews.ca//news/edmont...to-expand.html

^awesome!
    i love lamp

Yup, one of the brighter spots of unique little projects we have seen recently.
    www.decl.org

That's great... that will be 19 signs up on that wall... I read somewhere they hope to have around 30 signs when done

C2E SME

I know that this is an Edmonton thing but I wonder if there are other signs from Alberta that would be significant that could be added?

C2E Posting Power

I'm sure that street will be shot a lot for hockey broadcasts starting next season.

I wonder if they can add lights to more structures, like the parkade where Japanese Village is, get people moving down the entire street.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

This has been an excellent piece of urban design. Taking a bland non-descript building side and bringing it to life with one person's junked turned treasure.

A cold vacant corner of the city now feels warm and welcoming.

Will these wrap around onto 104 ave too? Would seem kind of cluttered if they're only on 104 street,would it not?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

This is really cool.

I only hope that the city continues to diligently maintain the signs (quickly replace burnt-out parts, etc.).

Here's another to add to the wall...Lillo's Music sign, this is currently right next to Boston Pizza on Whyte Ave...

This sign has seen better days but I think would be a nice addition once restored. Lillo's has been in business since the sixties. They should donate this sign to the museum if they have no plans for it.

Most shops will stop using their signs if they go out of business.

^ XL Furniture are still in business, they donated their old neon sign... Lillo's should do the same

I was driving West down SPR at 149st and saw a small pale green sign that reads "Real Estate." It's mounted in above Harry Walker insurance. The Burger Baron sign still stands on Ft Road.

A bunch more signs will be going up in the next few weeks.
    www.decl.org

The latest issue of Avenue has a good article on the Neon Sign Museum; it also mentions that there will be a few retro neon signs that will be attached onto the Mercer building across the street. (For whatever reason, these particular signs can't fit onto the EdTel building's cantilever structure.)

C2E Posting Power

I'm sure that street will be shot a lot for TV when Oilers games are going on next season.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

David Holdsworth ‏@holdsurf
    Rumour has it that more signs are coming...May 17 for light up @ 7 pm
    https://twitter.com/holdsurf/status/728615453329739776

Pantages, Princess theatre and a second WW Arcade signs were installed yesterday however they are not working yet.
    Last edited by Glenco; 07-05-2016 at 10:21 AM.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

"Bee Bell Health Bakery" is up. Looking pretty crowded.
    Last edited by Glenco; 11-05-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Can't wait to go down and check it out once they're all lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    David Holdsworth ‏@holdsurf
    Rumour has it that more signs are coming...May 17 for light up @ 7 pm
    https://twitter.com/holdsurf/status/728615453329739776
    Rumour

Hope to see a few of you on May 17th at 7pm. Pints at Mercer after.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I saw the signs up, just have to see them lit up. It is looking great. I am more and more loving this idea.

From May 10, 2016. I don't think Mike is rocking his leg back and forth anymore. At his age, the arthritis must be kicking in ... so to speak.

OMG. Love it.

That 104th sign should be neon.

Who is coming tomorrow?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast