Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stoney Trail Calgary

First One is Always Free

And about freakin time too. Unfortunately we are looking at a 6-7 year construction from what I can see and there is still the critical west leg of the road which needs to be built. Until that goes ahead Stoney will still just be a 3/4 Ring Road.

C2E SME

Wow! I hope that Edmonton gets something similar:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...479/story.html
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Uhm why? Our ring road is just about finished.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

What about making the Yellowhead free-flow? Something like 127 Street/Yellowhead would have a lot of benefits.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    What about making the Yellowhead free-flow? Something like 127 Street/Yellowhead would have a lot of benefits.
    Just throwing darts there eh Cat?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Why does it seem that lately Calgary is awash in federal cash while Edmonton gets much less?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Why does it seem that lately Calgary is awash in federal cash while Edmonton gets much less?
    Federal election coming soon, and who votes for who traditionally.

Amazingly, he managed to say this with a straight face.

“This is not a government that believes in pork-barrel politics,” the defence minister and Calgary Southeast MP told reporters at the announcement in Calgary’s west end.

“This is a government that believes in economically important infrastructure investments in the context of balanced budgets and low taxes. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.”

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...gary-ring-road

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So no Con election goodies for Edmonton then?

Yet?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^I'm quietly, and with no basis or foundation for it, hoping that maybe the SE line will get funding to be built in full to WEM. That would seem to be fair given the Calgary line announcement. Stoney Trail was always going to get funded I guess, since AHD did (not that I think its a smart use of money).

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I'm quietly, and with no basis or foundation for it, hoping that maybe the SE line will get funding to be built in full to WEM. That would seem to be fair given the Calgary line announcement. Stoney Trail was always going to get funded I guess, since AHD did (not that I think its a smart use of money).
    Based on history, if Calgary is in receipt of government funding or support for a project, Edmonton is viewed as "whiners" for wanting similar resources. Interesting enough, there is the widespread perception across the south that "whatever Edmonton gets, Calgary gets too."

C2E SME

Well based off of the last time I drove through the city, they desperately need something done because traffic in Calgary is horrendous.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Nice of them to get federal funding for their ring road; I don't think the feds chipped in on the Henday.

At least Calgary's screwing Canada and not just Edmonton and the rest I the province. I hope some national media picks up on this... I just don't expect it to be any of the Sun newspapers.

C2E Continued Contributor

I don't expect any media outlet to pick up on it. Canada and especially Alberta love jerking Calgary off

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Nice of them to get federal funding for their ring road; I don't think the feds chipped in on the Henday.
    Given Stoney trail was going to be paid for by the province, just like AHD, isnt it a good thing if the federal government instead pays (freeing up cash for the province to spend on other things)? Neither road was paid for by their respective cities. Personally I think they should have been built with tolls, but so be it.

Maybe the feds can now pay for albertas portion of west lrt in Edmonton

So very Moahunter of you to ignore the whole "Calgary knew where Stoney Trail was going to go for decades and allowed development in the area, knowing they'd be screwing whoever down the road was holding the purse strings when the land had to be bought from the Tsuu T'ina for top dollar". Calgary could have used it's North-America-renowned ability to sprawl and sprawl in different directions, leaving the future ring road land untouched.

At least, that's what actual, bona-fide fiscal conservatives would do.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    So very Moahunter of you to ignore the whole "Calgary knew where Stoney Trail was going to go for decades and allowed development in the area, knowing they'd be screwing whoever down the road was holding the purse strings when the land had to be bought from the Tsuu T'ina for top dollar". Calgary could have used it's North-America-renowned ability to sprawl and sprawl in different directions, leaving the future ring road land untouched.

At least, that's what actual, bona-fide fiscal conservatives would do.
    No, bona ride conservatives would have implemented user pays with toll roads. That's what they do in places like Houston, Texas. We now have a liberal government dishing out the funds all over the place, I don't like it, but if it means the province has more to spend (every dollar Feds pay for this is one less that the province will), it's not the end of the world, albeit the NDP will probably waste the freed up money on higher civil service salaries, Doctor pay, or similar.
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-07-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Moahunter likes taxpayer-funded boondoggles when they fellate Calgary or the Millitary Industrial Complex (F-35). That's how we know Moahunter isn't a true fiscal conservative.

Default Province signs $1.42b P3 for Calgary SW section

Through the 2014 New Building Canada Plan, Ottawa has committed up to 25 per cent of eligible cost of the project.

Mountain View Partners consists of:
    ■Project Lead: Meridiam, Kiewit, Ledcor, Connor Clark and Lunn
    ■Financing Lead: Meridiam
    ■Design-Construction Lead: Kiewit, Graham and Ledcor.
    ■Operation and Maintenance Lead: Alberta Highway Services Ltd.

Major construction is set to begin this fall following preliminary work that began earlier this summer.

The southwest portion of the ring road is expected to be open in 2021.

The southwest portion of the ring road will stretch from Highway 22x to Highway 8 along the city's western edge and through land purchased from the Tsuut'ina Nation.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...west-1.3763958

Note that there's still another leg to complete the road, the west leg... probably another $1.5B. It will include massive earthworks for a deep trench that needs to be dug to get the road to an acceptable grade up the hill, and a costly second bridge crossing the river as a twin structure for the existing bridge:

Last edited by Acey; 15-09-2016 at 06:03 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

An upgraded Sarcee from Hwy 8 to TCH will serve as part of the ring road in the interim so it will likely be over a long term that the remainder is completed. The bridge is presently 4 lane as well.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 16-09-2016 at 05:23 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^A second bridge immediately to the east of the existing one over the Bow River is in the plans, and can be seen at about the 40 second mark of the West Calgary Ring Road animation here:

https://calgaryringroad.wordpress.co...-virtual-tour/

To avoid creating a choke point, a second bridge over the Bow River is imperative with the existing NW Stoney Trail between the QE2 and Crowchild already 6 lanes.

I know, but just saying if it's done over a longer stretch the economic hit doesn't seem quite so bad. The figure I have heard for that entire west side is $5 billion. SW, W, bridges, purchase of land, exchange of land, all costs.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 16-09-2016 at 09:51 AM.

$1.4B is the contract but there are significant land acquisition and utility costs...

Transportation Minister Brian Mason said Thursday the total cost for the roadway comes in at $2.2 billion — $700 million under budget

Still well under budget, apparently.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...t-moving-ahead

Naming ceremony officially marks start of construction on southwest section of Calgary Ring Road

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...6E46DB7E4D4190

Today in Calgary, Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, on behalf of Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, Brian Mason, Minister of Infrastructure and Minister of Transportation, Lee Crowchild, Chief of the Tsuut’ina Nation, and Naheed Nenshi, mayor of the City of Calgary, officially commemorated the start of construction on the southwest section of the Calgary Ring Road and the re-naming of a portion of the road “Tsuut’ina Trail.”

This work represents the start of one of two remaining sections of the larger Calgary Ring Road, which will make it easier for people and products to move across the city and the province. Major construction got underway on the project in 2017 and the project is expected to be substantially complete and open to traffic in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Acey View Post
    $1.4B is the contract but there are significant land acquisition and utility costs...

Transportation Minister Brian Mason said Thursday the total cost for the roadway comes in at $2.2 billion — $700 million under budget

Still well under budget, apparently.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...t-moving-ahead
    Does not include Trans Canada to Glenmore portion, does not include huge land purchases west of hwy 22 and given to Sarcee IR in exchange for land and other costs. The second half (Glenmore to TCH will be put off until later, likely 2022)
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-07-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Does not include Trans Canada to Glenmore portion, does not include huge land purchases west of hwy 22 and given to Sarcee IR in exchange for land and other costs. The second half (Glenmore to TCH will be put off until later, likely 2022)
    The article clearly says "southwest ring road" and does not in any way imply they're also talking about the west leg.

Yes, just trying to make that clear as I had a couple of friends thinking this meant the completion, not realizing there are two sections. Calgarians by the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12