Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the NHL

grish

second chance? after how many chances is it no longer a "second" chance?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Anyone else as sick of the whole Mats Sundin thing as I am? I hear that the NHL governors want to put in a deadline for UFA signings because of him.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yep. Also sad, is that a third line centre (really that's all he is now) is going to get paid $10M. That oughta screw your cap space and be a lovely little cancer in the dressing room.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    Yep. Also sad, is that a third line centre (really that's all he is now) is going to get paid $10M. That oughta screw your cap space and be a lovely little cancer in the dressing room.
    A point a game player is a third line center? What?

Personally I'm sick of the situation as well. Niedermayer, Sundin, Forsberg and a couple others have made a joke of the regular season. Why play 82 games when you can sit on your duff for 4 months and pick a winning team halfway through the season? Either there needs to be a deadline for signing UFA's, or a minimum requirement of games played to be eligible for the playoffs. Either way, a mechanism needs to be brought in to stop this BS, because it's getting out of hand.

As far as Avery goes, I'm sure he was behaving himself in NY because Shanny told him he'd string him up if he didn't.

I don't buy this Rangers rumour. They basically told him to leave when they made their offer to him last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    A point a game player is a third line center? What?

Personally I'm sick of the situation as well. Niedermayer, Sundin, Forsberg and a couple others have made a joke of the regular season. Why play 82 games when you can sit on your duff for 4 months and pick a winning team halfway through the season? Either there needs to be a deadline for signing UFA's, or a minimum requirement of games played to be eligible for the playoffs. Either way, a mechanism needs to be brought in to stop this BS, because it's getting out of hand.

As far as Avery goes, I'm sure he was behaving himself in NY because Shanny told him he'd string him up if he didn't.
    Agree with most of this, and as a Shanahan fan, I hope I don't add his name to the list of UFAs pissing around.

side note: seem to remember another PPG player who spent some time on a third line in the twilight of his career....anyone heard of Ron Francis?

Point is (ok, opinion), his skills are diminishing (though cleverly disguised in this new Bettman era NHL), his age is up, lots of power play time, and Mats only seems to care about Mats. You want him, have him. But stats are just that. Stats.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oilers + Sundin = playoffs

The guy is still a great hockey player. Playing for the Leafs can take the fun out of the game after a few years.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Oilers + Sundin = playoffs

The guy is still a great hockey player. Playing for the Leafs can take the fun out of the game after a few years.
    watching the leafs play can take the fun out of the game after a few years too

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/col081216.html

Forsberg attempting another comeback
    TheFourthPeriod.com

Former Avalanche star center Peter Forsberg is going to make another comeback attempt in hopes of joining a team by the playoffs, reports the Denver Post. "I want to play. I hate sitting in the stands and not be able to be out there on the ice," Forsberg told the Swedish television program 'Hockeynight' on Monday. "If it doesn't work this time, I'll call it quits. But I have the best doctor in the world (Bertil Romanus), and without him I would have given up already. I'm still hopeful." Forsberg, 35, recently had another surgery on his right foot. The Post claims Forsberg will likely return to the Avalanche if he finds himself in a position to return.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sundin to the Canucks....man, that is a huge aquisition for them.

Managing the salary cap correctly, they were virtually the only team that could bring him on.

After all the delays and drama and over analysis...in the end...it's a big fish they've landed.

Personally, I hope it (he) fails. He has not skated competetively for 6 months. So, Van's looking at a 3 month training camp for him, then hope he pushes them through the playoffs. Cause really that's why he was brought on. We'll see, I guess.

It's a pretty big deal. I thought the Canucks would be a joke this year, but they've been surprisingly good. Adding Sundin really helps them, as they had such little scoring depth. I wouldn't say they're a contender for the cup now, but I think they'll win the NW.

Sedin + Sundin + Sedin. I would hate to be a play-by-play guy if that's going to be the first line!

Adding Sundin really helps them, as they had such little scoring depth.
    common misconception...as they are 9th in the league in goals per game...Sundin makes them that much stronger.

AW

Still think he's using the 'nucks as a showcase/training camp then find a higher bidder next year. This coming from a self-admitting Canuck hater. Go Oil.

The Outdoor Classic at Wrigley Field today did not have the same buzz or surrealism as the previous two held in Buffalo and Edmonton. Perhaps the weather conditions were too perfect.

Expect Sundin to make his debut with the Canucks tonight in Edmonton.

He'll be a bust in Vancouver, just like Messier.

Yeah. A guy who takes 6 months to decide if he even wants to bother to play or not, then takes $10 million probably isn't the most motivated guy in the dressing room.

what were the odds of Calgary Beating The #1 Sharks, and The Wild beating the #2 Bruins in the same night this division is insane to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Yeah. A guy who takes 6 months to decide if he even wants to bother to play or not, then takes $10 million probably isn't the most motivated guy in the dressing room.
    Heh, I'm thinking Sundin is good for at least 2 points tonight. That's just the way things work against the Oilers. I could almost hear MacTavish saying "yes!" when Toby Peterson got 3 points against us back in the fall.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by nhl.com
    Interest abounds for Winter Classic sites Wednesday, 01.14.2009 / 3:24 PM / News By NHL.com Staff
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=404141

Last year's first NHL Winter Classic drew 71,217 fans to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo.
    What was the one in Edmonton? Was it not the first Winter Classic or does it have to be on Jan 1st?

^ Heritage Classic. I suppose they differentiate it from Winter Classic because of the alumni game between the dynasty-era Oilers vs dynasty-era Habs.

Difference is semantics I guess. Wikipedia says the Winter Classic was modelled on the Heritage Classic, which in turn was modeled on the outdoor 'Cold War' game between the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Classic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Winter_Classic
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

So Craig Hartsburg was sacked from the Ottawa Senators. And to think I once wondered what he'd be like behind the Oilers bench.

Alain Vigneault and Michel Therrien are sighing in relief.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    You spoke too soon - Therrien's been given the boot in Pittsburgh.

Something interesting is going on with the Habs:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com
    Fri., Feb. 20, 2009
    About the Habs and breaking news...
    12:51am ET

Updating the situation a bit here, it looks like the Kostitsyn brothers are being linked to some type of criminal activity, which I'm trying to figure out what. Apparently it's related to some prostitution ring, but it's all media hype at the moment and again, speaking to my sources, members of the team aren't worried about the situation.

As the Anaheim Ducks take to the road for a series of games over the next two weeks, the Los Angeles Times reports Chris Pronger might not be on the team for its next home game March 6.
    I hope he's traded somewhere he really doesn't want to play in. Hey Lauren, TAKE THAT!

Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    You spoke too soon - Therrien's been given the boot in Pittsburgh.
    Really?

In that case.....Tom Renny and Craig MacTavish are sighing in relief.

^ I spoke really too soon now. Tom Renny got the boot.

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...obeSports/home

p.s......Craig MacTavish is sighing a huge relief.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 23-02-2009 at 12:14 PM.

North Guy... it's almost like you're predicting these things So, are we supposed to read into this that MacT is next?

Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    North Guy... it's almost like you're predicting these things So, are we supposed to read into this that MacT is next?

Gord
    i'm no NorthGuy but it should be pretty obvious that mcT is done for if the oil don't make the playoffs... at this point that prospect is looking pretty grim (oil making the playoffs)
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...st/Oilers.html

I don't see how you figure it looks grim. They're in the best shape they've been in years, and all we have to do is finish strong and the chances are pretty good. 14-9 is pretty much guaranteed in, and 13-10 is a decent chance. Neither is unreasonable at all.

But absolutely, every game we don't walk away with 2 points from is a big kick in the junk.
    Last edited by raz0469; 23-02-2009 at 02:34 PM.

I don't see how you figure it looks grim. They're in the best shape they've been in years, and all we have to do is finish strong and the chances are pretty good. 14-9 is pretty much guaranteed in, and 13-10 is a decent chance. Neither is unreasonable at all.

But absolutely, every game we don't walk away with 2 points from is a big kick in the junk.
    winning 4 games only in the last 10 chances is not very promising. yeah, the remaining games need to be on the spread you mentioned otherwise we're not in.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Look at the standings, we are in good shape to make the playoffs.

Position, Team, GP, W, L, OTL, Points
    5 Vancouver 59 30 21 8 68
    6 Columbus 60 30 24 6 66
    7 Dallas 58 29 22 7 65
    8 Minnesota 58 30 24 4 64
    9 Edmonton 59 29 25 5 63
    10 Anaheim 61 29 27 5 63
    11 Nashville 60 28 28 4 60
    12 Los Angeles 58 25 24 9 59
    13 Phoenix 60 27 28 5 59
    14 St. Louis 59 25 26 8 58
    15 Colorado 60 28 31 1 57

There is a 3 point difference to move up to 6th and 5 points to move up to 5th. As for teams behind us, Anaheim has played 2 more games, Nashville has played 1 more game and has 3 less points. with 20+ games to go, it is literally anyones game in the West.

^ good shape = 44.2 % chance of making the playoffs.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...st/Oilers.html

That website gives you statistical probabilities based on random chance only. It doesn't take in to account scheduling (who we're playing, how good they are, home vs. away, back to back etc) or pretty much anything other than the number of games remaining and current standings. If we win two or three in a row the probability will probably jump to the 60% range.

If the Oilers finish strong, we'll make the playoffs. If we putter out, then we won't. Our destiny is in our own hands much more so than it has been most of the past 10 years, normally we're well outside the picture and need to claw back and clinch in the last couple games of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

Gord
    That's my thinking too! It's scary.

I have a beef with McDonald's.

Their latest promotion is NHL Star Helmets. Six mini-helmets featuring star players are being offered for $2.99.

Every week two are available:
    February 24 - Jarome Iginla, Carey Price
    March 3 - Evgeni Malkin, Roberto Luongo
    March 10 - Alexander Ovechkin, Vesa Toskala

Where's Hemsky? Where's any Oiler or Senator?

I'll understand the selection of players if McDonald's want to offer only superstars......Iginla, Luongo, Malkin, Ovechkin fits that category. Sidney Crosby is probably not an option because he pushes Timbits.

But Price and Toskala????

MacD's should either offer only superstars or have every Canadian team represented.

I'm NOT lovin' it!

That website gives you statistical probabilities based on random chance only. It doesn't take in to account scheduling (who we're playing, how good they are, home vs. away, back to back etc) or pretty much anything other than the number of games remaining and current standings. If we win two or three in a row the probability will probably jump to the 60% range.
    Nailed it. On all counts.

I remember looking at the Oilers' schedule at the start of the season and saying to myself "They have a really favorable last 1/4 of the season, schedule-wise." The Oilers are done their back-to-back games, and are done their grueling road trips. The teams they are in contention with have much tougher schedules, in general.

Missing the playoffs would make this season a failure, but the thing I am wondering right now is, if the Oilers DO make the playoffs and get trounced in the first-round (which most of us would expect), would the season actually be considered a "success"?

It really depends who we play and how the series goes. It would be nice to see another first round upset, but if we take it to 6 or 7 games against Detroit or San Jose I would consider it at least a moral victory. Definitely not a "success" though. I would have defined success this year as winning the division and making it to the second round, at least. A failure would be missing the playoffs.

Somewhere in between is just that, not a failure but not a success.

Regardless of what happens, I'll be shocked to see MacT behind the bench next season, no matter what happens he'll be moving upstairs I would imagine.

Au revoir Georges?

Yup, Georges Laraque says he's on the trading block, assuming the Canadiens can find a taker for the $3-million remaining on the three-year contract he penned in the off-season.

“I haven't asked for a trade, but with my salary and the way they're using me, I'm definitely expecting it. The coach has told me he doesn't like tough guys, he said I'll be in and out (of the lineup) until the end of the season,” a dejected Laraque said after practice today.

The Montreal-born enforcer has suited up for just 25 games this season – missing a long stretch with back and groin problems – and has accumulated a meagre two assists to go along with 47 penalty minutes.

He has dropped the gloves only a handful of times, and has been a healthy scratch in each of Montreal's last two games – both wins.

“If I'm not important to the Canadiens, I will be for another team,” Laraque told a gaggle of reporters, adding “it's very frustrating, it's the first time in my career that I've been left out of the lineup while I'm healthy . . . if the Canadiens had told me I would be in this type of situation, I certainly wouldn't have come here.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../WBhockeyblog/
    Wait a minute.

Big Georges, Ryan Smyth, Pronger are all rumoured to be traded.

Maybe Oilers management do know something about hockey?

In hindsight I still think it was a mistake to let him walk, but that said, I don't particularly want him back on the Oilers either.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...hkin-Cherry-0/

Cherry's Ovechkin rant bugs Capitals Sunday, March 1, 2009

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON -- Don Cherry criticized reigning NHL MVP Alex Ovechkin's exuberant goal celebrations. And that prompted Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau to fire back at the outspoken personality.
    Video of soccer players celebrating goals was shown, followed by video of Ovechkin, who leads the league with 45 goals entering Sunday.

"Now watch Ovechkin. ... Does he not remind you of a soccer player? And that's what Crosby was talking about. Look at him," Cherry said.

Known for his staunchly pro-Canada stance, Cherry gave a long list of hockey players from Canada who should be viewed as role models.

"What I try to do is teach the kids the Canadian way," he said.
    What is exactly is the "Canadian way"? Displaying yourself as a personality-free dullard that spouts off cliches?

grish

Don Cherry dresses like Ovechkin celebrates. What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    Don Cherry dresses like Ovechkin celebrates. What's the problem?
    lol, excellent point.

When can we put Cherry in a retirement home? Does anyone outside of Ontario even like the guy? He's a xenophobic bigot, at best.

And Ovechkin's reaction is exactly why I like the guy so much: he's just having fun, playing a game, enjoying every minute of it and not letting anyone get him down.
    Last edited by raz0469; 02-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.

The league needs more exuberant players like Ovechkin.

Jason Gregor said it best after the Glenn Anderson ceremony. He said he missed goal celebrations like the Anderson windmill. Nowadays players just skate by their own bench and do the fist-touch with each teammate. Lame.

Ovechkin is exactly what this league needs more of. It's the best thing for hockey in years. Cherry's out to lunch (again) on this one. These days Cherry is coming across as more of a loudmouth bully. I'm tired of it. Being a proud Canadian doesn't mean being a boorish jerk about it.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

If it was Dougie Gilmour getting excited after a goal I'm sure that Cherry would not have had a problem with it. Cherry is a bigot and a huge homer (leaf lover).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    If it was Dougie Gilmour getting excited after a goal I'm sure that Cherry would not have had a problem with it. Cherry is a bigot and a huge homer (leaf lover).
    sure, Cherry is a bigot, xenophobe, etc... we all (or most) agree on that.
    but didn't he end up like, 5th, on the greatest Canadian ever poll on cbc a few years ago? he was light years ahead of greats like Emily Murphy, Margaret Atwood, Pierre Berton, and countless others of the finest Canadians..
    What does that say about us? unfortunately many canadians identify with a guy like cherry than with a genuine hockey player like AO.

Thing is, there's plenty of non-Europeans with exuberant goal celebrations over the years.

Every time Georges Laraque scores a goal, he does a dive into the glass in the same manner as football players who dive into the bleachers after a touchdown.

Mike Foligno used to toss his stick down and jump up and down like a maniac.

Gretzky always did the low fist pump.

And I vaguely recall one or two other players whose goal celebrations consisted of riding the stick like a hobby horse or playing it like a guitar.

But no, if a European superstar celebrates a goal, it's a crime against humanity and a corrupting influence on children.

Someone please put the old fart out to pasture.

I think Ron MacLean would be happier if they got rid of Don Cherry. Kelly Hrudey would fit in nicely as I think he already does the 2nd intermission. He is articulate, not condensending, knowledgable, and quite pleasant.

Don Cherry though attracts a crowd with his demeanor. He seems to have become more eccentric as the years go by, but no one could ever replace him. Remember his discussion on CC about the Iraq war? Who else would bring that up during a hockey intermission? He always supports our troops no matter what, even will give up some CC time to honour fallen soldiers. I just wish he wasn't such a blow hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

And I vaguely recall one or two other players whose goal celebrations consisted of riding the stick like a hobby horse or playing it like a guitar.
    Dave "Tiger" Williams rode the broom when he scored a goal. It was hilarious. Of course he had 3000 more penalty minutes than goals.

Islanders might move if Lighthouse project doesn't move forward.
    http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyi090308.html

The Lighthouse project, which has been in the works for seven years, will be built on the current 150-acre Coliseum site and will include a residential area, office buildings, a retail area, a concert hall, a sports complex, a minor league baseball stadium, a five-star hotel, and a renovated arena for the Islanders.

Milbury mentioned the proposed community will create upwards of 70,000 part-time jobs and 20,000 full-time jobs.

According to lighthouseli.com, the estimated $3.74 billion project can generate $71 million in annual tax revenues. Milbury suggested Nassau County continues to "play politics" with Wang.

Guy Carbonneau gets the axe one day before playing the Oilers.

Gainey is back behind the bench.

didnt they win their last game handily? what a fickle bunch they are in Montreal.
    be offended! figure out why later...

I forgot to add something yesterday...

Guy Carbonneau gets the axe one day before playing the Oilers.

Gainey is back behind the bench.
    ^ Craig MacTavish just had a huge sigh of relief.

Koivu could miss remainder of season

The Associated Press

March 23, 2009 at 10:14 PM EDT

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Just as the Minnesota Wild were finally welcoming Marian Gaborik back, they lost another top line player to injury.

Center Mikko Koivu hurt his right knee in Sunday's win over Edmonton and will miss at least the next week, if not the remainder of the regular season. Even if he heals quickly, it's an unquestionable detriment to the Wild's playoff push. They are one point behind eighth-place Nashville for the final spot.

Koivu was injured when his right knee bent awkwardly on the ice while being pulled down by Oilers forward Ales Kotalik. Koivu had an MRI Monday morning and met with team doctors, who want the swelling and stiffness to subside for the next few days before a timetable is put on his recovery, assistant general manager Tom Lynn said.

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...rtsHockey/home
    How's that for karma?

Poor Derek Boogaard couldn't protect his top player from getting injured.

C2E SME

Some bad news for the NHL playoffs...

TSN'S MAGGIE THE MONKEY TO RETIRE AFTER 2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

Toronto, ON (April 8, 2009) – TSN regrettably confirmed today that world-renowned post-season prognosticator Maggie the Monkey will officially retire after making her picks for the 2008-09 NHL Playoffs.

Maggie will make her first-round playoff picks during the NHL ON TSN PLAYOFF PREVIEW SPECIAL on Tuesday, April 14 at 9pm et/6pm pt. Throughout the network's NHL playoff coverage, TSN will look back at Maggie's stellar career and her on-again, off-again, relationship with NHL ON TSN host James Duthie.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=274261
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Default Burke and Tavares

What's Burke been smoking? Or should I say drinking? He says he's willing to trade up in the draft to get Tavares? Who's he gonna trade?

Globe & Mail speculate he might even give up Luke Schenn. I just about shot milk out my nose when I heard that one. Sure, Schenn should be good, but there's nobody on the current Leaf team anyone with a functioning brain would take for a shot at either of the top two spots.

Of course, it is the Islanders.

What's Burke been smoking? Or should I say drinking? He says he's willing to trade up in the draft to get Tavares? Who's he gonna trade?

Globe & Mail speculate he might even give up Luke Schenn. I just about shot milk out my nose when I heard that one. Sure, Schenn should be good, but there's nobody on the current Leaf team anyone with a functioning brain would take for a shot at either of the top two spots.

Of course, it is the Islanders.
    Jimbo, on this we agree. there isn't SIX players on Toronto that would be worth Tavares. If I'm Tavares agent I'm begging the Islanders NOT to do a deal with Toronto. That kid will have the life crushed out of him there.

The Oilers should pull off that trade for the #1 pick just to p!ss off Burke! Besides, the Isles have a recent history of taking the Oilers' sloppy seconds!

No dancing on the Red Mile tonight.

Risebrough has been sacked after 10 years of Mediocrity in Minny.

There will be no dancing on the Red Mile tonight.

grish

there might be. all those chicago fans living in calgary might go dancing on the red mile. smile!

haha i was in cowtown earlier today and man were the people there excited. little did they know that their team would stink up the joint oilers style tonight
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E SME

I think Calgary fell apart in the second period (especially the last goal), despite a wonderful two-goal effort in the first period.

The Oilers should have been playing San Jose in the 1st Round!

There will be some two-stepping on the Red Mile tonight.

^I'm happy for them. I was hoping Calgary wouldn't just roll over.

^ I'm not happy for them.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Likewise, I cheer for ABC (Anyone But Calgary).

Guess I'm ABAT, 'Anyone But an American Team'. Also, I wanted Chitown to beat them up but lose, so Vancouver could railroad over Calgary in round 2...

I'm pulling for Calgary, and I like the Flames nearly as much as the Oil. But then, I'm from Calgary, and love both cities.

Still a hardcore Stampeder fan.

And a hardcore Habs fan. Not looking to good for Les Canadiens.

Yeahhhh! Burrows! Canucks sweep!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

bulliver:
    They did sweep em? Beautiful. I'm origionally from Vancouver transplated here in 1978. I saw one of the Oiler's original traning camp games in the first season against the Canucks. My dad had Canuck season tickets in 1970. I saw one of their early games too. Vancover and Washington in the finale? I'd love to see that.

Go Canucks Go!!!

^BC expat too, though I did live here grades 5-11. Never stopped being a Canuck fan. I remember as a child, I must have been 7-8 or so, and my dad took us to a Van-Edm game at Rexall (Then, 'The Coleseum'). We were dressed in Canucks jersey's, and we went down during the pre game skate for autographs to the 'nucks side of the ice. I remember thinking 'but I want Gretsky's autograph'. Good times...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks for that

I'd love to see another team in BC, Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec City get a team but that's not going to happen in my lifetime

When the Oilers are out of the playoffs I have a list of who I do not want to win the Stanley Cup.

Coincidentally, tops on my list are three Canadian teams:
    Toronto
    Calgary
    Vancouver
    Anaheim
    Nashville
    Dallas

I don't believe in cheering for a team just because it is a Canadian team. All it does is reinforce Canadian's insecurities with America. Do fans in Minnesota cheer for the Bruins because they are an American team?

On a side note, it was silly for the Montreal fans to boo the American national anthem last night. There are American-born players on the Habs and the team is owned by an American businessman.

p.s....I was also embarrassed when Edmonton fans did the same thing during one of the Dallas series.

I don't believe in cheering for a team just because it is a Canadian team. All it does is reinforce Canadian's insecurities with America
    Uh, yeah, either that or perhaps I just want to see the cup back in Canada for the first time in 15 years.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ You should really be cheering for the team with the most Canadian players as the cup stays with them all summer. Guess we are cheering for Philly lol as we obviously can't/shouldn't cheer for Cowgary.

Vancouver (15 out of 24 are Canadian) 62.5%
    Calgary (18 out of 24) 75%
    Montreal (13 out of 26) 50%

Anaheim (14 out of 26) 53.8%
    San Jose (15 out of 26) 57.7%
    St. Louis (15 out of 26) 57.7%
    Philadelphia (16 out of 22) 72.7%
    Pittsburgh (14 out of 24) 58.3%
    New Jersey (9 out of 24) 37.5%
    New York Rangers (9 out of 21) 42.9%
    Washington (10 out of 24) 41.7%
    Carolina (7 out of 24) 29.2%
    Detroit (6 out of 22) 27.3%
    Columbus (17 out of 2 60.7%
    Boston (15 out of 25) 60%
    Chicago (15 out of 24) 62.5%

For curiosity's sake, the Oilers have 18 out of 26 (69.2%)

Note: Numbers calculated using http://www.nhlnumbers.com/
    Last edited by Hilman; 22-04-2009 at 09:34 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

North Guy66: I'm cheering for Vancouver because I've lived in Vancouver for over 25 years of my life The other half of my life I've live here in the City of Champions. I won't cheer for Calgary. I don't like Calgary but that's another story. As it happens I'm also cheering for Chicago because my dad was a Hawks fan before Vancouver. He was born in El Centro California 1922. He served in the RCAF in WW2 and helped built Syncrude in the early 1970's

Hilman: Thanks for that Handy list. Now if I could find NHL stats on how many times a team has scored 5 on 3 this last regular season would be really handy.

^^ Ok, fine folks, I'll cheer for whomever you tell me to

Calgary has tied the series with the Hawks...setting the stage for Van-Cal round 2?

C2E SME

Calgary-Vancouver would be an interesting series. Calgary still has to win two more games though.

Only possible if Anaheim beats San Jose. But that won't happen.

I hate Vancouver and anything else tainted by Brian Burke. just sayin'

I hate Vancouver fans and Calgary fans. That's one of the reasons why I'll never cheer for those teams.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I love #!6 Sean Avery! He's a great player. Yes he's controversial, Yes he's got attitude, yes he's abrasive and in the spotlight but he has more charisma and spunk then any player I've seen in a long time in the NHL. I wish the Oiler's had him. Without Sean Avery i doubt the Rangers would be where they are in the series.

We all saw the play and that was accidentle. The worst play last night was the glove pass from the Calgary game. Officials should have made that call and it tied the game up. Chicago had that game won. Calgary Flames suck.

Avery is continuing to provide reasons he shouldn't be playing. He has a lot of "accidents" that unfortunately injure other players. He's a jerk, and I think he has a mental illness. An embarrassment to his team, and hockey players in general. The way he's taking stupid penalties, I'm surprises Tort hasn't benched him. He'd be a good player if he had half a brain.

C2E SME

If the Rangers win this round, Boston won't put up with Avery's garbage in the next round, and the Rangers will pay.

I guarantee you that Avery will get very limited ice time for the remainder of the playoffs.

Anaheim is now one game away from eliminating San Jose.

If it comes down to Vancouver versus Calgary ...............Go Canucks Go!!!!!!

Unbelievable. Did you watch Joe Thornton gliding around there? Is he saving himself for the later rounds?

I don't know which is worse, your team not making the playoffs, or having them be one of the top teams in the league and lose in the first round to a team that just squeeked in (like Edm Detroit a few years ago).

There will be no hoe down on the Red Mile tonight.

Torts suspended for one game for spraying a fan with a waterbottle. Ironically, this happened during a game in which he had Avery sitting in the pressbox because he couldn't control himself.

I don't know which is worse, your team not making the playoffs, or having them be one of the top teams in the league and lose in the first round to a team that just squeeked in (like Edm Detroit a few years ago).
    I said it a while ago in this thread (or perhaps another), before a game was played, that San Jose would fail in the playoffs. They always do, nothing new here. The only surprising thing to me, is that people are surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
    Torts suspended for one game for spraying a fan with a waterbottle. Ironically, this happened during a game in which he had Avery sitting in the pressbox because he couldn't control himself.
    tortolleni is a maroon of a coach...it's a miracle he's had any kind of success, well i guess he's got very good players..but his pr skills are similar to a 5 year old bully at a kindergarden...he has a lot to learn from the likes of McT...speaking of... my bet is he will be stationed in manhattan if the rangers fail to win over the capitals...

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast