Thread: ANYBODY have any of these to post !

Addicted to C2E

Default ANYBODY have any of these to post !

Here is a very visual part of Edmonton History .....the PEOPLE!
    Now I know just about anybody that lived in Edmonton in the past has probably one of these of themselves or at least a parent /grandparent....lets POST EM!
    As a tribute to the photographer that had the buisness sence to take them and the people that kept the memory alive .....these are the people that helped EDMONTON survive through good and bad times ...US , the residents of this great city ! ( This one is my dad on the left and a cousin on the right)....I really dig the contrast between the kids and the adults buhind then ...lol..wow....

I'd rather C2E than work!

Sidewalk Suitcase Photographers
    I have a few but cannot post sorry

Addicted to C2E

Default hmmmm

the photographer must've been somebodys brother , father ,son.....anybody remember what his name was or what photo studio he worked out of ?
    If I remember correctly he would take the photo and give you a claim ticket ....you would then go see them and retrieve the photo ( probably really cheap too ! )

I'd rather C2E than work!

there once were fleets of these "grin n' grabbers" all over North America

C2E Posting Power

Is that a cigarette in the big kid's right hand?...Nice pic.
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

Addicted to C2E

it may be .....I'll have to ask him .

Addicted to C2E

Default Finally !,thank you !

Great shot!

IGNITERS, perhaps your dad wouldn't appreciate it, but can you give an approximate date on your photo?

Addicted to C2E

Default I'm gonna guess here...

Quote Originally Posted by byzantine15 View Post
    IGNITERS, perhaps your dad wouldn't appreciate it, but can you give an approximate date on your photo?

I'm guessing about 1948 ( in that area)....
    not much action on this thread huh ? thought it would be a cool idea to see the face of Edmontons past but it seems that folks either don't have any to post ,no scanner , or maybe just don't care .....

First One is Always Free

[QUOTE=IGNITERS;205899]

not much action on this thread huh ? thought it would be a cool idea to see the face of Edmontons past but it seems that folks either don't have any to post ,no scanner , or maybe just don't care .....[/QUOTE

I'd say the picture was probably taken around April or May of 1949, based on three things: no snow on the sidewalks, weather was at least moderate (based on the clothes people were wearing) and the movie displayed on the marquee of the Capitol Theatre in the background. That movie - The Adventures of Don Juan - was released on 01 Dec 1948 in the U.S., but based on release patterns at that time, new releases could take from three and six months to find their way to smaller markets like Edmonton.

Addicted to C2E

Default good eye!

[QUOTE=OLM;206323]
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNITERS View Post

not much action on this thread huh ? thought it would be a cool idea to see the face of Edmontons past but it seems that folks either don't have any to post ,no scanner , or maybe just don't care .....[/QUOTE

I'd say the picture was probably taken around April or May of 1949, based on three things: no snow on the sidewalks, weather was at least moderate (based on the clothes people were wearing) and the movie displayed on the marquee of the Capitol Theatre in the background. That movie - The Adventures of Don Juan - was released on 01 Dec 1948 in the U.S., but based on release patterns at that time, new releases could take from three and six months to find their way to smaller markets like Edmonton.
    gOOD EyE !
    Thats something I usually spot but missed it this time !
    Thanks for the timeline, now I have a better Idea ( I just guessed but whew came close anyhow)

Great detective work. OLM. 'The adventures of Don Juan, eh? No wonder the little fellows look slightly corrupted. Joking of course. You're right, IGNITERS, I expected there to be more responses to this thread. At one time I had at least one of those pics. Unfortunately my affection for memorabilia developed much later, so I don't hold out much hope for finding it.
    Last edited by byzantine15; 09-07-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: grammar

First One is Always Free

I have some of my mother, my mother & father and just my father. Unfortunately, I do not have them on my work computer.

I also remember when I was young in the 1960's that Sidewalk was still in business. Sometimes, it was a bit annoying. I sometimes wonder that no-one has attempted to do this again with digital photography as it is. "Candids on Jasper." hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Default Sidewalk Photos

Here is one of my late wife on the right taken in 1968 on Jasper Ave

Cant figure out how to post a pic from my Putor!!! My pics are not links or Urls!!
    Last edited by 567chevy; 05-06-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Trying to post piuc. No can do. When I sect inser image it brings me to an URL screen My pics are on my computor.

Here's a how to on how to upload a picture to Imgur.com.

Once you get a picture uploaded, look to the right of the image, click the "Large Thumbnail" link under the Sizes section, and then copy the text under the "BBCode (message boards & forums)" or "Linked BBCode (message boards)" , and paste the text into your post.