Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Donairs in Edmonton?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Best Donairs in Edmonton?

Folks: I know that I've really enjoyed the loaded donairs at Burger Baron (111 ave and 152 st), and the Swiss Donair guys put out a really tasty wrap, too (83 st and 144 ave).

Where do you folks go for donairs in E-town?
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Queen or Famous Marco's along with the place on Jasper and 107st.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Only one quality shop I've been to thus far: Moonlight Cafe on Jasper and 107th street.

Queen Donair?? That's like listing KFC in the fried chicken thread in my mind.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Roadrunner Pizza on Whyte and 99 st.

Nice spiced donair meat and the pita is warmed to a light, chewy crisp. But the sauce is what makes it the best in town.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Mikes Donairs on 50 st and about 70 ave is really good. They have a creamy dill sauce that's yummy on there.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Much hate for dill sauce, much love for sweet sauce.

I've been partial to Mr. Donair on Stony Plain Road since highschool.

Donair Express

Address:
    8501 118 AVE NW,
    EDMONTON, AB T5B 0S7

(Between: 86 & 85)
    (Near: 85 ST NW and 118 AVE NW)
    Phone: 780-474-5508
    I always ask for lots of sweet sauce; they have garlic and tzatzika too

World's Finest or donair stop.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I like the donairs from Marco's Famous on Whyte Ave or in SUB at the U of A.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    World's Finest or donair stop.
    Awesome donairs there, and number 2 would be Swiss Donair.
    i love lamp

rod: thank you for posting addresses.

The rest of you: post some damn addresses, hahaha!

Used to be Queen Donair (various locations) now Marco's is the choice, on Whyte and also 104th Ave and 110 Street (same plaza as Starbucks).

High Voltage on Calgary Trail at 63rd isn't bad. They toast their "East Coast" donairs. Unfortunately, they are open fewer hours than a bank is.

C2E Posting Power

Donair Stop
    New Location is right next to the 7-11
    7115 98 Ave NW

Swiss Donair
    8308 144 Avenue NW
    Edmonton, AB T5E 2H4
    (780) 456-5859
    i love lamp

World's finest is on Jasper and 118st I believe...maybe a couple streets west. They hit your donair with the grill to crisp it up. Delicious.
    Donair stop used to be on the NE corner of 101ave (Baseline) and 50st, they moved however to 98the ave and Ottwell Road, next the 7-11 and Pizza 73. If you go there, get a half and half. Half chicken donair, half beef = delicious.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Edmonton's BEST donair shop hand down stop the search parties over here it is da da da da.... High Voltage. One donair on a loaf with sweet sauce and all the veggies mmmm that's where I'm going now, makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Donair on a loaf?? Are you talking about some sort of cross between a donair and a sandwich? Donairs and sharwarmas are made with pitas -- perhaps you've found something new I need to try!

Donair subs are pretty good....

Donair pizzas are pretty good too.

By the way, never order donairs on your first date.

Although this is more of a seated dining establishment than your typical fast food donair hut, anyone been to Sofra (10345 106 Street)? I'm assuming that they serve donair-type dishes as part of their Turkish fare.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Well I did go to High Voltage for dinner and MMMMM MMMM was it good, to bad but he ran out of loafs and I had to have a peta. Although you can get the donair on a loaf it isn't posted on the menu, just ask him to put it on a loaf (white or brown u pick) then pick your veggies and sauce (the jerk is good if you like HOT). His donairs are great as he dosn't use Charles Smart donair meat like most other Edmonton Donair shops and he gets his loafs specaily made, and he's VERY particular about his loafs. Anywho try it you wont be disapointed.

First One is Always Free

Mr. Donair stony plain rd 162. been goin here for over 5 years they have one of the best sweet sauces in town.

Chomps Donair in callingwood. dont know exact address but its oppisit the mcd's on the west side. they also have a good sweet sauce and they grill em just right.

never tried High Voltage but it sounds like it has a good one, i shall visit this fine establishment very soon.

not to stir anything up but does cow town have any donair joints that compare to ours? any time i pass through i only eat at pete's.
    Ohhh Edmonton, Alberta.... Yah I still don't know where that is.

Really is there any bad donair out there?

I think donairs are about four things:

1) The sauce
    2) The quality of the meat loaf
    3) Whether the meat loaf is overcooked or fresh
    4) Size of the portion

The sauce is the most pivotal component, in my mind... it dramatically changes the whole aftertaste of the donair.

Try Lynwood Donair (in the same strip mall as Bon Ton Bakery on 149 St) - their chicken donairs are made with real chicken breast meat (diced). The largest beef donair they have is just huge.

For those of us who don't really like donairs. (I just can't trust pieces of meat that look like leather), how about shawamas? Any good recommendations?

Charles Smart Donairs on Whyte Avenue.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Simon King
    Corner of 91 St and 51 Avenue
    9070 51 Ave
    Non semper erit aestas

Hungry Jack's (Calgary Trail, just south of Whyte) used to be the best, hands down. The owner seasoned the meat himself. Absolutely delicious.

He sold the business a while back, and it later closed. Now it's a taco joint.

For shawarmas, I recommend Sunbake Pita Bakery, 10728 - 134 Ave. Try the shawarma on saj.

A co-worker who hails from Nova Scotia says Edmonton donairs are not the real deal. The sauce used in Edmonton donairs is sweet tasting. She says a true donair has a more neutral yogurt-based sauce.

She must know something because Halifax was voted the donair capital of Canada.

That explains why my favourite Burger Baron advertises the "Halifax" Donair!

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    A co-worker who hails from Nova Scotia says Edmonton donairs are not the real deal. The sauce used in Edmonton donairs is sweet tasting. She says a true donair has a more neutral yogurt-based sauce.

Huh? I'm from Halifax and the donair sauce there is the sweet sauce. I couldn't believe it when I had that yogurt-based sauce they use at some places here - it was awful.

High Voltage's East Coast Donair is the closest I've had to a Nova Scotia donair out here. I might even say it's better than Halifax.

What's the difference between the East Coast Donair and a regular donair?

I better try this High Voltage place so I can get to the bottom of this. Maybe it is Edmonton that is the donair capital of Canada?

SIMON KING DONAIR at 91st St and 51st Ave...amazing! Incredible Lebanese secret spices!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    SIMON KING DONAIR at 91st St and 51st Ave...amazing! Incredible Lebanese secret spices!!!

x2 for Simon King.

And my buddy in Wetaskiwin makes a damn good Donair Pizza...

C2E Continued Contributor

Swiss Donair is excellent and they know what customer service is all about too. I enjoy going there when I'm in that neck of the woods.

Mike's donair is awesome too. Again, Mike knows what customer service is all about and he makes a fantastic donair.

Addicted to C2E

Revived this thread to put in another vote for HIGH VOLTAGE (calgary trail/63 ave).

the meat is better than your average donair meat, the sauces are great, but the main differences is the pita. it's seasoned and grilled with olive oil so it becomes infused with deliciousness. They also grill your donair meat after it's shaved from the lump. It's reallly reallly good. Best donair I've ever had.

Thumbs up #1!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwalker View Post
    Simon King
    Corner of 91 St and 51 Avenue
    9070 51 Ave
    The best by far! I've "converted" no less than 12 different people- who all swore they already had the "best"...

Second place would be Mr Donair on Sty Pln Rd and 162 St. I actually went there to buy the Donair meat for my stag (12lbs)- no I'm not kidding...

The best are those left uneaten
    Brrr they really creep me out after seeing them assembled onto the spit ( and I do mean spit)

I make my own Donairs but agree with the High Voltage recs. For anyone interested it's basically montreal steak spice that he puts on the pita before grilling (that's what I use anyway and it tastes the same).

You can get those extra large pitas he uses at the Italian market as well and probably other places.

High Voltage, by far.

Nitza's Pizza (or as it used to be called- A1) in St. Albert

Another vote for High Voltage. Every other donair I've ever had was pretty run of the mill, the sauce is generally the difference I find, but High Voltage just blew me away. The only problem is the hours the owner keeps.

First One is Always Free

Definitely Donair Way on 102 Street and 119 Ave I believe it is.

Addicted to C2E

My favorites are Marco's famous on 104 Ave & 111 St as well as the recently re-named Mike's Famous on Whyte Ave. Queen Donair is only mediocre at best. Btw, where can one get a decent donair pizza by the slice ?

C2E Continued Contributor

I was really surprised to find out that almost all Alberta donair shops use only the spiced beef, the authentic version actually uses a mix of beef and lamb spiced up.The taste diffirence is night and day...

Anyone aware of any shops using the ''proper'' recipe for the meat???

Quote Originally Posted by chupa View Post
    I was really surprised to find out that almost all Alberta donair shops use only the spiced beef, the authentic version actually uses a mix of beef and lamb spiced up.The taste diffirence is night and day...

Anyone aware of any shops using the ''proper'' recipe for the meat???
    I've made donairs at home using ground beef and ground lamb (never tried mixing the two kinds though) and they tasted pretty much the same to me.

Walmart was actually the only place I could find ground lamb out of all the supermarkets.

I like Famous Doniar 1080 Strathcona Dr in Sherwood Park

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=...image&resnum=1

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

She must be drunk. Halifax donairs have sweet sauce and I'm from there as well.

The donair as we know it in Canada was invented in Halifax at a place called "King Of Donairs" and they have been using a sweet sauce since I can remember.

The most authentic Halifax donair I have tasted is the Buger Baron on 95th st. Never mind the 'hood, just go and try the ones there. That said I have yet to taste one of the High Voltage ones. I know where I'm going this weekend.
    I post, therefore I am!

Richard's Donair on 127 street and 137 avenue... they are uber generous with the meat... sooo deadly.

Last weekend, the bf and I traveled to Calgary for a weekend away... anyway, we went to check out the new mall (which I have to say, is pretty lame - tacky) and they had a lebanese place in the food court that was really very good. I want to see one of those in Southgate, WEM, City Centre, Kingsway. They were REALLY busy too.

It'd be a perfect fit for the UN Food Court @ Southgate.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

That's exactly what I was thinking... The food court at the new mall in Calgary has a similar selection of restaurants as the one at Southgate.

Donair Stop, hands down.

Anyone know what's happening to the old Charles Smart Donair location?

I heard a rumor that Tim Horton's was opening here, can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Richard's Donair on 127 street and 137 avenue... they are uber generous with the meat... sooo deadly.
    ty for tip, i'm going to try richard's for dinner tonight!

Thumbs up

im suprised no one has mentioned mj's donair & pizza.. thier donairs are out of this world, especially when you asked for extra sweet sauce, they aint shy of puttin a whole lot of that. i've had their donair pizza as well and it was a damm good pizza they make,. 11819 40 ave in the plaza called aspen corner give it a try ppl

I've been to my areas newest donair shop a couple times now - Mac T Donair, 9516 Ellerslie Road
    Best Donair ever, the garlic sauce is fantastic. My girlfriend even loved her wrap.

^ They named their donair hut after the former Oilers coach?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Here's another solid donair place in St. Albert, "Simply Donairs" right beside the DQ in that strip mall on the west side of St. Albert Trail. Big portions, great sauce(s) and nice guys running the joint...my guilty pleasure....

While my wife browsed at the knitting shop I checked out Amean Donair next door at 34 ave. and 99 street. The best I've had in the city? Very close. Well worth a trip.

Home Style Donair and Subs
    3424 43 avenue NW
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1414...-Subs-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by jcbel View Post
    3424 43 avenue NW
    YES!! the only reason why I travel into millwoods, best donairs i ever had, huge and messy goodness mmmmm.

Breaking news donair fans. Not sure if it's a reno or a new resto moving in but drove by today with my mouth watering for an East Coast donair and High Voltage is closed with newspapers in the windows. Here's hoping it's just a reno because they are (hopefully not were) GREAT donairs.

C2E SME

Would be awesome if they were moving to a better location.

Noticed the papers as well. I thought I saw his car there still today so I'm guessing it's just renovations.

I sure hope it's just renos

A firend of mine in the in the night club / lounge industry stated - clubs are never being renovated, they are temporary closed due to violoations liquor or otherwise. Hopefully not the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    Breaking news donair fans. Not sure if it's a reno or a new resto moving in but drove by today with my mouth watering for an East Coast donair and High Voltage is closed with newspapers in the windows. Here's hoping it's just a reno because they are (hopefully not were) GREAT donairs.
    They are doing renos.

I talked to him about it back around December when he was doing up plans for the renos. He said he would be closed for about 3-4 weeks if all went well.

Strangely, I've lost 5 pounds in the 2 weeks he's been closed so far.

3424 43 avenue NW

AGREE besy donairs I have had since moving to Alberta!

Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    They are doing renos.

I talked to him about it back around December when he was doing up plans for the renos. He said he would be closed for about 3-4 weeks if all went well.

Strangely, I've lost 5 pounds in the 2 weeks he's been closed so far.
    EXCELLENT news - and what a relief!

For the westend, I use to go to Mr Donair after the bars back in the high school days and years after (may be showing my age, but I remember back then when I started going you can get a super donair for $6 haha)

In the north, I go to Richard's Donair. As a previous poster posted, they are generous with the meat.

C2E SME

Yup, Mr. Donair was and still is great. Same thing, been going since highschool, jeez, nearly 15 years now. Mama Donair still recognizes me even though I only come in a couple times a year.

For those who haven't driven by recently - High Voltage re-opened last Friday.

Amean pizza and Donair on 34th ave and 99st. In the Mc'ds parking lot. Top notch stuff...

Checked out Home Style Sub and Donair -- on the recommendation of this thread -- and I was pleased. I didn't like how he chopped the meat instead of leaving it in strips and they didn't steam the pita. It looks like the sweet sauce was thickened with cornstarch. Otherwise it was tasty enough and the guy making our order was very nice. Best in Edmonton? Naaahhh. Amean Donair is better.

the best donair shop in edmonton is donair stop they're located on 9718 ottewell road i've been going there since 2007 i would have it every day do yourself a favour and go try it

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrion View Post
    Donair Stop, hands down.
    ihave to agree

Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
    Donair Stop
    New Location is right next to the 7-11
    7115 98 Ave NW

Swiss Donair
    8308 144 Avenue NW
    Edmonton, AB T5E 2H4
    (780) 456-5859

donair stop new address is 9718 ottewell road

Quote Originally Posted by reservoircat View Post
    Folks: I know that I've really enjoyed the loaded donairs at Burger Baron (111 ave and 152 st), and the Swiss Donair guys put out a really tasty wrap, too (83 st and 144 ave).

Where do you folks go for donairs in E-town?
    i go for donairs to donair stop @ 9718 ottewell road check it out they have been in buisness since 1994 they know what to do trust me u won't regret it

There is currently a movement afoot to put together a Donair Fest, which I assume will be much like Beer Fest. There is a group on facebook and it is backed by Trixstar Entertainment, which put on many of the events associated with Grey Cup. I urge all of you Donair-crazy folk to join (I already have).

Cheers!

I do not know if you guys have heard but there'a a new store in town
    It is called Eddie's donair. Located on 16757 91 street. Hands down the best donair in Edmonton. The owner of the restaurant really takes pride in his costumers and his quality of the food. He wants to make sure you come back, and trust me I used to be a swiss donair guy, but not aymore, not after trying his. He also makes these amazing hamburgers. Man just typing this all out is making me crave one. All you got to do is stop by and taste for yourself 16757 91 STREET.

Have to ask, because there seem to be a goodly # of donair fanz here - how far would you go for a great donair?

I mean, if it was the best donair in the entire world (or gyro as it's known in much of the rest-of-the-world), would you really drive to 167th avenue to try one?
    ... gobsmacked

I didn't have to go far but I once had donairs delivered from halifax.

[QUOTE=McBoo;400716]Have to ask, because there seem to be a goodly # of donair fanz here - how far would you go for a great donair?

I mean, if it was the best donair in the entire world (or gyro as it's known in much of the rest-of-the-world), would you really drive to 167th avenue to try one?[/QUOTE

Well, on a nice summer Sunday afternoon some people might. There are a fair amount of people from St.Albert/Sherwood Park etc: that drive to Edmonton for a better selection of food outlets/restaurants. Buy some fast food and take it to the park or an outdoor soccer game.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

For those that STILL have not, HIGH VOLTAGE is it. I will gladly drive twenty minutes one-way for that odd occasion I crave donair to get it from this place.

It is a true fresh-food experience, run by efficient, passionate owners, who don't let their customers down. Unless, of course, you don't want olives with your green peppers. In which case you start to feel like one of the Seinfeld cast in a NYC soup shop. No, I'm not joking.

Just about everyone else in town is a little bit of a pretender. I have yet to find a spot where the onions weren't hit-and-miss (and they have the potential to destroy even a GOOD donair).

Truly, I can't bring myself to even order a donair anymore (and I have sampled probably half of the places in this thread) for the following reasons:
    --Management is sufficiently poor that you may get tomatoes or onions that are past due and taste like arse.
    --Sauces are too liquidy and/or sweet (A good donair should NOT actually leave you covered in a nasty, greasy mess all over face/shirt/hands up to your elbows, necessitating two full rolls of paper towel, and a shower).
    --Pita is not fresh enough to be wrapped properly, cracking and splitting and contributing to aforementioned mess.
    --Meat is ALL THE SAME in this friggin town. With less than a handful of exceptions.
    --Cheese is GARBAGE
    --Quality control on the meat is lacking. Too chewy, too crunchy, too dry, etc.

The only places in the region where I can still be consistently satisfied are indeed Simply Donair (consistently fresh, friendly service) in St. Albert, and High Voltage (just the best donair I have ever had).

Finally, Halifax donairs (sweet sauce) may have been invented in Halifax, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily the best.
    Last edited by PickLeZ; 26-10-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: *** = arse

First off: Halifax has the BEST donairs in the country. They are truly of the place. So much so that I have seen signs in five major Canadian cities advertising "Halifax donairs". That being said I must agree with you that High Voltage makes a fabulous donair. Cheese or lettuce on a donair is just plain wrong so obviously I have not tried any of the HV variations on the theme. I would go so far as to say that High Voltage has created the "Edmonton donair" -- traditional donair wrapped tightly, grilled and sprinkled with oregano. Sumptuous.

Great donair experience: My buddy drives me out to Herring Cove where we visit The Man. Picture it, an old warehouse lined with row upon row of donair meat turning slowly on their spits. It was like a donair farm. Just wow!

LOL, great answers folks - clearly a pair of well traveled true donair experts!

Donairs flown in from Halifax = true passioon. Well done.

High Voltage - my bud drives for a living- taking him, oh and me too there ASAP.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    First off: Halifax has the BEST donairs in the country. They are truly of the place. So much so that I have seen signs in five major Canadian cities advertising "Halifax donairs". That being said I must agree with you that High Voltage makes a fabulous donair. Cheese or lettuce on a donair is just plain wrong so obviously I have not tried any of the HV variations on the theme. I would go so far as to say that High Voltage has created the "Edmonton donair" -- traditional donair wrapped tightly, grilled and sprinkled with oregano. Sumptuous.
    Great marketing, AJ. On the whole, Halifax donair shops might hold themselves to a higher level than any other city's, out of pride.

But you can get donairs that are just as good as the donairs I have had in Halifax, in virtually every major city.

A Halifax donair is distinct from a Greek donair, having sweet sauce, rather than a yoghurt/garlic/tzatziki type sauce. When a business advertises a halifax donair they are not trying to liken themselves to "THE BEST DONAIRS", simply advertising the type that they sell.

Cheers.

I really like this place called Prime Time Donair. Its 28 avenue and 66 st across from fire hall 16
    Amy, Living in Mill Woods Edmonton for 2O years and counting and wouldn't change a thing <3 My home!

Of the places I have tried, I would go with Marco's. Mainly because of their meat. Lettuce on a donair seems weird to me but for some reason its common in Edmonton.

I do wish there were more places that sold authentic shwarma.. mmh.

First One is Always Free

Quick Donair at Argyl and 75th is really good, but one caveat: order the donair but ask them NOT to put the meat on the grill after slicing it off the spit: I find it dries out it out.

I really like this place called Prime Time Donair. Its 28 avenue and 66 st across from fire hall 16

thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check it out as I'm in millwoods.
    I tried amean donair on 34 ave & 99 street and have been back a few times the last 6 months or so. I have to admit it's gotta be the best donair I have ever had. yummy! And they're nice guys too.

The Best Donairs in Edmonton will soon be... at my place. Took a crack at making my own donair meat this weekend and it was a damn fine effort if I do say so myself. A little tweaking of the meat ratio (little more lamb, little less pork) and more salt and I am gold baby.

Anyhoo, had me some prime time donair a couple weeks ago and it's now my favorite. Thanks for the suggestion! Amean donair is good stuff too but it's twice the distance but I'm due to revisit. Great thread

prime time, with their butter chicken sauce.

world's finest (jasper ave west), prime time (by grey nuns), best donair (jasper gates).

Default Country style donair

went with my wife. was around 66st Whitemud, beside mcD. Excellent donairs.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Channing76 View Post
    3424 43 avenue NW
    YES!! the only reason why I travel into millwoods, best donairs i ever had, huge and messy goodness mmmmm.
    I agree, this place is great. I go there regularly after playing sports in Millwoods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast