Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Donairs in Edmonton?

Having lived in St. Albert for a few years and now back in Edmonton, I would have to say "Simply Donair" on St. Albert Trail in St. Albert. Their sauces are AMAZING. Fresh ingredients and meat that's not too salty. I've tried High Voltage, a place on Whyte, and a place in the westend since and nothing compares.

Right now my go to's are Swiss and King donair. Used to do the Mr. Donair on stony plain rd. but their quality seems to have dropped off. There's another place on 142nd st and 118ave (next to the burger baron) that is actually pretty good. They've changed owners over the years but the last time I had it, it was decent.

Haven't really seen any donair places in the southwest (late night or other)...any recommendations?
    Will definitely try out High Voltage.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

My 'go-to' donair places right now are Mike's Sub & Donair (51st Ave. & 99th St.) and Donair Stop (98th Ave. and Ottewell Rd.). Very good every time.

Just went to High Voltage this weekend and though not typical and not as much meat as most places, I really liked it. The pressing and seasoning of the pita plus the well seasoned meat made it thoroughly enjoyable and well worth the bit extra you may pay compared to other places.
    Definitely will stop there again.

You're right on JTM. I've mentioned it here before but I think High Voltage, with the grilling, seasoning and pressing of the pita makes the "Edmonton Donair". Had a great one at Mike's Famous on Whyte this weekend -- I've tried them before but they weren't this good.
    ^^As for Donair Stop, the less said the better. They can't be accused of small portions (jeebus!) but the quality is desperately lacking and the shop has some, ahem, cleanliness issues.

Can't get enough donair? How about falling asleep on one?

Love Mama's Donair in West Edmonton Mall. Literally the only place I eat donairs these days. They aren't healthy.

They just aren't.

I have perfected a homemade donair that puts most store bought to shame. The best donairs in the city are now made at my house.

The new challenge will be to re-create the decadent experience of the donair egg roll I had while on vacation. In fact over the summer I tried donair pogo, donair won ton / egg roll, donair meat loaf and a couple other variations. All compelling in their own right.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Good for you. How does that help the rest of us?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Not even a little bit.

Partially Addicted to C2E

My wife and I have been going to 'Simply Donairs' in St. Albert (beside the Dairy Queen, west side of St. Albert Trail across from the St. Albert mall).

While their sweet sauce is pretty average, their portions are very generous and the beef and chicken are quite tasty. A large should feed a hungry grown man, and a jumbo donair will easily feed two kids.

If you're in St. Albert and want a donair, give this place a try. Perhaps get both the sweet sauce and the Tzatziki sauce on the side, and decide which of the two you like more.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/simply-donairs-st-albert
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

I'd rather C2E than work!

I prefer Famous Donair in Sherwood Park. Closed Sundays, open until 9 weekdays or the meat runs out (about 8 PM)
    http://famousdonair.com/

Swiss Donair. Ask for toasted pita, half crispy meat and garlic sauce.

Thank me later!!!

There was a place on 51 Ave near Southgate called Fabio's that did an amazing Donair, it burned down but that was good Donair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12